Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PE7EY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi RamFam, so I always drive using the air conditioner with cabin recirculation ON because I can't stand exhaust fumes entering the cabin, especially when a bus, semi, dump truck, delivery van, etc. is in front of me spewing black diesel exhaust. Recently, I noticed even with recirculation on I still get outside air/exhaust fumes leaking into the cabin... yes, all windows are completely closed.

Where is the HVAC fresh air vent? Is anyone else having this issue? Could the vent door be blocked by debris?

Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

2017 RAM 1500 CrewCab 5.7 Hemi Sport Night Edition

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am relatively sure that some fresh air is always pulled in to keep the cabin from becoming stagnant. The recirculate function is not designed to keep out outside smells, but to make the cabin easier to cool/heat. It is much more useful in the cooling mode as the heat mode has a high temperature differential. My $0.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2011, the fresh/recirc mechanism is behind my glove boxes, directly above the cabin air filter. With the lower glove box removed, I can watch the mechanism function while selecting recirc and fresh on the control panel.