First Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Went out on a little road trip today with the Longhorn. Set the cruise and let it run. Made one stop on the way out at a rest stop. Getting back out on to the thruway, had to really get on it to get to speed(short on ramp). I never really hit the throttle heavy like that before....always kind of just took it easy on getting it up to speed. It got to 70MPH in short order for a big truck. There was a little break in the travel lane and shot right up behind the 18 wheeler without causing anyone else to have to slow down to let me in. Of course there was 2019-2020 Megacab Laramie that had the Cummins, side up to me in the passing lane....guys looked over in the Laramie and gave me the nod like, "that was pretty good..." when I got out on to the Thruway.

Average 13.1 MPG on the way out, did better on the way back, wasn't going as fast on the way back. Had to goose it to get around some traffic here and there.

I like the Longhorn more and more. The 6.4 does surprise me at how quick it can get the big truck moving. The boss lady loves the seats in it, so there's that. :)

Can't wait to move on and get a 5'er and see how well it does towing with one of those. A lot more room than a travel trailer.

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my 2019 Bighorn with the trailering tech package. I came from a F250 and there’s a big difference on the New England hills towing a 7500 lb tt. The Ford would downshift but loose speed on the hills. This ram just drops down if it needs to but the speed stays constant using cruise control.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Went out on a little road trip today with the Longhorn. Set the cruise and let it run. Made one stop on the way out at a rest stop. Getting back out on to the thruway, had to really get on it to get to speed(short on ramp). I never really hit the throttle heavy like that before....always kind of just took it easy on getting it up to speed. It got to 70MPH in short order for a big truck. There was a little break in the travel lane and shot right up behind the 18 wheeler without causing anyone else to have to slow down to let me in. Of course there was 2019-2020 Megacab Laramie that had the Cummins, side up to me in the passing lane....guys looked over in the Laramie and gave me the nod like, "that was pretty good..." when I got out on to the Thruway.

Average 13.1 MPG on the way out, did better on the way back, wasn't going as fast on the way back. Had to goose it to get around some traffic here and there.

I like the Longhorn more and more. The 6.4 does surprise me at how quick it can get the big truck moving. The boss lady loves the seats in it, so there's that. :)

Can't wait to move on and get a 5'er and see how well it does towing with one of those. A lot more room than a travel trailer.
Cool, glad you're loving the new truck!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Son's TT weighed 8100lbs (truck was also 8100lbs) going to Texas a few weeks ago. 1400 miles and a 16,180 CAT weigh slip and it towed like a dream. He has a 2018 2500 6.4 with 4.10's

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

What are you pulling and where did you pull it to? What kind of terrain? I just got my 19 Bighorn 2 weeks ago and can’t wait to see how it tows our 7-8k pound travel trailer. We got a trip around Halloween. Looks like the fuel mileage is a lot better than the 1500 I had. It would only get 7-9 mpg towing out TT. Glad you like it. We love ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
What are you pulling and where did you pull it to? What kind of terrain? I just got my 19 Bighorn 2 weeks ago and can’t wait to see how it tows our 7-8k pound travel trailer. We got a trip around Halloween. Looks like the fuel mileage is a lot better than the 1500 I had. It would only get 7-9 mpg towing out TT. Glad you like it. We love ours.

I didn't pull anything, just took a road trip. Sorry if making the statement about getting a 5'er misled anyone thinking I was towing and getting that mileage.

I was running upper 70's MPH when driving.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't pull anything, just took a road trip. Sorry if making the statement about getting a 5'er misled anyone thinking I was towing and getting that mileage.

I was running upper 70's MPH when driving.

Ok yeah I thought you were pulling something but you never really said either way but that’s my bad for assuming. I thought that was really good pulling something. But I still think that’s decent for the big ole truck going that fast. You have the 3.73 or 4.10 gears?

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Ok yeah I thought you were pulling something but you never really said either way but that’s my bad for assuming. I thought that was really good pulling something. But I still think that’s decent for the big ole truck going that fast. You have the 3.73 or 4.10 gears?

I90 through NY has some long steep hills towards the Eastern part going towards Albany.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I tow a 9000+lb boat with mine and my son tows an 8000+lb TT with his (both 2018's with 4.10's) and they tow fine and get about 8.5 MPG towing

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My travel trailer is 7000 pounds dry, and the 6.4 doesn't miss a beat pulling it!
I've caught myself runnin 80mph draggin our 28ft Jayco at close to 7,000lbs with my 6.4. Sometimes I feel like I'm holdin that motor back goin down the highway with camper in tow LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk