Getting it on the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello, today we pull the trailer from central Washington to Oregon with the new Ram 1500. Looking forward to getting it on the road and see what we have. I do believe the Hemi with 3.92 gears will be a great combo. I did adjust the hitch height from the F 150 we pulled with. The Ram is about 2 inches taller but with the 4 corner air it seems to sit pretty well. I am sure the mileage will not be fantastic because of the low gears but we should be able to curse around 60. I will know in about 8 hours. Going to stop by the dealer we bought it from and have them look at the hitch and see what they say about the height. Going to be a little and wet and cold tonight but the trailer stays warm and the dogs don't need to out often so we should be fine.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Make sure you read about the RAM air when hooking and unhooking. It can be dangerous if you do not shut it off.

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you Farmer Fran but I see nothing in the manual to say it must be turned off. It states the different adjustments but nothing about dangerous to hitch a trailer.

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I do like the way it self levels after connecting and disconnecting the trailer. It goes into areo mode on the freeway automatically. So far very impressed with the Ram 1500.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello, today we pull the trailer from central Washington to Oregon with the new Ram 1500. Looking forward to getting it on the road and see what we have. I do believe the Hemi with 3.92 gears will be a great combo. I did adjust the hitch height from the F 150 we pulled with. The Ram is about 2 inches taller but with the 4 corner air it seems to sit pretty well. I am sure the mileage will not be fantastic because of the low gears but we should be able to curse around 60. I will know in about 8 hours. Going to stop by the dealer we bought it from and have them look at the hitch and see what they say about the height. Going to be a little and wet and cold tonight but the trailer stays warm and the dogs don't need to out often so we should be fine.

Your mileage won't be any different than 3.21 while towing. The 3.21 cannot tow a trailer in 8th gear, it will sit in 6th gear (for me), and the equivalent ratio for the 3.92 at that speed is 7th. Mileage will be identical since the RPM and power will be identical too.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I like to unhook the trailer hitch at or2 height so I can back up in entry exit and air up into it. ;0)

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What a great trip in the Ram. Best and most comfortable truck we have ever had. It pulled the trailer like a dream.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
What a great trip in the Ram. Best and most comfortable truck we have ever had. It pulled the trailer like a dream.
That's great, glad to hear it went well.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Thank you Farmer Fran but I see nothing in the manual to say it must be turned off. It states the different adjustments but nothing about dangerous to hitch a trailer.

The suspension auto adjusts. I have had it adjust while connecting and disconnecting. Just be careful if you do not turn it off.