guidance appreciated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 2015 Ram 1500- 5.7. 8 speed. Last 4 months it makes a rumble strip noise (probably best way I can describe it) right at 1500 rpm. Under slight acceleration on flat ground, and especially on hills as long as it maintains 1500 rpm. Using steering column gear selector to turn off mds (advice previously read about 8 speeds) it still makes the noise. Literally almost every gear from takeoff to cruising at 65mph.

Cannot feel it, nor does it seem to have any effect on performance. 3 Chrysler dealers have checked it out, and come up with nothing other than "we think its in the exhaust." No one has offered anything concrete nor even given me a starting point.... But the front end has been replaced, as well as both back hubs chasing this issue.

If I accelerate aggressively the noise isn't present, but shows up if I end up at any cruising speed and 1500 rpm. One dealer suggested I drive it harder. Unacceptable. It is a rather loud cabin noise, especially at cruise speed if I am in 1500 rpm range....quite embarrassing at this point to be honest.

Hangers and exhaust have been gone through several times... driveshafts etc all good....This morning a muffler shop stated heat shields, hangers all good. I'm lost on this! If the Chrysler dealers have no clue....wtf does a guy do?

Thoughts? Questions? Not a mechanic, but Ive searched, read, watched everything I could find the last several months....nothing I have seen gives me much help. Maybe I missed something and someone can steer me to it! First dodge, and 8 months into it I am just about ready to be done with dodge for good.

Any help appreciated, thanks for reading!

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it can be reproduced give it to the dealer and leave it. Tell them to call you when they’ve identified the issue. Not your job to diagnose.

Hopefully you still have warranty coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Powertrain warranty left....Dealer WELL aware of the issue.....Truck has had many "sleepovers" at the dealership with no results. Turned into my problem since no one seems to be able to fix.... Like mentioned, it will be last dodge - very soon. I realize this can happen, but in all 10+ vehicles Ive ever owned, this is the first that no one seems to be able to diagnose.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get it. They can bring in a technician from the manufacturer to take a look, or take it to an alternative dealer.

I would not take the keys back from then until they deal with it. Period. No one’s concerned about your needs when you’re not on their lot.

I am not saying be a p***k, just that there’s a clear line of right or wrong. You can also escalate with FCA so you get the attention you deserve as an owner.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
is it still there if you let off throttle and coast? i have a low rpm vibration that i know is my exhaust. previous owner installed a borla catback. right after the muffler the two pipes come within an eighth inch of each other before going to the opposite sides. they vibrate together at low rpm. but its not consistent. get tach up enough it goes away. ive gotten it to go away by putting something between them to test.

slight imbalance of driveshaft? worn ujoint? i wouldnt give a dealer an open invitation to diagnose (unless they are paying for it via warranty).

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Goes away when I let off throttle. Doesn't make any noise in park at 1500 rpm... Driveshaft confirmed good (dealership)...forgot 1st post U joints good as of this morning via local muffler shop. All stock exhaust - but thanks that gives me one more thing to check out! Trust me if this gets fixed I will comment with the solution....I wouldn't wish this annoyance on anyone!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
If you accelerate hard does it go away? Could you have an unbalance tire? Try to differentiate between sound and vibration (feel) if possible. Crazy dumb idea.....have someone laydown in the bed of your truck and drive. see if they can help pinpoint it?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get it. They can bring in a technician from the manufacturer to take a look, or take it to an alternative dealer.

I would not take the keys back from then until they deal with it. Period. No one’s concerned about your needs when you’re not on their lot.

I am not saying be a p***k, just that there’s a clear line of right or wrong. You can also escalate with FCA so you get the attention you deserve as an owner.

I don't see FCA helping, this is a used vehicle - it is the selling dealers problem IF they want to keep customer good will.

What happens if you put it in neutral (while moving at speed) and keep the rpms at 1500?
What happens if you lightly apply the brakes (while maintaining the rpms at 1500)?

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Paco - riding brake slightly does nothing I tried recently. Will try neutral 1500rpm while moving. Just left muffler shop he tightened 2 clamps...one by Y pipe...thought he had it fixed- but no change. Search continues...validating why I even posted this.

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Neutral while cruising at 45 no noise holding at 1500rpm. Same as in park.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it seems as if there has to be a load on the drivetrain.
I think you can rule out tires/wheels/brakes/etc.

I wonder if it is a bad motor or trans mount?

What happens if you power jack the motor - ie. in Drive, brakes on tightly, rev to 1500 gently?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Neutral while cruising at 45 no noise holding at 1500rpm. Same as in park.

If you have a 2 piece driveshaft check the Steady/Hanger/Center bearing over close .

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Paco and wild. I will do both tomorrow morning.. Paco forgot to mention I just swapped out winter tires last week hoping maybe it played into it.

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tried the power jack twice tonight- didnt seem to make the noise....As disclosed - not a mechanic so bit unsure what this is telling me:) Will try again in the AM a few times.

Ive got some brief videos from cabin with the noise...cant upload though.

Going to have to have someone check center bearing tomorrow if possible.

Thanks for input and patience. This sh/) is driving me crazy. Nothing worse than being in the dark on a fix!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Its got to be driveline noise IMO. But is is STILL not your problem. Take a rental, be polite and TELL them it is staying until it gets fixed. The rental will need retuned in a few days. Then you politely demand another vehicle.

Seriously, leave the truck.

I have learned that all dealers are busy and push off as much warranty work as they can. Diagnosis is cheap and easy. All it is is accounted time and paperwork.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks...I'm going to take the advice of a few of you....drop off...pickup when fixed. Gone for a week starting Sunday so it just may work out. Not that anything else has with this. It's become an obsession!

Really appreciate all of you that have answered. Someday hope to post a resolution....hoping it's not a pic of a different vehicle

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks...I'm going to take the advice of a few of you....drop off...pickup when fixed. Gone for a week starting Sunday so it just may work out. Not that anything else has with this. It's become an obsession!

Really appreciate all of you that have answered. Someday hope to post a resolution....hoping it's not a pic of a different vehicle

Im tellin ya,

They by no means care about fixing your problem. They just say whatever they think will make you take tour truck and make it look like they tried. It is particularly not their fault. FCA only allows so much time for diagnostic work. Its a **** system.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trucks been at dealer since 18th. Not a freaking things been done as of today. Its like a picnic to hell.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a long shot....

What muffler do you have?
What rear end gears do you have?

Is it possible that you are experiencing exhaust drone?