Finally upgraded tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ended up going with stock size BFG KO2's...I might have gotten 285/60/20 if they had been in stock, but they weren't so I got 275/60/20.

They are nice and quiet on the road, the ride is slightly stiffer but that's not always a terrible thing in a truck.

I considered E rated tires pretty hard to be honest, but in reality they're overkill on a 1/2 ton truck...I only tow a 4,500 pound boat anyway and sometimes for pretty long trips, really didn't want to give up too much ride quality.

The new tires make it look like a truck at least, pure street tires just look funny on "most" 4x4 trucks (if its dropped and set up as a street truck they look good).

Back to the "quiet"... I'm surprised they're that quiet, they're just as quiet as the SRA's I took off.

I've ran BFG tires in the past and always liked them....ran the mud terrains on a couple of trucks back in the 90's, I hope these all terrains live up to that.

Edited to add: I'm running them at 50 psi.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had those tires, but 285/65/20’s. They were good tires and out lasted the Goodyear POS’s the truck came with and out performed them. The difference was night and day.

did you level your truck, or do they fit on truck at stock height ? Tks

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We lived on a crappy dirt road for 15 years and I ran those KO2's and really liked them. Great traction and fairly quiet on the highway. When we moved here to real paved streets and the KO2's wore out went to Michelin LTX AT2's for the quiet ride. I did like those KO2's a lot though.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good upgrade! Quiet tires are the best. Congrats!

OP
OP
R

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We lived on a crappy dirt road for 15 years and I ran those KO2's and really liked them. Great traction and fairly quiet on the highway. When we moved here to real paved streets and the KO2's wore out went to Michelin LTX AT2's for the quiet ride. I did like those KO2's a lot though.
I considered those AT2's also... wanted to look at them but they weren't in stock either... the only tires that fit my wants and needs that were in stock were the KO2's, which were at the top of my list, but I did intend to check out others if they'd had them in stock.

OP
OP
R

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is pretty dirty, but here's a couple pics.

20210306-143723.jpg

20210306-143714.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been researching some on what PSI is recommended in these tires... I've been reading all sorts of opinions from all over the internet off and on all day....differing opinions at that.

Then by chance I go to the BFG website looking for something in the tire specs, the website asks for my vehicle type...I put the info in there, and presto....it pops up right there on the website.

"Requires a pressure increase to 48 psi"

It only works for tires that the website sees as compatible with your vehicle (OEM tire size)... but now I've got it right from the manufacturer.... I'm going to run them at 50 psi though, I like round easy to remember numbers and I doubt there is a tire gauge out there accurate to within 2 psi anyway, I was running the old tires at 40 psi and they were wearing even... the door sticker says 39 psi.

Discount Tire put 40 in the KO2's when they installed them, I bumped them up to 55 when I got home, I'll drop them down to 50 tomorrow and call it good.

Screenshot-20210307-005852-Chrome.jpg

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been researching some on what PSI is recommended in these tires... I've been reading all sorts of opinions from all over the internet off and on all day....differing opinions at that.

Then by chance I go to the BFG website looking for something in the tire specs, the website asks for my vehicle type...I put the info in there, and presto....it pops up right there on the website.

"Requires a pressure increase to 48 psi"

It only works for tires that the website sees as compatible with your vehicle (OEM tire size)... but now I've got it right from the manufacturer.... I'm going to run them at 50 psi though, I like round easy to remember numbers and I doubt there is a tire gauge out there accurate to within 2 psi anyway, I was running the old tires at 40 psi and they were wearing even... the door sticker says 39 psi.

Discount Tire put 40 in the KO2's when they installed them, I bumped them up to 55 when I got home, I'll drop them down to 50 tomorrow and call it good.

Screenshot-20210307-005852-Chrome.jpg

48 psi matches what the load inflation table indicates. That’s cool BFG provides that info with a click or two.

OP
OP
R

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something I thought I'd add here because I was curious about it before I upgraded to LT tires...

The TPMS is fine with the increased tire pressure, it doesn't light up the tire pressure warning, at least not up to 58 psi... that's as high as mine has been.

I asked the dealership about changing the psi setting, but they say they're not allowed to do that... so it won't give a low pressure warning until they go down into the low 30 psi range.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something I thought I'd add here because I was curious about it before I upgraded to LT tires...

The TPMS is fine with the increased tire pressure, it doesn't light up the tire pressure warning, at least not up to 58 psi... that's as high as mine has been.

I asked the dealership about changing the psi setting, but they say they're not allowed to do that... so it won't give a low pressure warning until they go down into the low 30 psi range.

Does the OBD MX+ allow a change to the pressure setting for alerts in the software? Haven't looked that close at that section...Ii will now that I'm moving to Fuel Gripper M/Ts

OP
OP
R

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure... I don't have those toys yet, but am looking at getting them.

Sir James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Toddbigboytruck

I just bought a '19 RAM 1500 Big Horn. Are those the 20' wheels? If So, what size did you get? My truck came with 275/55/20 and it's too small sidewall for me. It rides great, but I hate the stock Nexen tires. Going to upgrade in a day or two, but I want to go bigger if it won't rub.

OP
OP
R

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm seeing a significant loss of MPG with the new LT tires...11 pounds heavier per tire, so its no big surprise.

I've lost somewhere between .1 and .3 mpg.... still too early to nail it down exactly but its certainly there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ended up going with stock size BFG KO2's...I might have gotten 285/60/20 if they had been in stock, but they weren't so I got 275/60/20.

They are nice and quiet on the road, the ride is slightly stiffer but that's not always a terrible thing in a truck.

I considered E rated tires pretty hard to be honest, but in reality they're overkill on a 1/2 ton truck...I only tow a 4,500 pound boat anyway and sometimes for pretty long trips, really didn't want to give up too much ride quality.

The new tires make it look like a truck at least, pure street tires just look funny on "most" 4x4 trucks (if its dropped and set up as a street truck they look good).

Back to the "quiet"... I'm surprised they're that quiet, they're just as quiet as the SRA's I took off.

I've ran BFG tires in the past and always liked them....ran the mud terrains on a couple of trucks back in the 90's, I hope these all terrains live up to that.

Edited to add: I'm running them at 50 psi.

imo crazy how quiet these are, I just did the same. Love the grip over the oem, from day one I had to feature the throttle when taking off even with dog 3.55's. Not any more! Also, I cant believe how much better they are over pot holes.