Gear Ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Unfortunately there was no window sticker when I got my truck for reference so I wanted to find out the easiest way to get the gear ratio.

I am taking the truck in soon for an oil change so would they be able to put my VIN into the system and pull the info given gears were not changed out by someone else already?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd love to know what I've got in mine

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I have read several places there is a metal tag on the rear end, but I didn't see anything that looked like a gear ratio.

Hopefully if all else fails the dodge dealer can pull it when I take it in for an oil change.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Post up your tire size at what your tacking at and we should be able to give you a good idea. Its gonna either be 3.55s or 3.92s

OP
OP
D

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
P275/60R20 as far as RPM I am not sure, but will get that on my drive in tonight at work. Usually I run a steady 60 on the interstate so I will make sure I note the RPM.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Are you the original owner?
If so then enter your information here and you should get your original build sheet.
Contact Dodge

If you are not the original owner and not aware of the history of the vehicle then getting a build sheet is not going to be 100% since its only the specs when left from factory. Same with checking the glove box or the stamp on axle.

Alternative options is like the above post mention about using your rpm/tire size/final gear ratio to get an idea on what your current gear is. Another option is marking the drive shaft then rotate your rear tire and count the amount of rotations of the tire to a complete full rotation of the shaft.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Have not heard about the glove box one.. where is the tag or what should I be looking for?

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Should be a white (mine was) sticker in the glove. May also indicate if you have LSD or not.

I also now recall others finding theirs on a sticker located on the underside of their hood.

OP
OP
D

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Will have to go back out and check in a bit. Been outside most of the morning taking a part the plastic cover for the wiper sprayers. Passenger side wasn't spraying so took it all apart to fix it.

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you do a little burnout and if both tires spin then you have an lsd if only one tire spins then you have an open diff.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
There is also a white tag under the hood usually that will tell ya. You can also go to any dealer and they can plug in the vin and print out your build sheet. But the Easy way to tell and yea it's a redneck way but it works. Jack up the rear. Put it on jack stands. Have a buddy help you out. Put the truck in neutral. and you and your buddy spin both rear tires at the same time. Count how many times the driveshaft turns in relation to one revolution of the wheels. 3 1/2 turns of the driveshaft would probably be a 3.55 almost 4 turns you probably have a 3.92. 4 turns or more you have a 4.10 and so on.

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Not sure if its been mentioned... but you could raise the rear and spin the tire one full turn and count the spins on the driveshaft.... this should put you pretty close to knowing

OP
OP
D

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Not sure how many friends want to come over if I call them up and say
"hey, wana come over to my garage, get on your knees and help me with my rear end" :roflsquared:

OP
OP
D

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
P275/60R20 as far as RPM I am not sure, but will get that on my drive in tonight at work. Usually I run a steady 60 on the interstate so I will make sure I note the RPM.

Tire Size: P275/60R20
Speed: 60 MPH
RPM: 1500-1600

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Uhhhhh.... I know you know this.... but all you need is a jack..... this keeps getting worse and worse :D

onebadbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
also the vin number will tell you