From Jeep Gal to Truck - Towing a TT Across the US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi! I just purchased a new 2019 Ram Rebel 1500. I am new to pickup trucks and pretty new to towing so I'm turning to you all for your experience. :)

I've driven Wranglers for 30 years. Picked up a small Travel Trailer in November of 2019 and have been traveling fulltime around the US with my little girl (fur baby). Towing with the Wrangler was...let's say "interesting" especially since I had never towed, hooked up, or backed a trailer before. I was towing at the Jeep's 3500lb max and decided I wanted a larger safety margin. So I got the Rebel.

I love the power and tow features. I have the Factory Tow Pacakge (Class IV Receiver, Brake Controller, Tow Mode, etc). 3.92 gears, 4x4 Crew Cab, 5.7L Hemi, 8 spd auto trans. This truck pulls my TT like it's not even there! A far cry from the Wrangler. Not disparaging Wranglers at all - I will always be a Jeep Gal at heart. I've done Offroading (5+ rated trails in Moab, Jeep Dirt-N-Drive, etc) and have a basic understanding of lockers, lifts, gear ratios, all the 'good' stuff.

I'm looking to get a locking tonneau bed cover, and add power (12V or 110V) to the bed. Also need to figure out the perfect drawbar length and drop, and a way to be able to lower the tailgate when coupled to the TT.

I appreciate polite comments and constructive criticism. And when I say "guys" that includes any gender. I'm not easily offended.

GoDawgs65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! can't give much towing advise unfortunately. looks nice! Enjoy

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
The Heavy Duty Rams with 5th wheel package have a 12V plug in the bed so an option would be to buy the plug from the dealer and install it. Otherwise I think your truck should be fine. Some trailers I have towed have the jack back far enough to allow the tailgate to clear it when lowered. You might want to look into have the jack moved back further? Without seeing closeup pics of your setup it's hard to say for sure but sounds like minor issues you are looking for here. Good luck

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome!

As for locking covers, I love my Undercover Elite LX. I also tow a trailer, and this one piece cover ensures everything stays dry. When not towing, I often have sporting gear like my road bike in the back. Safe and secure. It’s color matched to my white truck and looks great. The lock is matched to your ignition key so nothing extra to carry.

They have cheaper options as well, and people do like folding covers. But my experience is that folding covers always leak a little water, and more as they get older. Not good for the Seattle area!

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-elite-lx/2019/ram/1500

With a weight distributing hitch like an Equalizer, it sticks out enough such that your tailgate should clear and fully open. It does for me with about an inch to spare. Do you use a WDH?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you @dhay13 .
When I get hitched up tomorrow, I'll post a pic of the tongue jack the tailgate needs to clear.

and @BruceMorgan That bed cover looks perfect! Thanks for the info.

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Re: covers, I bought a TruXedo Sentry for my RAM. I haven't installed it yet as I just picked up my truck yesterday... I don't know if it "locks" per se, but it "latches" and my tailgate locks, so I consider it to be locked when closed. Not sure if that's helpful to you.

Good luck with your travels!

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Consider a fiberglass cap or shell instead of a bed cover. Lots of stuff can be safely carried in the back that you may want at a campground but don't want stolen. Big difference in what can fit under the 24" space of a bed cover and what can fit inside the bed with the shell.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've driven Wranglers for 30 years. Picked up a small Travel Trailer in November of 2019 and have been traveling fulltime around the US with my little girl (fur baby). Towing with the Wrangler was...let's say "interesting" especially since I had never towed, hooked up, or backed a trailer before. I was towing at the Jeep's 3500lb max and decided I wanted a larger safety margin. So I got the Rebel. Since one should NEVER get rid of a Jeep, I assume you still have your JKU.

I'm looking to get a locking tonneau bed cover, and add power (12V or 110V) to the bed. What are you planning to power with the electricity in the bed? 12 volt fridge? Power tools? That will help determine how best to help you. Also need to figure out the perfect drawbar length and drop, Length shouldn't be too much of a concern as long as the tongue jack doesn't hit the tailgate. and a way to be able to lower the tailgate when coupled to the TT. I would look into moving the jack back or perhaps getting one that folds up out of the way. The drop should be enough to level the trailer when fully loaded and ready to roll.
I appreciate polite comments and constructive criticism. And when I say "guys" that includes any gender. I'm not easily offended.
Can you see the sides of the trailer using your mirrors? If not you should get some tow mirrors. They will also help you to see better when backing up. Best of Luck & Keep up informed.

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you @Tumbleweed. Yes, I can see the entire sides of my trailer, especially when the mirrors are in 'Moose Mafia' mode (tipped up). It's only 18' long, including tongue. The Ram mirrors are MUCH better than the miniscule Wrangler mirrors for towing. Everything on the Ram is better for towing.
Plus I'm cheating - I have a rear-facing camera on my trailer. :)

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Consider a fiberglass cap or shell instead of a bed cover. Lots of stuff can be safely carried in the back that you may want at a campground but don't want stolen. Big difference in what can fit under the 24" space of a bed cover and what can fit inside the bed with the shell.

Thank you @Elkman. Everything I own is in either the tailer or the truck so security is important. I'm keeping all of my options open. A topper/shell is on the radar.

RobertusvT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 on the tow mirrors. Crucial when going long distances. For the bed cover, I highly recommend the diamondback series. Extremely tough and secure.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
A few thoughts:
1. Towing with a short-wheelbase vehicle like a Jeep would raise my hair too (if I had any left). But saying you "know nothing" isn't right---you learned plenty towing with a Jeep.
2. If your trailer has the jack in the normal, central position, even if it clears the tailgate when that tailgate is down, do not do any turning like to park the trailer. I have seen many tailgates with a huge dent on the top from doing just that (my son's for one). Any clearance disappears when you turn.
3. You can easily replace the centralized jack with one that bolts onto the side rails and releases and locks in the up position (parallel to the road) where it's totally out the way. Very nice if you go to the rougher places.

Loving your Jeep is very understandable, but they were built with different thoughts in mind (IMHO). Your new truck will make your towing experiences a comparative delight. With a single-axle, 3500# rated trailer, I don't think a weight-distributing hitch is necessary, just more complicated. If you go bigger later, then yes, the better hitch would be wise. Remember too, if you didn't know, some states will require trailer brakes on that little trailer, some won't. Your new truck is ready for all that. Happy trails! :driver:

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you @El Huapo. Very well said. :) I have learned a lot. My trailer does have it's own brakes that so far, work wonderfully with the factory Ram Brake Controller. I towed in the Rockies, and stiff side winds in New Mexico with the Wrangler and lived to tell! Even with the Jeep my little 3500 lb trailer didn't need WDH. If I go heavier, then I will definitely go that way.

Yes, I will have to do something about the trailer tongue jack. I'm new to trailers too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Tumbleweed, I forgot to answer your questions.
I am planning to power a 37 Quart ARB Fridge/Freezer. It can run on 12v or 110V.

The tailgate will hit the tongue jack if I lower it while coupled. A drop might fix this, but I think my 2" drop seems to be working and level. Need to have someone smarter than me (that would be just about everyone...) look at it.

Sadly, I did get rid of my 2019 JLUR. I bawled like a baby at the dealer while trading it in. Had a wonderful JKU too. My heart aches when I see one. I live "on the roam" now and have nowhere to store extra vehicles, nor extra funds to maintain. Someone will be getting a well-loved Wrangler.
IMG_20200225_181514.jpg

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Sounds like you already have tow mirrors if they flip up?

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes I do @dhay13 . I think they came as part of the factory tow options. They flip up 90 degrees, and have a smaller, 'far view' separate section. Goofy looking IMO but super useful. They can also extend further out, but I don't need them sticking that far out.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
@Tumbleweed, I forgot to answer your questions.
I am planning to power a 37 Quart ARB Fridge/Freezer. It can run on 12v or 110V.
For powering the ARB Fridge/Freezer run direct-to-the-battery 10 gauge wires. Properly fused of course. Some might suggest that you get a wire harness that taps into the trailer plugs/receptacle hot wire. Do not do this as the fridge needs higher capacity wires to properly work. Especially when parked and the engine is not running. I have a 54 qt ARB Fridge in my 2011 JK. Even with a dual battery setup, I still needed the heavier wires. Did you get the canvas cover for your fridge? That will help with insulating and protecting the fridge.fridge cover.jpg

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Take a look at Diamondback bed covers. All aluminum, can carry heavy loads on top or bike racks etc. And not something that can be broken into with a knife or screwdriver.

The most important aspect of hitch height is to tow the trailer level. I wouldn’t be adjusting that for other reasons like the tailgate. As was previously posted there are jacks more commonly used on boat trailers and construction and farming that swivel 90 degrees and lock up in the horizontal position. Replace the jack with one of those.

We live on the road about half the year, usually wandering around the least populated parts, so if you see a Power Wagon behind a motorhome, it could be us. Come on over and say hello. We used to do Jeeps as well, and I still have one at home. But except on narrow trails, I prefer a full size truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca