Going Into Park Automatically When The Door Opens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
They did this recall on my truck and I absolutely hate it!!! What a bad idea. What does everyone else think about it?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Alfa obd and shut off ur driver door switch. Dome light doesn't come on but the trans won't lock. I myself refused the the recall they didn't much like that.

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
I'm one of the few people who is actually ok with it. I bought the truck used knowing the recall was already done, coming from a normal shifter to this stupid dial shifter, it is a bit strange at first and takes getting used to.

The few times someone else drives my truck id rather know they aren't going to to get out and let it roll away while distracted.

Also if your foot is on the break it doesn't stop it. So for example backing up the truck slowley with the foot on the break, the door can still be open.

I have had it annoy me a few times though

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
The other associated behavior that I haven't figured out that drives me nuts in the car wash is having to put your foot on the brake to get back into drive. I think you can push the tiny little button down by the N indicator to bypass it but I haven't been able to figure it out.

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Frickin horrible mod. Hate it. Stupidest mod ever. I would refuse to accept that on truck too.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The other associated behavior that I haven't figured out that drives me nuts in the car wash is having to put your foot on the brake to get back into drive. I think you can push the tiny little button down by the N indicator to bypass it but I haven't been able to figure it out.

That little button by the "N" is to put the transfer case into Neutral.
The putting your foot on the brake to shift back into drive has been on these transmissions long before the "Auto-Park" update for the trans. You just need to tap it enough to turn the brake lights on and shift away.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
no issue with it.
can't really understand a need to have the door open while moving. i guess if you have **** poor judgment and need to see your wheels, but if that's the case, you really shouldn't be in control of a vehicle

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no issue with it.
can't really understand a need to have the door open while moving. i guess if you have **** poor judgment and need to see your wheels, but if that's the case, you really shouldn't be in control of a vehicle

Different strokes for different folks...I open my door while parking or backing a couple of times a week, so when my local CDJR SA asked about the recall, I told her no, thanks, and it wasn't applied. No fuss, no muss. When the Reb is sold or traded in, I'll let the new owner know about it. Simple as that.

TXCOMT

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I just lean out my open window if I really need to, rather than opening the door. But 99% of the time, mirrors + backup camera should be plenty for most folks. It just takes some getting used to, my two cents.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A choice is all in our best interest. Say the word safety and that's a free pass to take all rights away. It's rather annoying.

I myself got out of my Laramie and forgot to put in park with the rotary shifter and the truck started taken off thank the lord I jumped back in and stopped it or it was going into a storefront full of shoppers so safety is on your side

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I haven't played with it yet, but the scenario I don't like is, say you're in traffic or parked and someone is trying to get in your vehicle. If you're in drive with the door open you won't be able to drive away?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I haven't played with it yet, but the scenario I don't like is, say you're in traffic or parked and someone is trying to get in your vehicle. If you're in drive with the door open you won't be able to drive away?
That's a very valid concern!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If your seat belt is on you can

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990