Gascap, ESIM question... 08 Ram 4.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdventureDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I keep getting the "gascap" code on my 08 Ram 4.7 4wd. Ive inspected all the hoses, and everything looks clean. I had a crack in my fresh air filter just upstream from the charcoal canister. The filter was full of pebbles and dust. I cleaned it with compressed air, and patched the hole. (It's a new to me truck). On the ESIM valve, the white thing attached to the charcoal canister, I took it off, and cleaned the gasket. I Ohmed it out and I get OL no matter which way I tilt the thing. It has a weighted valve in it, that makes a vacuum seal during the evap test. Does anyone know how to better test this thing? I assume that when the weighted thing slides one way or other, it makes a connection. I read somewhere online that there should be 1 Ohm of resistance (unlike the NVLD system that has 130 Ohms). Nonetheless, I am getting OL, meaning there is no connection. Am I far off base with testing this?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I keep getting the "gascap" code on my 08 Ram 4.7 4wd. Ive inspected all the hoses, and everything looks clean. I had a crack in my fresh air filter just upstream from the charcoal canister. The filter was full of pebbles and dust. I cleaned it with compressed air, and patched the hole. (It's a new to me truck). On the ESIM valve, the white thing attached to the charcoal canister, I took it off, and cleaned the gasket. I Ohmed it out and I get OL no matter which way I tilt the thing. It has a weighted valve in it, that makes a vacuum seal during the evap test. Does anyone know how to better test this thing? I assume that when the weighted thing slides one way or other, it makes a connection. I read somewhere online that there should be 1 Ohm of resistance (unlike the NVLD system that has 130 Ohms). Nonetheless, I am getting OL, meaning there is no connection. Am I far off base with testing this?

I’ve read it could be a bad integrity module, also the pressure relief valve when the gas gets warm. The valve is on top of tank iirc.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You may still have a leak somewhere if you are inventive or want to buy or borrow yourself a evap smoker that smoke doesn't lie.

OP
OP
A

AdventureDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I fixed it. The gasket from the esim valve to the charcoal canister was not put in correctly when the dealership I bought the truck from replaced it...due to a gas cap and P0440 code. I guess they did the diagnosis for me. I don’t trust mechanics so I retraced their steps. Success!