Gas Nozzle Gets Stuck in Filler Neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Ill have to check wih the dealer to and see if they'll warranty the superseded part. I doubt they will though since there is technically nothing wrong with the current part. But it looks like it's only $50 it'd be worth that not to damage the paint worse that it already has been.

Just stopped by my local dealer to discuss this. He said there's no TSB but they do have the updated part and if I bring it in they will "assess it" then put the new part in under warranty "if needed". Seemed at first like he was trying to be cagey, but eventually he admitted his truck has the same problem and he's going to have it fixed, and that recently a woman who had the nozzle stuck in her truck actually called the dealer mechanics out to remove it.

So I suspect they're just not ready to do a full recall, but will fix it if you complain and stay firm. He said it was only in CA this was happening, but apparently not. I'll wait until after the holidays, and have it done with the occupant restraint module recall I just got.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has happened to me several times. I mostly get gas at Petro Canada stations. They seem to vary. I also notice some like to 'kick back' gas when near full. I usually listen as it fills and when it changes tone I let off so it trickles in when near full, but some of the pumps still spit out gas down the side of the truck. And like most stations, I guess paper towels was costing them $, so they cut out the paper towel rolls.... sheesh.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
If the nozzle isn't inserted fully in the fill pipe, you are defeating the sensors in the nozzle that turn it off. I generally have an idea on the number of gallons the truck is going to take. I run the nozzle at high volume until it gets to about four or three gallons shy and then I cut the speed and hold it there until it stops. I have no issues with spills.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just stopped by my local dealer to discuss this. He said there's no TSB but they do have the updated part and if I bring it in they will "assess it" then put the new part in under warranty "if needed". Seemed at first like he was trying to be cagey, but eventually he admitted his truck has the same problem and he's going to have it fixed, and that recently a woman who had the nozzle stuck in her truck actually called the dealer mechanics out to remove it.

So I suspect they're just not ready to do a full recall, but will fix it if you complain and stay firm. He said it was only in CA this was happening, but apparently not. I'll wait until after the holidays, and have it done with the occupant restraint module recall I just got.

At least she didn't drive to the dealership with it still stuck in the filler tube with the hose dragging on the ground behind.
Jay

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Interesting, I can see it's at an angle, while looking at mine the inlet pipe is level with the plastic part it protrudes from. Should do it!

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weather was in the 30's today so I decided to replace the filler tube. Jacked up the driver side rear and removed the wheel. My Ram has a wheel well splash shield. It's a hard pliable plastic and after removing all the 8mm screws found that it required a heat gun to get the plastic to flex enough to remove. That was more difficult than removing the old filer tube. Only unfamiliar thing was the quick connect for the evap vent tube. A blue clip on top needs to be pulled up, then a white clip on the bottom needs to be pulled down.
View media item 26648There is a clamp for the rubber hose that has a 7mm screw that gets loosened. Then it's a struggle to get that hose off. There is a ground wire to the frame with a 10mm nut. An evap hose to the evap filter just pulls off. Finally 3 torx screws at the fuel door. A couple pics comparing the two filler tubes.
View media item 26649View media item 26650Install is reverse of removal. The filter has to be zip tied to the new tube. A pic showing the new angle from underneath. It's much closer to the floor of the bed.
View media item 26651Putting the splash shield was just as difficult as removal. Heat gun really helped. The whole procedure took about 2 hours but I work slow and carefully.

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Thanks. Looks like it is not as steep of an angle. I'm definitely looking into doing this.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thanks for posting the pics and procedure! I'm a DIYer BUT since the dealer offered to do it under warranty, I'll let them struggle with it. Have to take it in for a recall item anyway. Great job and I can see the angle is changed.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just had this happen today when filling up. Not only was the nozzle getting stuck it keeps clicking off. Took me forever to fill up. I will be complaining about this when I go in for the next recall. Hopefully they’ll swap it out. I guess if not I’ll do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same issue at Costco in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I picked it up today and it didn't stick on my first attempt. But I only put in 6 gallons because it made the issue of it clicking off 10 times worse. I literally cant get it to put in more than h I lf a gallon without clicking off now. You've got to be kidding me:mad::banghead:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even without the pumps w/o vapor recovery nozzles its a tight fit. Never had a vehicle that was that way before. I usually fill at WaWa or Sheetz and thank God the top of the handles are rubberized or every Ram around would have scarred paint at the top of the fuel hatch...

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I picked it up today and it didn't stick on my first attempt. But I only put in 6 gallons because it made the issue of it clicking off 10 times worse. I literally cant get it to put in more than h I lf a gallon without clicking off now. You've got to be kidding me:mad::banghead:

Thats not good. Do you have the part number from the paperwork? Maybe they didn’t use the newest part #? If I were you I’d take it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Mine got stuck again today. Almost couldn't get it out AGAIN. It's a catch 22. If you try not to push it in too far, it clicks off. If you push it in far enough to seal the vapor recovery, it gets stuck. Between this and the brake lines on the rear wheels being too close to the tire for chains I'm pretty disappointed in Fiat engineers. May have bought a Chevy or Ford, had I known.

BTW, it's also pretty damn embarrassing to be standing in a gas station next to a NEW truck having to yank and twist on the damn gas filler for 15 minutes!

I tweeted at them today that this needs to be a full nationwide recall. No reply yet.

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I'm for sure taking it back. I mean seriously... how hard is it to make a damn fuel inlet? I mean this isn't some new tech that they need to work through.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yeah I'm for sure taking it back. I mean seriously... how hard is it to make a damn fuel inlet? I mean this isn't some new tech that they need to work through.

Did you have the new filler tube put in?

IMO it may not just be the angle, but the tube may be too narrow. The"acorn" on the gas pump nozzle is what gets stuck. Never had this issue with ANY other car or truck.