Guts. Glory. RUST?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright so the other day I was looking at my truck and I noticed something that looked odd on my hood. Once I got closer I could tell what it was and quiet honestly I can't believe it. 2 years old and 41k miles... we have rust bubbling on the surface of the hood as well as underneath. There is no rock chip as you can see in the picture. As crazy as it sounds, its almost like it is rusting from the inside out. From what I am hearing RAMs corrosion warranty is 5yr 100k miles which I fall within by a landslide. However, I am hearing that it only covers you if you have rust holes?!? I'm sorry but a 2 year old truck should NOT have rust like this already. I have talked with a couple other people I know who have Chrysler vehicles and they have had similar issues.

picture.php

Looks like when I take my truck into the dealer as I give them a list of things going wrong with this truck, again, for the 20th time since April, I can add the rusty hood to it.

I'm beyond the point of being pissed off.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check, your hood maybe aluminum. Either way, that sucks

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the same issue in the same place on my 2010. I bought the truck used so I don't know when it started. Not sure if it's a common thing or not. I plan to ask about it when I take the truck to have the chips on the hood and fenders fixed up in the spring.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_20160919_102639.jpg
    IMG_20160919_102639.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 251

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Although I have heard that Dodge/Ram covers rust for 7 years?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are there different hoods?
I mean made out of different material, (not std vs sport shape).
I could swear my 2013 has a glass fiber hood.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
That totally sucks! I'd be pissed too. Any dealer that doesn't suck will fix that even if it's not a complete hole. I had a little spec on my tailgate that was fixed no questions asked

Bfazona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned, a lot of these trucks have aluminum hoods. That's the case with my '15 Sport.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it's aluminum then but obviously not all of them - interesting!

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
As mentioned, a lot of these trucks have aluminum hoods. That's the case with my '15 Sport.

Does anybody KNOW about these hoods? Are the entire hood assemblies aluminum? Or are they like the old Feather Dusters; steel skin with aluminum webbing/bracing underneath.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
is there bubbles on the right side of the hood, too? If not, does it have anything to do with the flatness of the surface you park over? What about the surface itself? Is it paved with asphalt or concrete? Do you live in an area with heavily salted roads? Is water somehow trapped in that corner? Maybe an 1/8 inch drain hole drilled in the backside of the hood frame would be advisable, before it's repainted.

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
is there bubbles on the right side of the hood, too? If not, does it have anything to do with the flatness of the surface you park over? What about the surface itself? Is it paved with asphalt or concrete? Do you live in an area with heavily salted roads? Is water somehow trapped in that corner? Maybe an 1/8 inch drain hole drilled in the backside of the hood frame would be advisable, before it's repainted.

So far I have only found this on the left side. I park in a driveway so it is fairly flat which is paved with concrete. I do live in the Rust belt but never expected my hood to be the first to corrode, if it is from the salt and chemicals they use on the roads up here. I don't believe there is water trapped in there and I don't really know how it would be. I can't see a chip or scratch anywhere in the area of this. It is bubbling like this on the top, edge, and underneath of the hood.

I did some searches on google and found that it is not just a couple cases here or there. All of the cases seem to corrode in the same vicinity (passenger headlight) and the dealer will not cover it which I think is a bunch of BS. Also, all the issues, including paint blemishes, are tied to the Warren, MI that produces all of the Quad Cabs & Crew Cabs. The paint on the Regular Cabs from Saltillo, Mexico is of significantly better quality.

Regardless if my hood is aluminum, steel, fiberglass, whatever.... A 2 year old truck should not have any issue like this. We will see what my dealer says tomorrow.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn I'd be pissed!! Guess I better check mine when I get home....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mine is aluminum and dented by hail storms on 4 separate occasions no rust though.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
This really makes my wonder what all of those aluminum fords are going to look like in a few years. Please let us know how you make out at the dealership

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
This really makes my wonder what all of those aluminum fords are going to look like in a few years. ..............

+1

Aluminum is being way over hyped. While it will not rust like steel, aluminum still has it's own corrosion issues that can pop up.

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well here is an update. With the list of problems I have the dealership today, the corrosion was on it. As I was showing the service manager the corrosion, he informed me that the warranty will not cover it because it is not a hole in the body panel. I told him I'm highly upset that a 2 year old truck has this issue and it shouldn't. He agreed and said he was going to take pictures and submit it to Chrysler to see what they say.... I'm not holding my breath. I'm just disgusted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well here is an update. With the list of problems I have the dealership today, the corrosion was on it. As I was showing the service manager the corrosion, he informed me that the warranty will not cover it because it is not a hole in the body panel. I told him I'm highly upset that a 2 year old truck has this issue and it shouldn't. He agreed and said he was going to take pictures and submit it to Chrysler to see what they say.... I'm not holding my breath. I'm just disgusted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was able to get some obvious corrosion/ Sub surface bubbling repainted under warranty. Took some repaints for them to get it right though ...

2013 Ram 1500 - Warranty Paint & Expressway Dodge, Evansville Indiana Issues

From my Up All Night Sleep All Day Gs7 on Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDW123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the same thing in the exact same spot. I thought it was rust too, but when I got to banging on the hood I couldn't see how. I thought the hood was fiberglass, but aluminum makes sense too.