Flowmaster Super 40 Muffler install - sounds great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a new Flowmaster Super 40 muffler and it sounds great.

In my opinion, the new 2019 Ram Hemi OEM exhaust is too quiet. I know Ram is trying to push the "luxury" and wants to make the interior dead quite but one of the reasons I bought the Ram is for the Hemi and I want to hear the rumble, but not too loudly.

When most of us buy a new Harley, one of the first things we do is replace the exhaust so we can hear the signature Harley rumble - they same goes for my new Ram.

My son has a 2018 Ram Hemi and did the muffler delete - it sounds good but too loud. The new 2019 Rams have larger dual pipe resonators that seam to quiet the exhaust even more than the smaller 2018 Ram OEM dual pipe resonators so if you compare the sound from a previous generation Ram to the 2019 Ram, the new Ram seams to be somewhat quieter. The same muffler modifications made to the older Rams may sound louder than the 2019 because of the larger resonators unless the resonators were deleted also.

I'm not talking a "Cat-back" exhaust system here, just a muffler replacement. The OEM Ram 3" SS exhaust system is quite substantial and I did not see the need to spend a lot of money to change any more of the system than I did. I couldn't justify the cost to do a cat-back system on my new truck.

Outside the truck the exhaust sound is a louder low rumble, inside with the windows down a nice rumble, and inside with the windows up still a nice not too loud rumble. There does not seem to be any "drone" but you can clearly hear the mds kick in and out but not bad.

I should get better gas mileage except that now I like to listen to the exhaust and tend to get on it more.

The muffler install was fairly simple - cut out the EOM muffler 2" in front of and 2" behind to leave flanges on the muffler if I ever wanted to reinstall it. Installed the new muffler to the front cut pipe and added a 12" SS 3" pipe to the outlet of the new muffler and connected to the cut rear pipe. A new hanger is needed to provide support for the rear of the muffler and new pipe.

Used a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler with offset 3" inlet and opposite offset 3" outlet for the 5" total pipe offset. The Super 40 has an aggressive sound but the 2019 Ram dual pipe resonators mellows the sound down to a nice deep rumble - not too loud but great to hear the Hemi.

I'll try to attach the video file for the exterior sound. Video file is too large.

2019 Ram Limited Hemi

2019 Ram OEM Muffler.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any drone while cruising? Or I guess how is the volume level on the interior with windows up?

OP
OP
DanBen

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't notice any drone will driving. The volume level is low while driving but you can definitely hear the exhaust. You can hear it go in and out of MDS mode and a slightly different tone in MDS. When you get on it, the rumble gets louder and very noticeable like it should.

OP
OP
DanBen

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to post video to youtube and link it here

You need to listen to video/audio with good speakers and bass for clear sound - playback on some computers and phones don't cut it.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have a 2019 with 5.7hemi. to me it has a nice rumble sound. I want to hear my tunes when on a road trip so it is loud enough for me. you mentioned harleys tho and I have two harleys . a wide glide with loud stubby pipes and an ultra which has pipes that only put out a medium rumble because I dont want to hear that noise on 400-500 mile per day road trips. the motor sound from my ram is noticeably louder than the 2017 5.3 sierra I had before.

OP
OP
DanBen

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you keep the stock resonators and just swap out the muffler to a performance muffler it still sound pretty tame but at least gives you the nice deep rumble.

The 2019 stock exhaust is quieter than the previous generations because it has larger dual exhaust resonators. The exhaust sound with only swapping out the muffler will not be as loud as the previous generations - My son has a 2017 Ram hemi and we can tell the difference.

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was able to post video to youtube and link it here

You need to listen to video/audio with good speakers and bass for clear sound - playback on some computers and phones don't cut it.

hey friend im from syracuse:005: