Greetings and some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greetings everyone here, glad to find this site and looking forward to sharing in a common interest and making new friends.

A quick history before here about my journey, but I will post my questions below in post #2 so people who see this first post too long and can just answer my questions. I was not really in the market fully for a Dodge ram, I am a GM guy. But all my ideas for a new ride had to change with the times, the roads here suck big time and so I want a 4X4. I have my own personal style as do we all, so it had to look good to me too. GM's new twins are a lot of cash, a Ford Raptor is as well, as is Jeep Grand Cherokee, the upcoming Colorado/Canyon looks good, but still something about it.... so somehow I fell for the new Jeep Cherokee, specifically the Trailhawk. so I went this Saturday to test drive one, and drove a Ram for side by side comparison. I was gonna wait and order a '15..... but then something I didn't see happened.. I walked out after closing (9:30) owning a new Dodge Ram. I went with my Dad cause car shopping with him is something I enjoyed as a young pup and so still do today. I walked out and got in the car and looked at him and said "what just happened? I guess I just bought a new Ram" LOL!!
So, not ever following the Ram scene, I googled this forum and just joined. HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so I will post my questions below, thank you all for your time and lets all have fun!!!:favorites37:

OP
OP
B

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, as this has all gone quickly and I pick the truck up this Saturday, so I need some good advise from the best source - current owners and all around great people!!!!!
Thank you for any and all comment straight up people.
1 - I usually scoff at extra warranties, and some of the stuff salespeople say, but they offered me an extra 2 years above bumper-bumper for $2300. The thing is, they are giving free oil changes for life to original purchaser at every 3 months or 5000km (3100miles)... again, for life. they said the hemi takes only "hemi" oil, and also a special filter. Ok so I don't believe that. And I drink from the Royal Purple punch, I put that sh*t in everything I own. They said no synthetics. Anyway, is that seem like a fair deal, factoring in the cost of oil changes (even doing it in the driveway) and all the electronics on these new vehicles??

2 - I am a performance junkie, so naturally an exhaust is going on. I love Corsa, Borla, but they cost a tad. I already have Magnaflow so going that route (#16869) It's all over the net at $820, but I found a site at $720, anyone here know any better price???

3 - Intake. Ok, here is where I am lost. Airraid, K&N, S&B, AFE, Volant, (don't know if Corsa has one, but on their site there is a pic of a Ram with one). So what seems to be the one most owned on here???

4 - Bak tonnue covers, owners here like them?? I need one for stupid winters and like the idea of being able to stand on one if needed. I see their BakFlip line. I like the BakRoll, but I talked to a guy at the dealership that said we live in ice and a Flip is a better choice.

I am sorry for the long novel here people, that is the story of my life, long winded. HAHAHAHAHAHA
Thanks so much people. Cheers!

OP
OP
B

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow! You are not very spontaneous are you?! ;) Lol

Welcome and congrats on your Ram!

Lol, thank you very much, I loom forward to this Saturday to get my mitts on it. I am still a bit in kinda shock. Went in to look at a Cherokee Trailhawk to order one in June, somehow now won't bother with that cause I own a Ram.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to the forum

KCTHUNDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
welcome, first you wanna look up moes performance and bullys performance on here. go back out to the homepage of the site and all vendors will be listed. they are who a lot of us deal with buy stuff for the trucks. I just bought a magnaflow and diablo tuner from moes 2 weeks ago , FAST shipping. anyways also go back out and click on the 4th gen section and choose general discussion , lifted, engine and performance, etc, which ever department you need info from and search! you will find all answers here! matt from moes is great and can give you more insight on intakes and stuff, but search around and youll see all other guys trucks and what works!

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, thank you very much, I loom forward to this Saturday to get my mitts on it. I am still a bit in kinda shock. Went in to look at a Cherokee Trailhawk to order one in June, somehow now won't bother with that cause I own a Ram.

Well, don't keep us in suspense. Let's see some pics! :)

OP
OP
B

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the welcome guys, and thanks for the info, I'll start surfing through here and will look up the vendors and contact them. As you can see, I take my time on things, so wanna order a magna, intake, and BAK tomorrow probably. LOL
Maybe Tuesday even.... :)

OP
OP
B

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another question. The truck is nearly loaded, but when I looked over all the options it was missing the posi rear end... I was surprised a truck with most options would not have that. The sales manager said you don't need it on the newer trucks and i wouldn't find a truck on the lot with it (tons of trucks there too).
Is this odd, or correct info it got?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, as this has all gone quickly and I pick the truck up this Saturday, so I need some good advise from the best source - current owners and all around great people!!!!!
Thank you for any and all comment straight up people.
1 - I usually scoff at extra warranties, and some of the stuff salespeople say, but they offered me an extra 2 years above bumper-bumper for $2300. The thing is, they are giving free oil changes for life to original purchaser at every 3 months or 5000km (3100miles)... again, for life. they said the hemi takes only "hemi" oil, and also a special filter. Ok so I don't believe that. And I drink from the Royal Purple punch, I put that sh*t in everything I own. They said no synthetics. Anyway, is that seem like a fair deal, factoring in the cost of oil changes (even doing it in the driveway) and all the electronics on these new vehicles??

2 - I am a performance junkie, so naturally an exhaust is going on. I love Corsa, Borla, but they cost a tad. I already have Magnaflow so going that route (#16869) It's all over the net at $820, but I found a site at $720, anyone here know any better price???

3 - Intake. Ok, here is where I am lost. Airraid, K&N, S&B, AFE, Volant, (don't know if Corsa has one, but on their site there is a pic of a Ram with one). So what seems to be the one most owned on here???

4 - Bak tonnue covers, owners here like them?? I need one for stupid winters and like the idea of being able to stand on one if needed. I see their BakFlip line. I like the BakRoll, but I talked to a guy at the dealership that said we live in ice and a Flip is a better choice.

I am sorry for the long novel here people, that is the story of my life, long winded. HAHAHAHAHAHA
Thanks so much people. Cheers!

!. After being genuinely screwed out of several warranties, I don't beleive in them and won't pay for them wherever possible. Do what is right for you. There is NO such thing as "Hemi oil". They use 5W20 of whatever you put in.
2> The factory exhaust is stainless steel and adequate diameter already; the stock muffler is held on with clamps. Buy a Magnaflow or Mufflex (Magnaflow with pipe welded on to make it bolt-on) and you're set, unless you wanted larger tips.
3> Most of us go for Vararam for all-out performance, or S&B for closed-box CAI. Both have great fitment unlike what some have experienced with Volant. K&N filters are garbage, and an open box filter will be super loud at WOT, and can ingest warm air from the engine compartment, partly nulling any advantages it may have.
4. Dunno

5. Welcome aboard, eh?!

BigMikeyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 4x4 Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemi oil sounds like snake oil and synthetic is awesome never heard of an engine not being able to put synthetic in it unless it's very old and leaks but there are some additives to stay away from in some types of materials. You picked a good truck but I'm not sure by your story that the salesman couldn't have sold you a Toyota. Who was your salesman and is he happy where he's at because I might want to hire him.

welcome,

S&B is a good brand you do have to remove quite a bit of fragile plastic crap to put it on but it's good and not hard to do... My next intake will be an air grabber. the S&B was quiet. maybe too quiet. and moe's is great.

OP
OP
B

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
!. After being genuinely screwed out of several warranties, I don't beleive in them and won't pay for them wherever possible. Do what is right for you. There is NO such thing as "Hemi oil". They use 5W20 of whatever you put in.
2> The factory exhaust is stainless steel and adequate diameter already; the stock muffler is held on with clamps. Buy a Magnaflow or Mufflex (Magnaflow with pipe welded on to make it bolt-on) and you're set, unless you wanted larger tips.
3> Most of us go for Vararam for all-out performance, or S&B for closed-box CAI. Both have great fitment unlike what some have experienced with Volant. K&N filters are garbage, and an open box filter will be super loud at WOT, and can ingest warm air from the engine compartment, partly nulling any advantages it may have.
4. Dunno

5. Welcome aboard, eh?!

Thank you for the answers, i appreciate it very much. And yes, I also appreciate the welcoming eh. LOL

OP
OP
B

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi oil sounds like snake oil and synthetic is awesome never heard of an engine not being able to put synthetic in it unless it's very old and leaks but there are some additives to stay away from in some types of materials. You picked a good truck but I'm not sure by your story that the salesman couldn't have sold you a Toyota. Who was your salesman and is he happy where he's at because I might want to hire him.

welcome,

S&B is a good brand you do have to remove quite a bit of fragile plastic crap to put it on but it's good and not hard to do... My next intake will be an air grabber. the S&B was quiet. maybe too quiet. and moe's is great.

No, once I drove them back to back, it really was a difference. Both were gonna cost about the same $, and the Ram drove so nice down the road, really relaxing interior and tight. Not that the cherokee is bad, just when you compare the two you really become aware that the Cherokee is based on the Dodge Dart platform. Same $... a lot more bang for the buck.

KCTHUNDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
ya made a great decision! and youll love it ! and youll love it even more once ya start modding it!

OP
OP
B

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ya made a great decision! and youll love it ! and youll love it even more once ya start modding it!

Thanks!
I don't even have it yet and I already talked to Matt at Moe's from advise from you guys and just ordered a Billet catch can. Thanks for the direction guys, and thank you Matt, excellent conversation and great guy!!!!
S&B won't have an intake for '14's till July. I will wait till then, I am patient. LOL!!

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Welcome and congrats. You will love your truck.

Flex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Express Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the club. I'm fairly new also and got a ram in a similar situation, I'm not brand loyal to anything but had not even considered a new ram. My buddy bought a 2012 crew 4x4 and after one ride I was blown away.

I think I had a fever... And the only cure is more hemi.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk