Gotta ask...MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know I know but my truck is reading 199 mile range to a full tank!!

Does fuel type make a difference? I have been using mid grade. My last tank around town driving in Colorado 9,100’ elevation but mostly flat.

The truck seems to always be revved and holding gears, only time I am below 2k rpm is idling.

I just want to confirm this is normal and you all can call me dumb for asking. I do have 35” duratrac tires that I added right away so larger than stock

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Typically your MPG will get better with time.

If you haven't gotten your speedo calibrated after installing the 35's, then your speed is off, which throws off your MPG, which throws off your fuel tank mileage. Also, having 35's and not calibrating the speedo will throw off your shift points.

Would definitely start with a speedo calibration if you haven't yet.

OP
OP
A

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Typically your MPG will get better with time.

If you haven't gotten your speedo calibrated after installing the 35's, then your speed is off, which throws off your MPG, which throws off your fuel tank mileage. Also, having 35's and not calibrating the speedo will throw off your shift points.

Would definitely start with a speedo calibration if you haven't yet.

Perfect!! Glad I asked.

I tried having the dealer calibrate but it was unsuccessful and at the same time I tried the AEV Procal which wouldn’t work but I assumed it was because the dealer software was corrupt. After a few days at the shop they got the system reset and the unsuccessful calibrate removed so I need to try the procal again

I realized my speedometer is off but didn’t think about mpg or shifting

thanks!!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ditto calibrating your speedo. something is wrong if always over 2000rpm. mid range fuel is what it is designed to run on. calibrate your speedo and divide actual miles driven by gallons taken to get a real mpg.

OP
OP
A

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ditto calibrating your speedo. something is wrong if always over 2000rpm. mid range fuel is what it is designed to run on. calibrate your speedo and divide actual miles driven by gallons taken to get a real mpg.

That is why I finally had to ask the question because the way it is always revving I was fairly certain something wasn’t right. Didn’t dawn on me that the tires not being calibrated would affect gear pattern so I am excited to try Procal again and hopefully it will work this time

Thanks

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I put 285/75R18's on my 2500 (34.8" tall), never recalibrated and I've seen no change in mileage (11.5 mpg always), and haven't noticed any shifting differences.
My speedo however reads 3 mph slower than I'm actually going.
No problems with RPM's staying above 2k. That should not be.
Unless it's due to elevation. I stay between 1k-3k elev.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I put 285/75R18's on my 2500 (34.8" tall), never recalibrated and I've seen no change in mileage (11.5 mpg always), and haven't noticed any shifting differences.
My speedo however reads 3 mph slower than I'm actually going.
No problems with RPM's staying above 2k. That should not be.
Unless it's due to elevation. I stay between 1k-3k elev.

I stay between 4.5K-12K elevation, drive between 6K to 8K elevation daily, and don't have high RPM shifting issues. Running 35's.

Colorado uses winter blend gasoline which helps with subzero cold starting, but it also lowers the MPG. At above 9,000 feet elevation one should expect to drive in extreme cold winter to Arctic conditions (subzero Fahrenheit temperatures), using 4 wheel drive in snow, running heaters on high, approximately 30% less horsepower of which bigger tires without regearing doesn't help, and driving slower than normal highway speeds due to poor road conditions. Gas mileage will be impacted.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2019 Power Wagon. I’m getting 11.4 with 37x12.5r17s on stock suspension with about 300 lbs worth of rock sliders and skid armor. My speedo was dealership recalibrated for true tire size.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
None of us have RPM issues staying above 2k. That's a for real problem.

I drive different than you or him or her. MPG will fluctuate a little. Gas 6.4 motors get 10-12 mpg.

Muffler bearings can't wear out that fast.

Bring it to the dealership for warranty repairs. Keep us posted.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I run 87 fuel and get 11-14ish..should I be running 89? Did not think of that

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I run 87 fuel and get 11-14ish..should I be running 89? Did not think of that

Mid-grade octane fuel differs in various parts of the country. In Colorado I run Mid-grade 87 fuel and get 10 to 14 MPG. There's no 89 here. Regular is 85.

Scndthief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
05259cd1ac23dc9e4e68f78d059e5abc.jpg
I have apparently accidentally found the perfect combination of tire, intake and exhaust that allows my truck to defy all MPG expectations. I have taken pics to prove it because people tell me I am crazy. I verify against the pump with a calculator to ensure that it is legit. I have also run fixed mileage loops to confirm that the dash is correct and it is. I get 15-17 avg, granted I live in the country/flat/hwy but I have never seen less than 14.

2019 37x12.50X17, Recalibrated with alpha OBD, S&B CAI, Solo muffler delete, 87 octane (summer blend) with 17k miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 2021 manual notes 87 for the 6.4. I know years before it was higher. Have been running 87, and average around 11.9 for mixed driving....heavier on the stop and go side of things.

Owners manual for my '17 says 87 minimum, IIRC it says 91 recommended? Maybe it was 89 recommended, I can't recall, but I know it recommends higher than 87.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
05259cd1ac23dc9e4e68f78d059e5abc.jpg
I have apparently accidentally found the perfect combination of tire, intake and exhaust that allows my truck to defy all MPG expectations. I have taken pics to prove it because people tell me I am crazy. I verify against the pump with a calculator to ensure that it is legit. I have also run fixed mileage loops to confirm that the dash is correct and it is. I get 15-17 avg, granted I live in the country/flat/hwy but I have never seen less than 14.

2019 37x12.50X17, Recalibrated with alpha OBD, S&B CAI, Solo muffler delete, 87 octane (summer blend) with 17k miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is achievable if you don't have any stops. Cruising should net 24-26 mpg. I am also assuming without looking at your state. It's warm. Cold weather kills mpg. Also with the new larger tires, you change your gear ratios to pretty much what a 3.73 gear would be and they receive better gas mileage at faster speeds.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

nail_bender1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is achievable if you don't have any stops. Cruising should net 24-26 mpg. I am also assuming without looking at your state. It's warm. Cold weather kills mpg. Also with the new larger tires, you change your gear ratios to pretty much what a 3.73 gear would be and they receive better gas mileage at faster speeds.

WOW are you guys kidding me? I live in SoCal and have never done better than 12mpg.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score

I have ran both. No real benefit to either. I average 13.8 mixed city 80%/ 20% hwy

tpk0999. Nearly doubled your mpg from 13.8 to 24-26 mpg in the Power Wagon!

Last edited: