Fog light wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Going to be adding fog lights to my tradesmen via the aux switch panel, this leads me to a question I just thought of, will this be safe/not overloading the wiring... I’m going to be using 9005 bulbs in the fog lights, and I have a set of connectors off amazon. I plan on wiring them together (like a “Y”) with 12ga wiring, and running the wire right to the aux input connector at the firewall, will 12ga be enough to handle the amperage for 2 9005 halogens? Or do I need to step up abit to like 10ga? I know in 120v wiring 12ga is good for 20amps, but is that same the same for 12volt? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These CANBUS systems are funny. They may not work the way you want to "Y" Them in. The system might detect too much amperage from the current system and can turn off the headlights.

The wire should be that of what the factory would use, no smaller.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
These CANBUS systems are funny. They may not work the way you want to "Y" Them in. The system might detect too much amperage from the current system and can turn off the headlights.

The wire should be that of what the factory would use, no smaller.

It’s not being wiring into the headlight circuit. But the auxiliary switch panel in the dash, I’m just going to be “y”-ing the right and left fog light together and running a single wide to aux switch “1”

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not being wiring into the headlight circuit. But the auxiliary switch panel in the dash, I’m just going to be “y”-ing the right and left fog light together and running a single wide to aux switch “1”

The aux switch should have relays in the engine compartment and you would wire the fogs to the relay. The aux switches don’t send the 12v directly to whatever is wired to them. I believe the factory wire was 12 or 14 ga so that should be fine. @Mpgrimm2 May be able to help you with what size wire.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The aux switch should have relays in the engine compartment and you would wire the fogs to the relay. The aux switches don’t send the 12v directly to whatever is wired to them. I believe the factory wire was 12 or 14 ga so that should be fine. @Mpgrimm2 May be able to help you with what size wire.

There is a connecter you unplug and stick the pin into the connector you unplug, and that’s the hot side off the relay when the switch is on, I just wasn’t sure about the max amperage per gauge of wire, (aka if 12ga can only handle 10amps of 12volt power. I don’t wanna wire in 10amps of draw and start melting wires)

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a connecter you unplug and stick the pin into the connector you unplug, and that’s the hot side off the relay when the switch is on, I just wasn’t sure about the max amperage per gauge of wire, (aka if 12ga can only handle 10amps of 12volt power. I don’t wanna wire in 10amps of draw and start melting wires)

33181998-8EBB-45B1-B9D6-C8B52FB7090B.jpeg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Going to be adding fog lights to my tradesmen via the aux switch panel, this leads me to a question I just thought of, will this be safe/not overloading the wiring... I’m going to be using 9005 bulbs in the fog lights, and I have a set of connectors off amazon. I plan on wiring them together (like a “Y”) with 12ga wiring, and running the wire right to the aux input connector at the firewall, will 12ga be enough to handle the amperage for 2 9005 halogens? Or do I need to step up abit to like 10ga? I know in 120v wiring 12ga is good for 20amps, but is that same the same for 12volt? Thanks

The factory wiring for factory fogs (9006@55w) is 18ga. You’ll be using about the same length of wire for your fogs as the factory does on the fog light circuits, so 12ga will be just fine.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
The aux connections under the hood already have relays and fuses backing them, you run the power straight to the lights and ground the lights and you’re done. You can swap the fuses and relays under the little box that is next to the gray connectors to fit what you need.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
If I were starting from scratch & you don't already have the lights bought, I would go with LED's. Since you don't have the factory cut outs for the bumper fogs, where are you going to locate them? I keep thinking I am going to put a LED bar between the tow hooks but I just have never gotten around to it. I have had a headache rack for 2 years now & still don't have the LED's in that wired up completely yet. Too many projects not enough time.:disgust:

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, it’s been done for awhile now (since mid June) I bought a fog light bumper for $180, and the hardware needed, and also put an led light bar between the tow hooks... she is like day light at 2am in the country coming home from work d3f49a2edcd77df44941baae4655bfbf.jpg