Fluids need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danielrly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Giving up and asking for some advise from anyone on here who may know about fluids.

2013 Ram 1500 4x4 65,000 miles
Canadian truck built in Michigan recently imported to US

I want to change fluids

Front differential
Rear differential
Transfer case ** Not sure if i have BW44-44

Problem i am having is finding a lot of different information on the fluids the truck needs.

I called the dealership and he recommended 75-90 non GL5 for the front and rear and didn't sound confident and he looked it up using my vin.
Called another dealership and he recommended something totally different and they weren't alias part #'s

i have only had the truck about a month.

Just wondering if anyone knows the best fluids for this truck.
Any help is very much appreciated.

Have looked up Valvoline, royal purple, AMS oil but they don't really specify GL5 rating.

***Info from Build sheet found using this site https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

ELEC SHIFT ON DEMAND TRANSFER CASE
215MM FRONT AXLE
3.55 REAR AXLE RATIO
235MM REAR AXLE
CONVENTIONAL DIFFERENTIAL FRT AXLE
FOUR WHEEL DRIVE (4WD)/(4X4)
6-SPD AUTOMATIC 65RFE TRANSMISSION
ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE
HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER
WARREN TRUCK ASSEMBLY PLANT

Owners manual

recommends
Front 75W-85 have read this is way better than 75W-90 but some recommend 75W-90 vs the 85
Rear 75W-140 some people say use 75W-90 but that is for 2500/3500 GL5 or Not
Transfer case ? Not sure if i have BW44-44
1672300085248.png

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Front differential
Rear differential
Transfer case ** Not sure if i have BW44-44
If you have the "Auto 4X4" button then it's the BW44-44, if you just have 4X4 Lock & 4X4 Low then it's the BW44-45
As for the differentials, if you don't tow or haul anything heavy you can use a good 75W-90 in both front and rear. If you do tow heavy then use the 75W-140 in the rear

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Red Line or Amsoil in the diffs, as noted above use 75-90 in the front and 75-140 in the rear with the added limited slip if you use Amsoil, Red Line has it built in so you should be okay without the additive.

If you have the Auto 4x4 I opt for the expensive Mopar fluid, if not, Amsoil or Red Line again.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You have the owners manual, so do that. Mopar spent a ton of money researching what to use in their equipment. Same advice as what the other guys gave; and they are correct about how to tell which transfer case you have.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Leave the RP alone, don't use lucas or mopar either, study hear.

Amsoil is good because they have bags, no need to get a pump. Redline or m1 great as well. @Hemi395 has used a couple different options in his ram without using that b44 unicron ****. Do a search on that, no reason to buy that stuff.

Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys or ever let them use royal purple gear oil I think is a famous song.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
@danielrly , as the gents above have said, use your owner's manual as a guide, and check your 4x4 buttons to see if you have the BW 44-44. You can probably be safe with the alternative oils they recommend as well, but it's your decision on how "safe" you want to be. You can supplement your owner's manual with the Mopar Vehicle Lubricant & Chemical Catalog, which should include the Mopar part numbers, and occasionally the applicable years, for the Mopar versions of the fluids you need.

OP
OP
D

danielrly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did use the owners manual but it doesn't give part #s and if you look up 75w-85 you will find quite a bit from mopar some gl5 some not and most of the diff part #s are not alias #s. So I called dealership and they gave me non GL5 part #s when the manual specifies gl5.

That's why I'm confused.

The
Manual was where I started thinking it's a no Brainer.

Also looking at the diff 75w-85 or 75-90 supposedly the reason for some diff part #s is some are extreme heavy duty and some are not even though same weight rating and synthetic and GL5. I'm not an expert here, so did a bunch of research and gave up due to more confusion and made the post for guidance.

Appreciate the help fellas

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
GREAT thread as I am thinking of getting mine done in the spring on my 2015 90k on the clock !
I have a SLT and looks like I have the BW44- 45 ! No 4x4 Auto only lock !

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No, no, no - 75W-85 was just another lame brain attempt by FCA to shave another billionth of a percentage point of full consumption off for US EPA CAFE requirements. If they don't meet, they have to pay a bunch of fines based on their labeled EPA mileage and how many vehicles of type sold per year.

75W-90 is fine.

I dealt with EPA for 20 years.

OP
OP
D

danielrly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leave the RP alone, don't use lucas or mopar either, study hear.

Amsoil is good because they have bags, no need to get a pump. Redline or m1 great as well. @Hemi395 has used a couple different options in his ram without using that b44 unicron ****. Do a search on that, no reason to buy that stuff.

Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys or ever let them use royal purple gear oil I think is a famous song.

Looks like AMSOIL smoked them all by a long shot.

Thanks @Burla

At least for the Severe Gear 75W-90

Is there any tests like this for engine oil?

1672372715380.png

1672372755644.png

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks like AMSOIL smoked them all by a long shot.

At least for the Severe Gear 75W-90
That it an Amsoil "brochure" on an Amsoil site. I don't trust anything Amsoil puts out about their products. They have a long standing reputation of misleading information and "studies" that use meaningless or skewed metrics. I'm not saying it's a bad product, but I would not believe it is the best either, especially based on their own tests.

EDIT: And make sure the product is actually API certified, if that concerns you, and not just labeled as "meets API specs".

Last edited:

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
So based on this looks like I have the BW 44-44.

Again thanks for the guidance, very much appreciated.

View attachment 510237
Dang that's a nice-looking interior! You're like a king up in there.
Decisions on which lubricants to use have such a large percentage of personal judgement in them that navigating the sea of options can be daunting, but with enough information, you can start to make sense of it all. Glad you found what works best for you and your peace of mind.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks fellas went with AMSOIL for the front and rear.
will go to the dealership and get rear additive and transfer case BW 44-44 68089195AA tomorrow.

View attachment 510284
Got the good stuff right there. Good choice. The baggies are life changing. Oh and the fluid is good also!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
That it an Amsoil "brochure" on an Amsoil site. I don't trust anything Amsoil puts out about their products. They have a long standing reputation of misleading information and "studies" that use meaningless or skewed metrics. I'm not saying it's a bad product, but I would not believe it is the best either, especially based on their own tests.

EDIT: And make sure the product is actually API certified, if that concerns you, and not just labeled as "meets API specs".
I agree. Amsoil claimed their 2 stroke oil was certified TCW-3 compatible with other 2 stroke oil. I checked with the certification agency, bald faced lie. Agency went after them and they removed that claim but three years later they put a modified version back up and it still isn't certified by the agency. You can check the website, still not listed.

This from Amsoil porduct bulletin. No longer says it is certified, but it still strongly indicated it is with the wording used.

Synthetic 2-Stroke Injector Oil​

APPLICATIONS
Use in two-stroke outboard motors and snowmobiles that require
API TC or TC-W3 two-stroke oil,
including those made by BRP*/
Evinrude*/Johnson*/Ski-Doo,* Polaris,* Mercury,* Arctic Cat,*
Yamaha,* Suzuki,* Kawasaki,* Mariner* and Force.*
Use as injection oil or 50:1 pre-mix (2.6 oz. per U.S. gallon
of gas).
For Evinrude factory-lean setting, use AMSOIL HP
Marine® Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil.
COMPATIBILITY
AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Stroke Injector Oil is compatible with most
conventional and synthetic two-stroke oils; however, for best
performance, mixing oils should be minimized.

You guys are free to do as you like but I don't deal with companies that lie or mislead their customers through artful wording. I do not know which claims to trust thus I don't trust any of Amsoil's claims and I won't use their oil because of it. All of their first place results are from Amsoil paid studies, reminds me of the Tobacco companies funding "independant" cancer studies.

Last edited: