From Jeep Gal to Truck - Towing a TT Across the US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kootbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also traded a Jeep in and bought a Ram Rebel just for towing our 18’ travel trailer. The receiver style hitch on mine can be moved out so the the trailer lift handle just clears when lowering the tailgate. Mirrors are great for towing and the backup camera is perfect for hooking up the ball hitch to the travel trailer.

Hemi adventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is your trailer jack electric, if so look at how it is mounted. I have a Grand Design with an electric jack and I had to turn the head of the jack sideways to be able to lower my tailgate. I am not full timer so I have a tonno cover to hide my stuff. My son/nlaw has a retractable cover that is cool but too rich for my blood,altho it is very secure. Good luck in the future and remember when towing slow and steady is safer.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just posting this to show U, ref tonneau cover. But this is the Mopar expensive *** version...Color matched, painted at factory. Full size fiberglass. About as waterproof as a cover can get. But does take away some of the purpose of the truck bed. But since I have a 14' X 6' stock trailer, no issues. As others have said, all depends on setup. U can get an optional kit to mount/rotate yer jack horizontal, and that would be the trick for sure. I have a Bighorn, have no idea on optional power to the bed. But, wiring in a fridge direct to battery with fuses would be an option or Wire in a 120V Pure Sine inverter with fuses. All depends which way to go. If U go Inverter, Pure Sine only. all IMHO...

IMG_0862.JPG IMG_0836.JPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Assuming the trailer is used, but even if it is new, get the bearings repacked for safety and peace of mind. Also check the date codes on the tires. Much over six years old and they should be replaced without regard to wear. Since you are full time I will second the topper/cap suggestion. It is a great way to store stuff and you can sleep there if the trailer needs any repairs. Another item I like is a TPMS system for the trailer. Good idea to keep an eye on the tire pressure on a single axle trailer.
I have the same tailgate issue you have and it makes life a bit more difficult. I can't use a hitch extension because of my trailer/tongue weight but I believe you can with that size trailer. Something like this may sole your issue. https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=2+Inch+Receiver+Extension
Last, that is a fairly small trailer and I don't believe you need a weight distribution hitch but sway control will help when passing or being passed by trucks and in windy situations. The only tow item I would ever buy from Harbor Freight is their friction sway control devices. They are certainly not the best way available to dampen sway but they work very well even on my 6000# trailer and I believe they would help you in the above circumstances. Enjoy your travels.
Canyon

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weight distribution hitch is always a help no you do not need but makes the tow more comfortable
also keeps your head lights down where they belong

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Take a look at Diamondback bed covers. All aluminum, can carry heavy loads on top or bike racks etc. And not something that can be broken into with a knife or screwdriver.

The most important aspect of hitch height is to tow the trailer level. I wouldn’t be adjusting that for other reasons like the tailgate. As was previously posted there are jacks more commonly used on boat trailers and construction and farming that swivel 90 degrees and lock up in the horizontal position. Replace the jack with one of those.

We live on the road about half the year, usually wandering around the least populated parts, so if you see a Power Wagon behind a motorhome, it could be us. Come on over and say hello. We used to do Jeeps as well, and I still have one at home. But except on narrow trails, I prefer a full size truck.

I'll keep a lookout for you! Just about everyone I've met is nice as can be. I guess you're likely to be happy when you're camping! :)

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you @Tumbleweed. Not sure yet if I will try it myself, but very much appreciate your info.

I do have an insulated cover on my fridge. It lives in my dinette area until I can get the bed secured and powered up.

IMG_20200301_131334.jpg

IMG_20200301_131334.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is your trailer jack electric, if so look at how it is mounted. I have a Grand Design with an electric jack and I had to turn the head of the jack sideways to be able to lower my tailgate. I am not full timer so I have a tonno cover to hide my stuff. My son/nlaw has a retractable cover that is cool but too rich for my blood,altho it is very secure. Good luck in the future and remember when towing slow and steady is safer.

Unfortunately my jack is hand crank, unmovable, no pivot, and the winder is on the front - facing the tailgate. I'm looking into the options for removable or rotating tongue jacks. Just don't have many tools, so my option has to be bolt-on.

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Two more questions for the haulers on here.
Is this how you should set up the Tow Mirrors, and what youshould be seeing in them?
IMG_20200302_114446.jpg IMG_20200302_114450.jpg

And is 222 degrees normal Oil Temp for towing only slight hills in 76 degree weather?

IMG_20200302_114433.jpg

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Rotate the mirrors outward more, especially the passenger side. Until you only see a sliver of trailer. You want to see as much of the adjacent lanes as possible.

Oil temp is normal, any time an engine is loaded up the oil temp will be somewhat higher than the coolant.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is this how you should set up the Tow Mirrors, and what youshould be seeing in them?

Rotate the mirrors outward more, especially the passenger side. Until you only see a sliver of trailer.
^^^^ this with one detail added.
Set the mirrors with you head firmly against the headrest, and you'll want to see what you have in the driver's mirror pic but you'll want the upper mirror lower. I like to be able to just see where the trailer tires hit the road(this is also trailer length dependant, I tow a 28' that's actually 32' overall).
The reason you set the mirrors with your head against the headrest, as you lean forward you see not only the lane next to you but you can lean a forward more to see two lanes over.

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you @crash68. That makes sense. Good to learn the easy from you all instead of the potentially expensive 'hard' way by running into something.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like you would have been a good candidate to get a nice slide in pop up camper after moving up to the Ram. With all your overland experience you could have a nice setup for the trails. Good luck with the towing though. I thought about a TT but just didn't feel comfortable towing.

20190920_174709.jpg

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is that a Cirrus @sam darakjy? I like having options now, that I didn't have before. Truck Camper, 5th wheel....Who knows, I might just go crazy(er)! ;)

rzims

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I just traded in a jeep grand Cherokee for a ram....and also tow a 19' TT
I use a WDH even though it's not necessary....just like the added comfort factor.
I ordered a fold up tonneau but haven't installed it yet.
Definitely keep an eye on fire condition and pressure. Tire failure in a trailer is no fun

OP
OP
Amazonica

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Always best to be safe @rzims. My trailer tires are only rated to 60 mph, so that's my speed when towing it and I keep a close eye on pressure. Someone advised me to touch the trailer b\hubs and tires when I stop to feel if they are 'hot'. Trying to see if my Ram can detect trailer TPMS.

Lil' Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just traded in a jeep grand Cherokee for a ram....and also tow a 19' TT
I use a WDH even though it's not necessary....just like the added comfort factor.
I ordered a fold up tonneau but haven't installed it yet.
Definitely keep an eye on fire condition and pressure. Tire failure in a trailer is no fun

Yep...if you don't have all that is needed to change a trailer flat, especially with a dual axel, I would imagine it not being fun. I had one go on me a few years ago and fortunately I didn't have any issues changing it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca