Fuel Sensor Failure - 2017 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered a fuel pump for mine i guess they all fail at half tank I could of just gotten the level sender for $150 but its stupid to not do the whole thing since its a annoying job.

Lee Zackaryasz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2017 Ram Rebel with 13,450miles same fuel sending unit fail works at full tank for around 40 miles then goes to empty was wondering if anyone found a better unit to install to replace the oem as it seems to be an issue

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2017 Ram Rebel with 13,450miles same fuel sending unit fail works at full tank for around 40 miles then goes to empty was wondering if anyone found a better unit to install to replace the oem as it seems to be an issue

Didnt find any after market thats what screwed me last time wound up spending $300 on oem yours should be under warranty no?

erickpl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
$70 assembly from Amazon with a more robust (ethanol kills the OEM) sender and increased GPM fuel pump.

~2 hours to drop the tank

View attachment 219388

Do you have the brand or P/N from Amazon for this? I have a 2017 Ram Sport and have this issue. I tried the link you posted later, and it says it 'will not fit your Ram 1500'. Odd.

How hard was it to drop the tank on the truck and do this yourself? I've dropped a tank on my jeep to install a gas tank skid plate so I've done it before, but didn't have to crack open the tank and replace anything in it. Are there writeups to cover this process documented anywhere? NEVER afraid of DIY, but want to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing. :)

Last edited:

erickpl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Had same issue on my 2015. Fuel additives did nothing for me unfortunately. Wouldn't replace with OEM, they haven't fixed the issue and I didn't feel like replacing it again but that's my opinion. Ordered a Delphia from Rock Auto for $200. It showed up yday, I dropped the tank today and replaced the pump. Took me a total of 3 hours in the driveway while taking my time so I didn't break anything, would've went faster with help.

Do you have the P/N for the one you installed? I'm looking on Rockauto and see the FG1439 for $189.00 (I'm looking for 2017 though), and wondered if it was the same unit.

How is it working for you after your installation? Did you have a writeup to follow for this?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
.......suddenly claimed they'd had a cash deposit put on it,the day the trade was supposed to occur (turned out it was a BS story,as a month later they still had it sitting in the showroom),that put my dealer in a real bind......they offered her a fully loaded wide body ScatPack Challenger instead,when i said "no" if they couldn't find us another 1320,i'd just stop payment on the check and we'd come pick her old car up.That's when the story got real funny,as it turned out they'd already sold her old car,so they were in a real bind. Took them a few hours,but they finally found her another 1320,in another small town 3 hours away,but they did alot of whining as the car they found,had $3,000 in more options,so in the end she ended up with a fully loaded 1320 Challenger for the price we'd paid for a stripper model 1320,lol

Too funny, that's what happens when you play stupid games - you win stupid prizes.

Good for you

Stbear007007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sport crew
Engine
Well I finally threw a code for fuel sensor failure. My fuel gauge would intermittently drop to E once I hit 1/2 tank. Never threw a code until this week. Took it into the dealership only to have them take over 24 hrs to diagnose even with a code... $550 + tax, parts and labor included (same ****** OEM fuel sending unit). After looking around online, seems many vehicles get this error and Sea Foam or Techron (black bottle) seems to clear it up in some cases due to sulfur build up from ****** gasoline.

Anyone else have luck with this DIY method? My truck is just over 3 yrs old with 44k miles... kick in teeth to have this component fail so soon.
Mine went in my 2015 under warranty. Easy fix tho

Harj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is a 2017 Ram Sport 4X4, Crew Cab, ignition orange with 59000 kilometers and I now have the same issue of the fuel gauge dropping out to empty, the truck throws a code(check engine light) after I drop down past the 3\4 full mark on the fuel level gauge. Such a disappointment as I've only put quality gas in and have babied this truck, purchased from a friend after he bought it of the lot and had to sell due to a divorce(he babied it as well). Dealer says there is no recall to this regard. Might replace the whole pump assembly or the fuel sensor sending unit.

AirborneFIST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 add to the list of Fuel sensor failures. If I understand correctly, the sensor is part of the fuel pump, so your replacing both. Any updates?

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 with 43k has this issue, right at half tank.

I called a few local shops around my area outside Dallas, but each estimate was upwards of $900-$1000.

I am fairly sure I can drop the tank in my garage with race ramps and my air tools but I simply would rather pay someone to fix.

Anybody familiar with any decent shops in the Dallas area?

@AirborneFIST The sensor is what fails but the sensor cannot be purchased by itself, also since the tank needs to be dropped most will just spend the $300 on the new fuel pump assembly for replacement. This is what I plan to do.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
My first one went out at 53,000 miles. Picked up an OEM replacement from @AllMoparParts.com
For $110 3 years ago. Truck has 113,000 now with the replacement still working properly.

AirborneFIST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fuel tank needs to be dropped to replace the fuel pump? Oh boy. Not sure I would want to even try to tackle this.