garage heaters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for those of you who work in your garages in colder climates such as northern Ohio winters, what kind of heaters do you use? i do not have a natural gas line to my house just electric for everything. i want to heat up what i think is an non-insulated finished garage. it doesn't have to be 70+ but warmer than 50 would be nice so i can work on things during the winter.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For a non-insulated finished garage heating the air is a difficult problem as everything inside especially the slab dictates the real temperature. If your ceiling height is over 8' then running these on propane is the best way to go as they warm everything with radiant and really aren't expensive to purchase or run. They're easy install and the btu's are adjustable by changing the diffuser disc. Sucks working when your tools are stone cold.

https://spaceray.com/forcered-nxu-series/

I have 3 of these in 2 different garages and couldn't be happier with them in the NY freezing ass cold winters. And btw none of that stink from the fuel oil smell.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My last garage I used a buddy heater, ok but floor stayed cold.

Current garage I plumbed up " hydronic " hot water lines running to my outdoor stove....floors obviously stay warm.

In garage all winter long, keep it 55*
In it now. Lol20190320_160658.jpg

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My last garage I used a buddy heater, ok but floor stayed cold.

Current garage I plumbed up " hydronic " hot water lines running to my outdoor stove....floors obviously stay warm.

In garage all winter long, keep it 55*
In it now. LolView attachment 159861

It's all about the floor and hydronic radiant is the way to go if your building new or have a good existing slab that you can pour over and add the PEX tubing to. Wood fired boilers if you can run them in your area and have access to the fuel to run them are an excellent way to go.

Radiant from above or below to maintain slab temperature is the best!!!! Once the slab gets cold or freezes it just takes forever to warm a building.

Last edited:
OP
OP
16Hemi

16Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used a small kerosene forced air heater in my garage for years now and it works great for me. Here's a link to the one I have and it's been trouble free for over 10 years.

link: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...3udNc1-BFi6pVonhe9taQlrDbPy-zOnhoCRrEQAvD_BwE

awesome i will look into those

For a non-insulated finished garage heating the air is a difficult problem as everything inside especially the slab dictates the real temperature. If your ceiling height is over 8' then running these on propane is the best way to go as they warm everything with radiant and really aren't expensive to purchase or run. They're easy install and the btu's are adjustable by changing the diffuser disc. Sucks working when your tools are stone cold.

https://spaceray.com/forcered-nxu-series/

I have 3 of these in 2 different garages and couldn't be happier with them in the NY freezing ass cold winters. And btw none of that stink from the fuel oil smell.

my ceiling height is about 12' and there is insulation (a small amount) in the finished ceiling. eventually we plan to build a barn and i would entertain the idea of a wood/ pellet fires stove to heat that space along with insulation the slab to maintain temperatures.

something like this is what i was looking at because it is a fan and heater and says it does 500 sqft. the one i was looking at in store does 1000 sgft and sits on the ground.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/redstone-tabletop-fireplace-heater-black

i feel like this is a good option for now because of the future garage that could be built with one of the heaters above.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Have you looked into insulating walls? Just that would help alot

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Have used portable propane roll around with Mr Heater dual head for years. Can't and won't heat he entire garage but works great for warming up the "area" you are working in. Our Ca garages and shops do not get as cold as a NY garage, but 30* mornings means a cold garage. That said my neighbor uses a kerosene heater the same way and get the same results. Of course must ventilate for safety.

OP
OP
16Hemi

16Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you looked into insulating walls? Just that would help alot
i have not found a good way to insulate with out pulling all the drywall off the walls.

Have used portable propane roll around with Mr Heater dual head for years. Can't and won't heat he entire garage but works great for warming up the "area" you are working in. Our Ca garages and shops do not get as cold as a NY garage, but 30* mornings means a cold garage. That said my neighbor uses a kerosene heater the same way and get the same results. Of course must ventilate for safety.
kerosene might not be that bad, only need the heat in the winter so it may be the way to go.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
What about blown in? Will have some holes to cover up but you will have insulation

Or what I did was pull the particle board off(in your case the drywall) and then place batts and cover with plywood (I took it one step further with car siding and gladiator panels) this way your garage is insulated plus you have wood walls to attach anything you want to and not worry about drywall

Excuse how messy it is but gladiator and car siding turns out like this. On the positive note you can do one wall at a time as budget allows

20190121_143214.jpg

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
What about blown in? Will have some holes to cover up but you will have insulation

Or what I did was pull the particle board off(in your case the drywall) and then place batts and cover with plywood (I took it one step further with car siding and gladiator panels) this way your garage is insulated plus you have wood walls to attach anything you want to and not worry about drywall

Excuse how messy it is but gladiator and car siding turns out like this. On the positive note you can do one wall at a time as budget allows

View attachment 160036

If my garage looked like that, my wife would never see me......Very nice.

svtnos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i use a propane patio heater.. worked perfect for all the projects i had going on this winter.. get er rippin and she will run the garage up to 70*+ with no problem.. but my garage is insulated and so is the door..

Firea100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning to all on the site!
I have a 30’X40’x12’ attached garage up in the Northern lower peninsula of Michigan. I installed hydronic heat tubing in the floor with 3” of foam under that. I used (4) 300ft. runs of 3/4” pex tubing in the floor. It keeps the room as warm as I want it. You want to make sure you use tubing with an oxygenated barrier for heat BUT NOT for potable water. I also used an antifreeze specifically designed for hydronic heating incase I lose power to our cabin.
Larry in East China Mi

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I really wish I had the money for a heated floor when we built the house. I've heard you have to cut your grass next to the garage though if you use it since it keep the immediate area next to the garage warm enough to grow stuff :)

OP
OP
16Hemi

16Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 160036

The particle board after installing batt insulation is not a bad idea. I think I’ll figure up the cost of blown in and I might be able to hide the holes for it in the attic because I have access to the walls from there.

I’m working on a floor to ceiling shelf install made out of lumber and plywood. I might be able to do a wall then the shelves right after which could help drastically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a 45K Mr Heater natural gas forced air heater in my garage and it works great. Quiet, and the output air is fairly low velocity, so it doesn't blow papers off the tables, etc. It only costs me about $100 a season to heat my garage a season - I live in So Michigan. Garage is 26x30 with 10' walls and 11'6 at the peaks and 2 - 9x8 insulated doors. There is 4" of fiberglass batt on the walls and 6" in the ceiling, with everything sheeted over with OSB. Outside is vinyl siding with a vapor barrier. I just leave the heat set at 55* - I don't mess with changing it, since it is cheap enough to heat it to not worry about it. Even when it's 20* outside the heater only runs about 5 mins every hour. IMO the key is being able to keep the heat in, not so much how it's made. The first year I could heat it comfortably with a 35K torpedo propane heater - it was just noisy and annoying getting bottles filled.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you use any unvented propane or kerosene heater get a carbon monoxide detector. A lot of people die thinking "its fine". Unless your house is brick I would go with blown in insulation and radiant or hanging unit heater. They pull the vinyl siding off and cut a hole in the outside wall, blow it in, close up the hole and replace the siding. I have natural gas with a hanging unit heater. I leave it at 45 degrees all winter until I go out there. The ceiling is barn steel with 8in of roll insulation and a 1/2 foam board under the roof metal. The walls are 1/2 inch foam board and the exterior steel. It doesn't raise the bill a lot but I know propane costs more.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
50k BTU Beacon Morris ceiling mount (it’s made in the USA). 20x23 garage,8’ ceilings, R13 in the walls, covered with OSB, ceiling is 1” foil faced foam.

It’s been set to 55* since Noveamber.