Flowmaster muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After doing the single to dual swap, I've decided to get rid of the stock muffler. Just ordered a Flowmaster Outlaw (#817633). It should be here tomorrow. Gonna be sitting around during our garage sale and hope to put it on when it's not busy. I'm looking forward to having some growl to the exhaust.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After doing the single to dual swap, I've decided to get rid of the stock muffler. Just ordered a Flowmaster Outlaw (#817633). It should be here tomorrow. Gonna be sitting around during our garage sale and hope to put it on when it's not busy. I'm looking forward to having some growl to the exhaust.

Did you get the direct fit.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. I don't really have the time or inclination to fab it myself. I got a pretty good deal on it.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep. I don't really have the time or inclination to fab it myself. I got a pretty good deal on it.

That's what I put on mine.I didn't want to have to mess with a muffler shop. Around here they charge like there doctors or something.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really looking forward to it. From what few videos I saw it sounds very aggressive when you get on it and not particularly loud when cruising. I wanted something that barked when you stepped on the gas.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet deal...flowmaster is what I always end up going with on my vehicles.

They just have a distinct throaty sound.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the outlaw series is the louder of the two......the american thunder is the quieter one. I have the direct fit american thunder and its more than loud enough, i couldn't imagine how loud the outlaw will be. I'm also not the most fond of outrageously loud pipes anymore, but the american thunder i have has a nice throaty gurggle when you start and then mellows out when driving. Get on the gas when on the highway and you hear it, but not too loud. The outlaw must be a bit louder when you get on it, perhaps thats the difference.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the muffler installed. It went fairly easy except for the drivers side pipe. The tab on the pipe didn't want to align with the slot on the muffler. I twisted it a bit trying to get it slotted in and the tab popped off. Problem solved.

After I got everything tightened up I took it for a ride and I gotta wonder. Why the hell does Flowmaster paint the muffler? The stink coming off of it from the paint cooking was strong enough to make me think the truck was on fire. Scared the crap out of me.

Anyhow, it sounds pretty good, very aggressive when you get on it. A little drone at certain RPM's, but pretty quiet just cruising.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Sweet deal...flowmaster is what I always end up going with on my vehicles.

They just have a distinct throaty sound.

I love my flowmaster 40. I won't have any other way.

My best friends ram has true dual magnaflows and he even admits it sounds really good. And louder.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's too late now, but where did you guys buy the direct fit? I couldn't find it for less than $360. I ended up buying the flowmaster 50HD and having the local shop install. Total cost was $250.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The direct fit is stainless plus the added pipes is why its more money. Your 50HD is just aluminized and will rust pretty quick if you drive in the "salt belt". If just the 50HD was stainless and priced right I would get it, but honestly for the price + stainless I cant pass up Magnaflow

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why the hell does Flowmaster paint the muffler? The stink coming off of it from the paint cooking was strong enough to make me think the truck was on fire.

I don't think what you are smelling is the paint on the muffler. It's the underbody sealant/paint used on the truck from the factory. When you put an aftermarket exhaust on it runs hotter than stock and cures the underbody paint to a higher temperature. Every truck experiences this with a new exhaust and the newer the truck the worse the smell because of how fresh that paint is.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think what you are smelling is the paint on the muffler. It's the underbody sealant/paint used on the truck from the factory. When you put an aftermarket exhaust on it runs hotter than stock and cures the underbody paint to a higher temperature. Every truck experiences this with a new exhaust and the newer the truck the worse the smell because of how fresh that paint is.

Maybe, maybe not... you can definitely see the paint darkening/changing color on the muffler. It sits far enough away from the body of the truck that I don't think that's where the smell is coming from and there's no discoloration to anything but the muffler. Can't believe that FM runs much hotter than stock since there isn't anything to impede the flow. But, who knows...

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's too late now, but where did you guys buy the direct fit? I couldn't find it for less than $360. I ended up buying the flowmaster 50HD and having the local shop install. Total cost was $250.

Ebay 275 shipped free. Mvp Auto parts was the seller. I have the American thunder stainless 50 hd direct fit.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got mine through AutoAnything, about $290 shipped.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
the only exhaust I did not care for after approximately 6 months re SRT8 Challenger

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as flowmaster, the 50 series hd is the only muffler designed for the hemi engine. It has a great sound and flows well. I have had the borla xs pro, many magnaflows, even true duals, this is by far the best muffler I have run. increased low end torque, and I have recorded my highest ETA with a 13.9 second 1/4 mile at 98.6 mph.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know this is a wild question, but for our 5.7 Hemi do we have one muffler or two before I order ?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AxleFolly