Gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryanf2424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Recently ordered a 2022 Ram 1500 RWD with the 3.92 gear ratio because I was planning on running 35s with a 4 inch lift. Got the sticker and it shows 3.21 gear ratio.

I don't tow and live in Houston where it's flat. I just wanted the 3.92 to gain pep back from a lift and larger tires. Should I be fine? Will it even be that noticeable of a difference?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
If I were you I would ask them why it didn't come with the 3.92s that you ordered it with ...

My buddy @the_goodguy07 has 35s with the 3.21s and it runs fine .... the 3.92s would of course make it feel better but going to 4.56s is what I would run if I had 35s and the money to regear it ...

Are you 2wd or 4x4 ?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with 456 gears on my 2011 (lucked out as the front gears were a bolt in swap out). Downside, I have the 545rfe trans. But that has since been rebuilt and pretty much as modified as you can get. Truck runs great with 9” lift and 37s. Engine/trans/suspension/axels all rebuilt.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently ordered a 2022 Ram 1500 RWD with the 3.92 gear ratio because I was planning on running 35s with a 4 inch lift. Got the sticker and it shows 3.21 gear ratio.

I don't tow and live in Houston where it's flat. I just wanted the 3.92 to gain pep back from a lift and larger tires. Should I be fine? Will it even be that noticeable of a difference?

It should say 3.21 under standard equipment, but under optional equipment it should list the 3.92, like this:Untitled54.png

Otherwise, it's rare but it has happened that a window sticker wasn't completely accurate. The build sheet is really the better thing to check, in the optional equipment section.

Edit: How recently did you order that you already have a window sticker available?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Your sticker does not have the VIN # on it. Do you have the VIN? If so enter it at the link below to get a build sheet for exact info on your build.

Equipment Listing

OP
OP
Ryanf2424

Ryanf2424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ordered it on October 23rd. Was initially told 3 months, 4 months max. I've been waiting on a vin and all of a sudden my salesman emails me saying it'll be here at the end of November.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Confirmed 3.21

Looked up my vin
View attachment 477352

Yep that's definitely 3.21 then, it wouldn't be listed in standard equipment at all on the build sheet if it had the 3.92. Did it have the 3.92s on the POC?

I would ask them when they planned on putting the 3:92 gears in it you ordered.

Likewise, the OP specifically ordered it with the 3.92 for a reason and if you want them, it's a no brainer at $95. Of course, not a chance in hell of doing that after the fact for $95 so I'd raise some hell over that.

OP
OP
Ryanf2424

Ryanf2424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I mean if it'll run my 35s fine, it's alright and not worth the headache. I'd rather not reject the truck and wait again. But they built it in just a month...

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I mean if it'll run my 35s fine, it's alright and not worth the headache. I'd rather not reject the truck and wait again. But they built it in just a month...

Yeah that built time is down right shocking, you might want to buy a lotto ticket. Your choice otherwise on what you'd like to accept, but I'd damn sure be looking over every last option on that truck and making sure they didn't miss anything else.

Personally I wouldn't want to risk what would likely be a much longer wait for an order if you had to order again, but I would most certainly try to get them to install the correct gears. Aftermarket gears of course are always an option but if you get them to do it you would save the money and still have a full warranty.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
My truck was supposed to have the 3.92s, the window sticker that was on the truck at the lot had 3.92s listed, when all paperwork was done, the window sticker they gave me has 3.21s on it which is complete BS! .... I didn't notice until weeks later when someone posted the equipment listing website and I noticed it had 3.21s not 3.92s, I then looked at the damn window sticker and sure enough on the window sticker they gave me it had 3.21s as well ....

I honestly would save my money, receive the truck and regear it to 4.56s .... I regeared to 4.88s for the 37s and it was only $850 out the door ....I wouldn't waste my money to go up to 3.92s if they don't give you the truck with 3.92s already ....

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0

Its up to you. Lets assume you want the 3.92 and you haven't taken delivery. When you ordered the truck, did you get a printout of the the order sheet with an order number? If that says 3.92 and the truck has 3.21, FCA or the dealer screwed up. Refuse the truck, tell them to deliver the truck you ordered. What if the order number on the truck is different than the order sheet? Again, I would refuse delivery and tell them that you want what you ordered.

What if if you didn't get an order sheet or it says you ordered the 3.21? You can still refuse delivery and order a second truck, but you risk losing your deposit. If your dealer is reasonable, they will refund your deposit when the first truck sells, which it will in this market.

I went thru a similar screw up with my truck. I sat with the sale manager on the computer last year and set up an order for a 1500 Big Horn, Quad Cab, Ecodiesel, 33 gallon tank, 3.92 axle ratio and other options. We'd been in front of the screen for over an hour reconfiguring the order to get within my budget. When we were done I was late for an appointment and didn't look lime by line at the option list. The bottom line price was right. It wasn't until two days later that I went line by line down the build sheet. We'd screwed up: no 33 gallon tank, something I really need for long distance towing. I called the manager. He tried to reconfigure the order over the phone while I was on the Ram website. That's when we realized that combining the Quad cab with Ecodiesel and 33 gallon tank was impossible because there isn't enough room in the smaller cab truck for both the 5 gallon DEF tank AND 33 gallon fuel tank. The 33 gallon tank automatically drops from such an order, but the order system doesn't give an obvious message that its being dropped. The truck had been assigned a VIN and the parts delivered. He called RAM and tried to cancel the order and could not. He told me that he would submit an order for a second truck with a crew cab so I'd get the larger tank. But I had to wait until the first truck sold to get my deposit back, which he did a few days later. That's how crazy the truck market is right now.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
If gas mileage doesn’t matter 2.92 us the way to go. I have tons of power & torque from the standstill but I’ll not towing. This is my first hemi & I love it!