finally install bilstein 6112, 5160, and zone uca

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cityredneck

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pretty sure i got all my stuff from rock auto to prebuild, i cant remember

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question for you... Once you have the front struts prebuilt is it just a matter of removing the 3 nuts on the top of the strut mount and the single bolt holding the bottom end???

OP
OP
cityredneck

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question for you... Once you have the front struts prebuilt is it just a matter of removing the 3 nuts on the top of the strut mount and the single bolt holding the bottom end???

since i was replacing the upper control arm with an aftermarket one, i removed the upper control arm, disconnected the tie rod from the spindle, i removed the nut for the cv axle going into the rotor (to get a little more droop), the 3 nuts at the top of the strut, and the lower bolt on the strut. it was a little bit of a struggle and lots of cuss words to get the oem strut out and new strut in. i think thats all.

Ulf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kind of an old thread, but anyway

I’m about to pre assemble my 6112’s, doi I need the plastic or rubber insert thing for in between the spring mount and spring and in between the spring and top hat ?

is metal to metal ok here ?

thank you all

OP
OP
cityredneck

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kind of an old thread, but anyway

I’m about to pre assemble my 6112’s, doi I need the plastic or rubber insert thing for in between the spring mount and spring and in between the spring and top hat ?

is metal to metal ok here ?

thank you all
dang, it's been a bit, i think the thing i had was hard rubber? i can't remember though positively

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
got a chance to install the bilstein 6112, 5160, 3/4 inch spacer, and the zone uca today.

i bought the shocks last year sept 2020.

install wasnt to bad, took about 5 hours total for everything, thats with me, my dad, my friend and his son giving each other hell while i was doing all the work.

will be taking the truck to get it aligned in the morning.

i had the front shocks set to the 2.8 setting and for the rear i used the 3/4 inch spacer, i might swap out to a 1 inch spacer later down the road.

the rear is 1/2 inch higher than the front right now.

i freaking love the ride!

https://www.ramforum.com/media/driver-bil-6112.31075/full
https://www.ramforum.com/media/driver-rear-bil-5160.31077/full
https://www.ramforum.com/media/pass-bil-6112.31079/full
https://www.ramforum.com/media/pass-rear-bil-5160.31082/full
https://www.ramforum.com/media/leveled.31078/full
@cityredneck , sorry to bother you on an old post, but did you upgrade to this from stock shocks/struts, or did you have Bilstein 5100s before this? I've got Bilstein 5100s front and back on mine now, and am curious about upgrading to 6112/5160 sometime in the future, but not if the ride quality is about the same (I have a feeling it is). Nevertheless, yours is a VERY nice setup. How have you been enjoying it since last year? Any issues or thoughts now that you've had them for a bit?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@cityredneck , sorry to bother you on an old post, but did you upgrade to this from stock shocks/struts, or did you have Bilstein 5100s before this? I've got Bilstein 5100s front and back on mine now, and am curious about upgrading to 6112/5160 sometime in the future, but not if the ride quality is about the same (I have a feeling it is). Nevertheless, yours is a VERY nice setup. How have you been enjoying it since last year? Any issues or thoughts now that you've had them for a bit?
5160 and 5100 rear are exactly the same just the 5160 has a reservoir which helps reduce heat buildup on rougher terrain. I’ve had both. 5100 and 6112 are the same valving but the 6112 larger body brings in the increased oil capacity as well as increased oil flow which aids in dampening on or off road. I will be switching to 6112 at some point as my 5100s are not cutting it for me anymore. I love them but would like to be able to push the truck a bit harder than the 5100s like.

OP
OP
cityredneck

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not a problem, yes, upgraded from stock struts/shocks. i set mine at 2.8, and then i did 3/4 inch spacers under the rear springs along with the shocks. i love the new ride, i certainly think it was worth the money.