Garage door opener range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R1nZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is not Ram-specific, but I suspect someone out there is having similar problems so I thought I'd share my experience.

When I picked up my new Ram and programmed the HomeLink unit I was unable to open my garage door until I was literally about 20 feet away. I prefer to open it much sooner so I don't have to wait for the door before I pull in. My previous vehicles have had no trouble in this regard. I'm not sure if this unit uses lower power, or if the antenna is inefficient, or perhaps I just have a bad unit.

In any case, I adjusted the antenna on the back of the opener itself hoping to get a bit more signal strength. Mine uses stiff wire, and I straightened it for optimum reception. No noticeable difference. Then I realized the antenna in the truck must be horizontal, so I changed the orientation on the opener to horizontal as well. I'm now able to open it from 40-50 feet away, nearly doubling the previous range.

I hope this is useful to someone.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is not Ram-specific, but I suspect someone out there is having similar problems so I thought I'd share my experience.

When I picked up my new Ram and programmed the HomeLink unit I was unable to open my garage door until I was literally about 20 feet away. I prefer to open it much sooner so I don't have to wait for the door before I pull in. My previous vehicles have had no trouble in this regard. I'm not sure if this unit uses lower power, or if the antenna is inefficient, or perhaps I just have a bad unit.

In any case, I adjusted the antenna on the back of the opener itself hoping to get a bit more signal strength. Mine uses stiff wire, and I straightened it for optimum reception. No noticeable difference. Then I realized the antenna in the truck must be horizontal, so I changed the orientation on the opener to horizontal as well. I'm now able to open it from 40-50 feet away, nearly doubling the previous range.

I hope this is useful to someone.

What do you mean you changed the opener to horizontal? Do you just put your visor down?

I don’t have any issues but just curious. I actually just replaced my opener with one of the Ryobi 2HP units as I found it for $100 off around New Years and I knew mine needed replacement soon. Nice opener, simple install. I highly recommend it for the accessories alone.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
He's referring to the door opener antenna attached to the garage door motor casing inside the garage.

Antenna orientation at the receiving end is important. I did a similar thing. I extended mine and configured it into an upside down "T", much like a dipole radio antenna. It increased my range substantially.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hmmm I’ll have to try mine. I park outside so haven’t tried other than right in front of it as we can’t get both my wife’s Cherokee and my new baby in together. I know with hers and my previous car(outback) I can/could open the door from over 100 feet easily.