Flowmaster vs straight pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust shop recommends flowmaster 40. I'm afraid it will be too quite. Part of me wants to make loud noises and scare the children. The other part of me has enjoyed not being on constant cop lookout.

I've only heard one forth gen with exhaust and it was a giant grandpa magna flow.

What say you ramforum?

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not have stock duals. I've seen the videos, i think all the videos. It's hard to tell from the internet.

You have any trouble with the fuzz?

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler delete. It's not loud enough that the cops are going to bother you.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler delete. It's not loud enough that the cops are going to bother you.

I gotta do duals, can't have one side louder than the other. Outdoorsman has single pass side exit. I have to do at least a cat back.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just have an exhaust shop build it without a muffler.
I get that. Will I be harassed by the fuzz with no muffler or resonator? I haven't heard one in person, so it's hard to tell.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a 3" in dual 2.5" FM 10 Series on.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run the muffler delete and it's not loud enough for cops to mess with you.
I've heard removing the resonators doesn't make it too much louder.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
My 5.2 non-ram vehicle had the cat converter internals removed then went straight back with no muffler. I liked it at times, but otherwise was obnoxiously loud. I was never pulled over for it though and still passed my non-smog state inspections.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 5.2 non-ram vehicle had the cat converter internals removed then went straight back with no muffler. I liked it at times, but otherwise was obnoxiously loud. I was never pulled over for it though and still passed my non-smog state inspections.

A gutted cat makes a huge difference. Even going from an OEM cat to a magna flow cat on my old truck upped the noise levels considerably.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Exhaust shop recommends flowmaster 40. I'm afraid it will be too quite. Part of me wants to make loud noises and scare the children. The other part of me has enjoyed not being on constant cop lookout.

I've only heard one forth gen with exhaust and it was a giant grandpa magna flow.

What say you ramforum?

I have flowmaster 40 with the resonators removed and I love it. VERY deep and rumbles nice. Get complements all the time and everyone says they always hear me before they see me..lol

[yt]_p_7woV6fYw[/yt]

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Oh and I'm pretty straight pipes will be loud as **** and rasp like crap.. I wouldn't do it.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not have stock duals. I've seen the videos, i think all the videos. It's hard to tell from the internet.

You have any trouble with the fuzz?

No trouble with cops at all but I live in Idaho and don't drive like a *******. Just love hearing the exhaust and mine with the stock resonators doesn't rasp or drone bad. Mds can be annoying at certain low speed rpms but is real quiet on the freeway at 60 or above.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have flowmaster 40 with the resonators removed and I love it. VERY deep and rumbles nice. Get complements all the time and everyone says they always hear me before they see me..lol

[yt]_p_7woV6fYw[/yt]

Eh look who it is! That must be si/so then? Did you have any kind of break in with that?

I'm kind of thinking of buying a y pipe and a si /so muffler rather than a si /do muffler. That way if it's too quite it will be easier to switch up.

Straight sounds nice on these trucks as far as I can tell on YouTube. A touch of crackle at high rpm but since I will be doing cat back I could always bump the pipe size up. The worst crackle I've heard had been a flow master 10 with no resonators.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No trouble with cops at all but I live in Idaho and don't drive like a *******. Just love hearing the exhaust and mine with the stock resonators doesn't rasp or drone bad. Mds can be annoying at certain low speed rpms but is real quiet on the freeway at 60 or above.

That's how I've always been too, i might get a touch jack ass ish during the day, but I realize that not everybody enjoys that at night. It always worked for me on the past but I always was watching for cops. It got old. That was when they all drove crown Vics and could be spotted a mile away in the dark. Now the drive Tahoe's, escapes, chargers, and impalas.

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's how I've always been too, i might get a touch jack ass ish during the day, but I realize that not everybody enjoys that at night. It always worked for me on the past but I always was watching for cops. It got old. That was when they all drove crown Vics and could be spotted a mile away in the dark. Now the drive Tahoe's, escapes, chargers, and impalas.

Are you from Montreal,QC,Canada EH?