First performance mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am looking into doing some performance mods to my 2010 Ram 1500,has the 5.7 hemi.This will be my first time having this done.I mainly use it for hauling and some pulling.I have been told opening the intake up is one with a cold air kit and exhaust.I don't want to get inside the engine just yet and been told the E3 spark plugs are a waste of money for the 5.7 hemi.It has 46,000 miles on it and I am not rushing into this.I am looking into opinions on this

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many opinions on the mods, but it's pretty well agreed the cheap NGK copper plugs are best for our engines.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i did my cai and exhaust. i think i should have been better going with a tuner....best bang for the buck. :imo:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you haven't changed the plugs you are past due, and tuner will get you easy power, but if you tow and haul I would look at a Torque convertor upgrade with a valve body. That isn't a close call for someone who tows in my opinion.

Engines make power, gears and tranny's put that power on the street.

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Like said above, at 46k miles, you are due to change the plugs, and the copper NGK's are the way to go.

I also agree with making the tuner your first mod. You will gain more from the tuner than you will from the intake and exhaust combined. I would recommend adding a catch can along with the tuner though for cheap insurance.

When it comes to tuners, you have many options being a 2010. The most affordable is the Superchips Flashpaq 3865 which is actually a great bolt on tuner. Most guys see 20-25hp with this tuner and their transmission control is great. From there, I would look into 1 of the Diablo tuners. Their HP gains are very similar to Superchips, but their transmission control isn't as strong. If you want the best of the best, then I would go with a Diablo tuner and add a custom tune from Hemifever. This tuning will net you upwards of 30hp as well as advanced transmission tuning. You can get the Diablo InTune with custom Hemifever tuning for only $439 or the Diablo Trinity with Hemifever custom tune for $599.

OP
OP
A

alexis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been talked into the diablo tuner and going with this option first.Going to have the spark plugs changed on Wendsday and my mechanic is going to install the copper NGKs.My mechanic scanned it since the check engine light came on,a PO303 which is a #3 missfire appeared.I have been told there are 16 spark plugs,1 for the exhaust and for the intake for each cylinder and it is for emissions reasons.Transmission shifts fine and it could be a little better.Transmission fluid and filter are going to be changed too when the spark plugs are changed at the same time and I know ATF+4 is only used.It is getting due for that also.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you tow a lot might want to look at changing out gear oil in diffs and T-case while he is under there doing the tranny.

OP
OP
A

alexis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Gear lube was changed two weeks ago including the transfer case fluid.I keep the truck maintained very well and on the oil changes on time.The plugs were due to be changed and runs good now,done today.The transmission fluid and filter were changed too.The employee that replaced the spark plugs was caught grabbing the wrong ATF instead of the ATF+4 fluid.My mechanic chewed him out for it.I bought a diablo tuner from a friend of mine for mine.He ordered it for another customer,the customer did not want it.I came over to his shop after work and installed it.Transmission shifts a lot better now.I mainly tow my dirt bike trailer.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sweet you are on your way to a lighter bank account like the rest of us lol. :D