Fluctuating Transmission Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fifteenhundred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 230 hp V8
Hello everyone,
I've had shifting problems with my Ram for a while, but I can't seem to get to the source of the problem. One observation that I can't wrap my head around is fluctuating transmission fluid. I will start up the engine, and check the transmission fluid after it's warmed up for a minute, and the fluid level is well above the ok line (Too much). But after driving it for a few minutes, the fluid level has dropped significantly to the low end of the add line. What does this mean, and when is the best time to check transmission fluid? I don't know whether to add or siphon fluid out.

One other thing that I noticed when I checked it, the transmission fluid doesn't smell as pungent as it normally does; it almost has no smell. I was wondering if water is getting into the system somehow. A friend told me it's more likely that transmission fluid would leak into the coolant system than the other way around. Is it possible that water is getting into the transmission?

Thanks for reading. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
First of all, to get a true reading of the trans fluid level in these transmissions, you should always check it after the engine and transmission are fully warmed up. (such as after being driven at least 5 miles) Check the dipstick with the vehicle on level ground, and the transmission in neutral. I don't think you'd be getting water in your transmission. If so, you would be having major problems with it, and the fluid with have a milky look to it, as water and oil do not mix.
Dave