First time owning a dodge need help with distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I picked up a 1989 w150 with 318tbi today from a friend. The timing set was changed before I got it and I know they were in line as I was over there when they did it, but they just couldnt get it in time correctly. Well I went ahead and changed the cap and rotor cause they were in bad shape. Set it to TDC and the rotor was facing the cyl.1 like my Haynes book said. I let it warm up then unhooked the temp sensor like it said to but the timing mark is nowhere near where it needs to be, sticker under hood says 10°BTDC, but it's way advanced. I rotated the distributor but the more I turned it clock wise the worse it ran and the further I went counterclockwise it ran better but the wires for the advance are stretched to the limit. Is it possible its 180° out? I'm being told by some that the oil gear needs to be lifted and turned but I've had other people say the 318 doesnt work like that. so I'm kind of at a loss and the Haynes manual doesnt have the answers I seek.
Any help would be super appreciated.
Eddie

orionlover69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Sounds like the wires are short. It's an 89 so it's at the end of the LA version. Most likely if it runs good and wires are short, it's just that. Mine has a vacuum advance so it's a little different. Was the wire set aftermarket? There are differences in distribution for a engine like a 318 opposed to a 360. Better research that Haynes or better yet, check those wires and see if they are designed for your engine.

OP
OP
E

Ed88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the wires are short. It's an 89 so it's at the end of the LA version. Most likely if it runs good and wires are short, it's just that. Mine has a vacuum advance so it's a little different. Was the wire set aftermarket? There are differences in distribution for a engine like a 318 opposed to a 360. Better research that Haynes or better yet, check those wires and see if they are designed for your engine.

Are you meaning the plug wires are to short or that they have a short in them? They arent pulled tight the ignition advance ones are.

I've been fiddling with it more and the distributor cant turn any more. I'm starting to think that the oil gear really is off a tooth. Was really hoping not to do that as I know it's a pain in the ass to do.

318willrun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
couple of things. Turning it counter clockwise will advance ignition timing (or "initial" timing). You advance (counter clockwise) to go "before" top dead center. I would start around 10-12* advanced. If your plug wires are starting to pull, you can move the plug wires on place back all the way around then back the distributor accordingly. Done this several times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990