Gas Nozzle Gets Stuck in Filler Neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a weird looking gas pump filler nozzle, must be some Cali EPA thing, nothing like that here in Texas

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That should be the new one. Are you pushing it in far enough? Mine only clicks off if it's not pushed in enough. It's a balancing act to get it in far enough to seal, but not so far that it gets stuck. But with the new part I would hope you can push it in without it getting stuck.

Well I was going to take it to another station before going back to the dealer... I will keep that in mind because I'm not going to lie... I'm a little gun shy to put it in far. Now I know the angst my wife has sometimes lol

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Well I was going to take it to another station before going back to the dealer... I will keep that in mind because I'm not going to lie... I'm a little gun shy to put it in far. Now I know the angst my wife has sometimes lol

You have no idea how much I restrained myself from making a lewd analogy in that post :D

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I called the same dealer where a service writer previously admitted the filler problem just to see if they could squeeze me in today to have it fixed (they can't). The person I talked to played dumb about the issue ("never heard of them getting stuck"), just like the first guy did before he admitted his own truck had the problem. Looks like FCA is trying to avoid a major recall. Also found another thread that a guy suggested going under and tying the tube to the frame with wire (he used romex) to change the angle, and he claimed it worked. I may try that. He said if it's stuck, and you haven't done that, have someone crawl under and push up on the tube as another person pulls the nozzle out.

Just checked and there is some play, but I don't think I'll try to force it up. I'll make an appointment next week for the new part.

Last edited:

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm back from Christmas and fueled up twice with the new filler tube. What a difference! The nozzle goes in at a much better angle and I'm able to insert it all the way with plenty of clearance at the top of the gas door. I did not have any problem with the auto shut off and easily filled up with 16 gallons each time.
When I was installing the new fuel pipe, I did notice an electrical part where the vent tube connects. The FSM calls it a fuel tank pressure sensor. I wonder if this is possibly the problem causing the auto shut off not allowing a smooth fill up? Another possibility is that the pipe itself was not inserted into the rubber hose far enough. I am pretty sure I inserted the pipe farther than the original pipe was. I wanted to be sure the bend was as close as possible to the floor of the bed.View media item 26651Here are a couple pics I took filling up. The first shows the nozzle going into the new filler tube with lots of clearance. The second pic shows the nozzle all the way down.View media item 26690View media item 26691

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thanks for the report! I've been tweeting at "RamCares" and FCA on Twitter about this, hoping they'll do the right thing and issue a TSB, instead of apparently making the service techs lie about it, or try to hide the issue. That is a substantial change. Here's my stock tube for comparison:

Ram Filler Underneath.jpg

Last edited:

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A recall would have to be safety related. A TSB would be a more likely possibility. I know there was a Star case number (S1814000004) that involved pushing the pipe in further into the rubber hose but that won't change things much. The new part is the fix.
I did have to wait over a week to get the new pipe. Perhaps they are in short supply. 68448220AA is the correct part number. It really was worth it to me to buy the part and install it myself. I know I did it correctly and possibly better than a dealer tech who could care less as long as he gets a paycheck. It's probably been almost 50 years since I took any of my vehicles to a dealer. Got burned in my early 20's and swore to myself never again.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
A recall would have to be safety related. A TSB would be a more likely possibility. I know there was a Star case number (S1814000004) that involved pushing the pipe in further into the rubber hose but that won't change things much. The new part is the fix.
I did have to wait over a week to get the new pipe. Perhaps they are in short supply. 68448220AA is the correct part number. It really was worth it to me to buy the part and install it myself. I know I did it correctly and possibly better than a dealer tech who could care less as long as he gets a paycheck. It's probably been almost 50 years since I took any of my vehicles to a dealer. Got burned in my early 20's and swore to myself never again.

In one of my tweets I mentioned that they should address this before someone gets hurt, and I could easily see that happening as folks get frustrated trying to yank it out. My local dealer had them in stock when the one tech admitted the problem. Like you, I'm not a fan of dealers. In fact I won't even go back to the dealer I bought it from for numerous reasons, including the attitude I got from a service writer, but I like this other one, so far. However, I may end up buying the part and doing it myself...

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I went to get gas again today and at first it clicked off like 10 times in the first 5 or 6 gallons again. So I removed it and then re inserted it with a light shove and then it worked perfect for the remaining 25 gallons. First time that's happened since I bought the truck. :)

I have to go back again in a week or two so if giving it a little shove is the fix I'm ok with that. I was just super hesitant to before. So I will play with it more but I'm hopeful at this point

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So I went to get gas again today and at first it clicked off like 10 times in the first 5 or 6 gallons again. So I removed it and then re inserted it with a light shove and then it worked perfect for the remaining 25 gallons. First time that's happened since I bought the truck. :)

I have to go back again in a week or two so if giving it a little shove is the fix I'm ok with that. I was just super hesitant to before. So I will play with it more but I'm hopeful at this point

That's normal to have to shove it in to get a continuous flow with an evap boot. As long as it comes back out without a fight it's now normal.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny I stumbled into this thread... At certain gas stations, usually ESSO here in Canada it either clicks off constantly, or I have to wiggle it out a bit to free it from the awkward angle its jammed in with. We don't have vapour recovery nozzles here or any rubber boots, just standard metal filler tube. It takes a bit of playing around to stop it from clicking off, or getting stuck, but I just stopped going to Esso. I assumed it was the fault of their equipment not my truck (who knew filler necks were so difficult to design the same from 1909 LOL) ...

Weird!

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Got a response this morning to my tweet last week to @RamCares about making this a TSB. They apologized for the problem and asked for my vin. I messaged it, then got this message back a few minutes later:

"Thank you! I am able to see that this has been reported to the appropriate resources and a fix is currently being worked on to be released as a TSB"

18Ramwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve had the same problem, also in CA. Felt like a ******* the first time I filled up because I couldn’t get the damn nozzle in far enough to pump gas and then couldn’t get it out. I’m a car/truck guy, can’t imagine the problems computer/tech guys are having! Lol

acd118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Same problem here in PA and it becomes even worse if you purchase and install a locking fuel door.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I filled up the other day at a different chevron closer to my house. (The other station is newer and closer to work) It didn’t get stuck or click off every 3 seconds. But I tried something new. I inserted the tip slowly and smoothly at an angle THEN I shoved the rest in. Worked like a charm.

I got my new filler neck in the mail from Benny @ all Mopar Parts. As soon as I find some time I’ll go swap it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, the new part changes the angle. I have only had my Ram since September and it bothers me every time I fill up. It's like no other vehicle I have ever had. I have never gotten a nozzle stuck but I never push the nozzle all the way in only because there is so little clearance.
Benny at AllMoparParts.com looked it up for me. The original part on my truck is 68192065AA. In the few months I have had my Ram, that number superceded to 68400788AA and finally now to 68448220AA.
If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll take pics. It's cold up here in NW Wisconsin, not sure if I'll brave the cold soon.

What year is your truck? I just installed the newest part number. Manufacturing date was 11/18. Not too difficult of a procedure. I tried to do it without removing the wheel and liner. Little tight but it can be done. My old part number is 68192064aa. Interesting that it’s a different part from your original part. Anyways it’s all done and I can’t wait to fill up. I’ll probably fill up after work tomorrow and report back the results. Hopefully this fixes it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk