Fuel and air filters - 2016 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Long story short, I wasn’t paying attention and came home with duralast fuel filters from AutoZone (front and back). Should I just throw em on, or return them and order some Mopars? Is it truly that big of a deal?

I also need to change my air filter - basically same question, do I need to stick to Mopar, or will whatever AutoZone carries be fine?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have always stuck to Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters, and Fleetguard or Mopar air and fuel filters for both my CTDs. This is especially important for the fuel filters. The Donaldson Blue oil filter is also excellent.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Everyone has an opinion on these things. But those fuel filters are feeding your very expensive injection pump. The OEM filters are a little more money, but this aint your average little gas four banger you have now. Check out dieselfiltersonline.com Great selection , descent prices and they have what you need.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Air Filters - Wix or Fleetguard from Amazon

Fuel Filters

I chose to install this kit 2 weeks ago --> http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/13_present_cummins_fuel_filter_kit.html

I did not use the CAT filter - due to the Aluminum top plate and the filter Base is all aluminum - This will cause galling & the filter will be extremely hard to remove.
I chose not to apply anti-seize to the threads of the base - due to I didn't want to take a chance of that crap getting into the fuel system.

I now run KOFIL up front (polisher filter) - (4 Micron @ 99%) = 3 Layer Synthetic Media

Rear Filters
Secondary filter = Donaldson Blue DBF5814 (Sub 4 Micron (absolute) @ 99%) or Fleetguard FF5814 - (Sub 4 Micron (absolute) @ 99%)
Water Separator = KOFIL (4 Micron @ 99%) = 3 Layer Synthetic Media

Oil Filter = No Brainer Donaldson Blue DBL7349

Last edited:

BubbaJo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2012 Cummins, and i'm thinking about getting one of the kits you posted Syn. My question is, with installing this system, what happens to the fuel filter in the engine bay? Do i still need to put a filter in that like normal? Then my fuel will in theory be double, if not triple, filtered?