Finally taking highway!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would love to know how all these QCSB 4x4 people are getting anywhere near 20mpg. I just did a 1300 mile round trip in mine 14mpg average.
If you bought the EcoD, you would probably be asking "How are you guys getting over 30 mpg?"
(not my dash, 2015 Laramie)
d111c4be69dcdf38957bf609ff2094d6.jpg
I have managed to get 28 myself.

OUMX117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you bought the EcoD, you would probably be asking "How are you guys getting over 30 mpg?"
(not my dash, 2015 Laramie)
d111c4be69dcdf38957bf609ff2094d6.jpg
I have managed to get 28 myself.

Probably. lol. I guess I was just hoping that this truck would get better mileage than my lifted 07 harley f250 on 35" Toyo MTs with Road armor bumper and winch. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love driving the truck. But I feel like something must be wrong with mine since its getting such poor mileage.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably. lol. I guess I was just hoping that this truck would get better mileage than my lifted 07 harley f250 on 35" Toyo MTs with Road armor bumper and winch. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love driving the truck. But I feel like something must be wrong with mine since its getting such poor mileage.

Just put some led out of your right foot and let the engine work. 13mpg- that's what I get with my camper hooked up. 18-19 when my wife runs me from home Depot to garden ridge, lowes, Marshalls, walmart, pet smart, shoe carnival and back. 21-22 when I drive to work. Just let it roll. I don't have to race with Honda civic's or 6- cylinder mustangs. That helps a lot.

OUMX117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put some led out of your right foot and let the engine work. 13mpg- that's what I get with my camper hooked up. 18-19 when my wife runs me from home Depot to garden ridge, lowes, Marshalls, walmart, pet smart, shoe carnival and back. 21-22 when I drive to work. Just let it roll. I don't have to race with Honda civic's or 6- cylinder mustangs. That helps a lot.

There must be something wrong with my truck if you can get 13mpg with your camper. Trust me, I drive with the intent of coasting, not using brakes, etc and I can barely get over what you get with a camper. I have pulled a small 12' utility trailer with a lawnmower on it and got about 10mpg. I'm absolutely terrified to see what this thing will get pulling my enclosed trailer (3600 lb empty + about 3500lb of gear). My guess is about 6mpg...:suicide:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There must be something wrong with my truck if you can get 13mpg with your camper. Trust me, I drive with the intent of coasting, not using brakes, etc and I can barely get over what you get with a camper. I have pulled a small 12' utility trailer with a lawnmower on it and got about 10mpg. I'm absolutely terrified to see what this thing will get pulling my enclosed trailer (3600 lb empty + about 3500lb of gear). My guess is about 6mpg...:suicide:

If you are hand calculating your mileage and that is the best you get if you are driving as gentle as you say you are then there is something wrong. My 2014 CC with 3:55 rear gets just over 20mpg on highway and minimum 16 non highway.

You may want to have a serious conversation with your dealer.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes- you need to see your family friendly dealership in the neighborhood.
basically it can be everything from clogged up air filter till unimaginable stuff you don't even know it's in there.
And don't let them brush you off. make notes. I would reset the display before every drive, make notes of mileage, how long you drove, what conditions and the fuel mileage. also keep the receipts from your tank bill and note the miles and date on it. If you do this for - we say, a week or two- you have enough evidence that the mpg is not normal. I don't know how good you are with Excel, but I would make a spread sheet- there you can also make a pivot table with a nice fuel consumption graphic- that looks always good. if you want to do it over the top- make a power point presentation out of it. that kills the dealer. believe it or not- without data you're just another person with an opinion (that's what I have over my desk :) )
Good luck.

Last edited:

OUMX117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes- you need to see your family friendly dealership in the neighborhood.
basically it can be everything from clogged up air filter till unimaginable stuff you don't even know it's in there.
And don't let them brush you off. make notes. I would reset the display before every drive, make notes of mileage, how long you drove, what conditions and the fuel mileage. also keep the receipts from your tank bill and note the miles and date on it. If you do this for - we say, a week or two- you have enough evidence that the mpg is not normal. I don't know how good you are with Excel, but I would make a spread sheet- there you can also make a pivot table with a nice fuel consumption graphic- that looks always good. if you want to do it over the top- make a power point presentation out of it. that kills the dealer. believe it or not- without data you're just another person with an opinion (that's what I have over my desk :) )
Good luck.

That's a good plan. I've started tracking my mileage with Fuelly, so I have all the data needed to make a nice pivot table. I may go that route. i just started about 1500 miles ago (when I bought the truck) so I may give it a little longer so I can have a more sizeable sampling to input .

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

8-10 for me when towing. If you're not on tapatalk you can see my fuelly below with average of 15.5 or so.