Gentex Homelink mirror in a 2015 RAM.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
I have a lowly specced 2015 Big Horn quad cab that came without HomeLink. I tried 3 different times to get HomeLink without paying for a $80+ overhead console on eBay. My first attempt at HomeLink was pulling a 2009-2012 overhead console and installing it in my 2015. This did not work, as the HomeLink communicates over the CANBUS. In the majority of vehicles, HomeLink is a stand-alone thing that just requires a +12v and ground, which is why I thought it would work. My next attempt was pulling a GNTX-209 mirror out of a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II. The mirror did require a bit of modification to get the RAM's mirror ball to fit into the cup. Most of the modification just consisted of trying to get the ring out, which failed, though I got the mount to expand wide enough for the RAM mirror ball to fit. Though while the auto-dim worked in the GNTX-209 and the HomeLink showed life (the LED flashed when I clicked a button), it refused to pair with my garage door opener, which requires a HomeLink4/Security 2.0+ module. My last attempt, which was the one that worked is pulling a GNTX-1005 out of a 2014 BMW 328i.

As for the BMW GNTX-1005 mirror, getting the mount on was a pain. The mirror cup was too large for the RAM's ball to fit into and the mount to the BMW's windshield was different than the RAM's twist off. What I did to mount the mirror was disassemble the GNTX-209 with the plans of case swapping. There is an issue with that. These mirrors are insanely difficult to get apart, so I only disassembled the GNTX-209 and extracted the mirror cup. I drilled four holes onto the new GNTX-1005 and simply screwed on the mirror cup from the GNTX-209. The BMW mirror is seen on the right with the signature BMW clown nose. The image below was taken after I got the GNTX-209 disassembled and screwed its cup onto the GNTX-1005. On another note, I assume you can take apart the factory mirror to extract the mounting cup, however, I cannot confirm this.
20220807_012630.jpg
After getting the bracket onto my new mirror, the only things left are wiring and programming the HomeLink. Wiring the GNTX-1005 and GNTX-209 were the exact same. Both of these mirrors use red as the +12v and brown as the ground. If you have the factory mirror wiring harness, you can wrap the metal ends of the wires in tape (so they don't short each other), then connect them to your mirror wiring harness. The red goes with the pink/yellow wire and brown goes with the black. If you do not tape the wires, you will short them and blow a fuse (I initially blew fuse F66 trying to connect my GNTX-209). Fuse F66 goes to the sunroof, passenger window switch, and rain sensor, so if you blow it, these features will stop working until you replace the fuse. Also be sure to tape the wires to the connector so they don't get loose and fall out.
1659905157635.png
As for programming it, there are more than plenty of videos on YouTube talking about HomeLink pairing. I just followed a random one and it worked. Overall, I'm in $36 trying to get HomeLink to work. The 2009-2012 overhead console was $25, the Land Rover GNTX-209 was $1 and the BMW GNTX-1005 was $10. The $36 I've paid is about half of what I would've paid going with the factory HomeLink solution off eBay.

20220807_020702.jpg