Fob Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the Fob on my 2014 ram is dead, it still works to start the truck but to unlock and lock it, its dead in the water, my question what is the best option, I was looking to buy a new one on ebay or amazon and then take it to a locksmith since it is cheaper then having a locksmith come out and doing it there, looking to see what is the best option here....

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So the Fob on my 2014 ram is dead, it still works to start the truck but to unlock and lock it, its dead in the water, my question what is the best option, I was looking to buy a new one on ebay or amazon and then take it to a locksmith since it is cheaper then having a locksmith come out and doing it there, looking to see what is the best option here....
Have you already tried changing the battery?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
First of all, if the FOB remote Starts your vehicle or if the Panic button works, there is nothing wrong with your FOBs battery

In Georgia there is a place called
carandtruckremotes com/
They have Brand New FOBs for less than what most amazon & ebay sites charge & they are warrantied

I would guess that if you took Your current FOB apart, you would see a round battery attached to a green computer board.
That green electrical board has contact points that are likely dirty.
On the inside of the plastic case, just inside of where the buttons are, Lock, Unlock, Panic & Start if you have it, look closely at the Contacts, they may be dirty or become unglued

They are many Youtube videos about trouble shooting FOBs

Last edited:

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Instructions on how to change the FOB battery are contained in the vehicle owner’s manual. The battery is very easy to change. Some FOBS have a very small screw that must be removed before the case is separated, to change the battery.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When it comes to electronic, im dead in the waiter, how hard is it to take the Fob apart?
No worries. The symptom you describe is by design when your battery dies so you can still drive the truck and unlock the doors manually. As stated, battery replacement is fairly easy, but you don't know until you know so here's a video that should get you in the know...

OP
OP
D

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback, a piece of it broke off a while ago, the piece around the panic button but im still able to start the truck so im gonna look at buying a battery

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I just replaced both my fobs on my 2014. They were toast. I went to a locksmith and had them order them. I should of just ordered Amazon wants and brought them to the locksmith. For 2 fobs,cut the keys, and programming was 300 bucks.

OP
OP
D

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought 2 of them on ebay for $20, brought them to a locksmith and had them activated for $50.

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a new three button FOB off of Amazon for $15-$20. When it was in, my wife took it to a locksmith to cut the door key and program the ignition key to the truck. He did both for no charge. I guess I don't want to know how she negotiated that.