Front end shake in 4 wheel only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi , I love my 2010 Ram 4x4 I bought last Feb. Never tried 4 wheel until Dec. When I accelerate between 20-50 km a huge shake or wobble , quicker the acceleration, the harder the shake (steering wheel shakes bad) . Took to dealer and they replaced my tires, separated apparently. Well it cured nothing. I took mechanic for a drive.... they replaced axles and brakes. Did nothing! .... so they tell me they can’t figure it out and charged me nothing. I can drive in 2 wheel , hard acceleration, hi speed , no shake. Just in 4 wheel .... if the dealer can’t figure ? Thanks for your time.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
My friends old truck did this too. No one could figure it out. He ended up trading it in. [emoji51] Does the front end make any noise or anything when it's doing this? Does it smoothen out with a bit of brake added?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you driving on hard pavement in 4wd? Anything from diff or drive shaft could be a problem. Anything that only rotates under load in 4wd. Pull the front driveshaft and try driving in 4wd so it engages the transfer case and see if it still does anything. I’d be curious. If it does still have an issue than I’d assume transfer case but hardly likely. Need to check the front driveshaft to make sure it’s straight. The front diff is always spinning even in 2wd as the hubs do not disconnect. Maybe try shaking the front drive shaft to check for play

OP
OP
B

Badad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys , thanks for your replies. This only happens in 4 wheel drive - wet -dry- snow- rain... the harder the acceleration the more violent the steering wheel shakes and front end bounces... at higher speeds it’s a relative vibration. The dealer had a laundry list of things they did before releasing it back to me. I had a brand new Renegade they gave me for 6 weeks... before they gave up.... they pulled all drive shafts , u joints ... etc. So again. In the end - new front brakes, new axles, new tires, pulled all shafts... gave up. Being front diff is always turning and the only time it shakes is in 4 wheel... I don’t know anything about transfer case but this sounds logical I believe. Love your thoughts.....

Thanks all

OP
OP
B

Badad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And sorry , no noise what’s so ever except dash and inside interior as it jumps around in that few seconds of shake.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like classic death wobble, which is normally caused by loose front suspension or steering bushings and unusual to find in IFS. I’m going to theorize when the front end is being pushed whatever is loose is under compression and giving no vibration. That changes to tension when the front end is pulling. Picture a shopping cart when the front wheel gets worn out and you get that side to side fluttering rather than smooth forward revolutions.

I’d get a GoPro and start taking video of the front end components when it’s happening.

Presumably the dealer techs already test ran it on the lift. But it’s quite possible it won’t exhibit with the suspension unloaded.

I’m surprised they couldn’t find it, something that gives violent shaking in the steering shouldn’t be that hard to identify.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Sounds like classic death wobble, which is normally caused by loose front suspension or steering bushings and unusual to find in IFS. I’m going to theorize when the front end is being pushed whatever is loose is under compression and giving no vibration. That changes to tension when the front end is pulling. Picture a shopping cart when the front wheel gets worn out and you get that side to side fluttering rather than smooth forward revolutions.

I’d get a GoPro and start taking video of the front end components when it’s happening.

Presumably the dealer techs already test ran it on the lift. But it’s quite possible it won’t exhibit with the suspension unloaded.

I’m surprised they couldn’t find it, something that gives violent shaking in the steering shouldn’t be that hard to identify.
Shouldn't be hard to identify and should be a priority to techs as it's a drivability issue. [emoji51]

OP
OP
B

Badad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also took their Mechanic for a long drive prior to the new front axles and brakes... 3 weeks later they called me and said it’s not fixed... I have had a new 2008 1500 , another 2010 1500- and a 2008 3500.... never had anything close to this . The whole front end apart and inspected. That’s why why assumption was transfer case.

OP
OP
B

Badad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also , I took it for a test run over the Coquihally highway (3 hour high speed) trip. Back the next morning, drove like a new truck both ways . Just glad it didn’t snow ...

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I know it's a 10 but do you have warranty from the dealer?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2011 does not do this exactly However my truck HATES 4wd part time shakes goin down the road I have 2wd 4 part time high and low to me it sounds like you have a transfer case issue.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Sounds like a classic front driveshaft issue. What’s the condition of the motor and trans mounts?
I was actually going to suggest unhooking the driveshaft and seeing if it's a front diff problem when it's locked or if it's a shaft. I can't see a t case causing that issue and surviving.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they actually ever look at the transfer case ? A long time ago I was on a trail run with a guy who's TC had lost most of its fluid but he didn't notice anything until he put it into 4wd.

OP
OP
B

Badad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Run into guy who had the aparent same front end wobble as mine. He says he replaced the chain and was totally gone. ?!?!

OP
OP
B

Badad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They took out drive shafts , basically everything from the transfer case forward was replaced or inspected. Engine mounts and trans mount tight.. imagine the dealer who took the truck ,had it 6 weeks, gave me a new Jeep to drive, put new tires on it, then pulled front end apart and checked everything, redid new front brakes, replaced axles.... all for a 2010 truck and charged me nothing... . And still wobble

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Go pro it see what's going on. Could be control arm mounts or your caster is on the edge and when you put it in 4x4 it pushes it passed the limit and you get wheel wobble.