Ham Radio Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CONGRATULATIONS!

Have fun man!!!

And dont be afraid to get on here or THE RADIO and ask questions. We like helping. Iv learned a LOT from a good friend Jeff as well as asking guys on the radio in my local area. I spend 99% of my time on 2 meter doing a lot of simplex and a tiny bit on 70cm.

KE8OMD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate that U&A & everyone for helping out...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Good lord, I’ll take drilling a hole for free

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

RIGHT!!

Its a truck. Drill the hole for an NMO and gain the advantage of the better ground plane ...... your roof.

And if you need to take it out they sell rubber plugs for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me throw this out. First thing I read to do before purchasing an HT is to see what 'protocol' repeaters in my area support. From what I can see, using 'repeater book' application on IOS, it seems like DMR is the dominant force. That being said, would it be safe to conclude that Yaesu would not be a good choice because of their proprietary Fusion digital support? DMR is an open standard and akin to the Computer industry, 'open' is king. I ask as I was looking at purchasing the Yaesu FT-70DR but then found the new Alinco DJ-MD5XTG which supports DMR and seems to have the newer technology & the same frequency/band support as the Yaesu. Any .02 is appreciated...

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Let me throw this out. First thing I read to do before purchasing an HT is to see what 'protocol' repeaters in my area support. From what I can see, using 'repeater book' application on IOS, it seems like DMR is the dominant force. That being said, would it be safe to conclude that Yaesu would not be a good choice because of their proprietary Fusion digital support? DMR is an open standard and akin to the Computer industry, 'open' is king. I ask as I was looking at purchasing the Yaesu FT-70DR but then found the new Alinco DJ-MD5XTG which supports DMR and seems to have the newer technology & the same frequency/band support as the Yaesu. Any .02 is appreciated...

As an amateur...amateur operator (joke? Haha? Anyone) ugh.

My knowledge is super limited. But my conclusion is the same. Now everything around me is still more analogue with growing dmr support. We are about to get one 7 miles from my house. I have not got me one yet but will. Keep your options open but if nearby is one setup and you plan to stick around a while then it will be in your interest to play the local sport. The alinco seems to be a common brand amongst those near me playing dmr and the price isn't too bad on their offerings.

Again. Very new and regardless of common theory, I find my knowledge and understanding solidifying and growing AFTER the test. Hands on is how I have always learned. Don't get me started on web development books and manuals...

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As an amateur...amateur operator (joke? Haha? Anyone) ugh.

My knowledge is super limited. But my conclusion is the same. Now everything around me is still more analogue with growing dmr support. We are about to get one 7 miles from my house. I have not got me one yet but will. Keep your options open but if nearby is one setup and you plan to stick around a while then it will be in your interest to play the local sport. The alinco seems to be a common brand amongst those near me playing dmr and the price isn't too bad on their offerings.

Again. Very new and regardless of common theory, I find my knowledge and understanding solidifying and growing AFTER the test. Hands on is how I have always learned. Don't get me started on web development books and manuals...

LOL, I have been in IT for a little over 30 years and I agree, it has been more hands-on but I think that is true with anything. I don't know the 'corporate culture' of HAM but if this discipline goes like the computer industry, open source (DMR) will be a hard nut to crack as not 'one' company has control over the technology. Of course there are pros and cons to everything but one check on the pro side is that is could draw many younger folks to radio technology while hopefully keeping the foundations of analog alive. I was actually taken back a bit because Yaesu is such a big name but the technology deployed on the repeaters was not their proprietary digital format. As an example, out of the 20 closest repeaters, 2 supported Fusion. I was ready to pull the trigger on the FT-70DR until I did that research. The Alinco doesn't seem to be as big a name, maybe it's regional but the DJ-MD5XTG seems to be a newer model supporting both analog and digital. The product review from the ARRL site seems pretty favorable as well. I'll let you know but for now, I am waiting on the FCC to add me to the DB!!! aaahhhhh!!!!

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm fairly new to ham radio also, got my technician a year ago and have upgraded to general a few months ago. My thoughts are, get the radio you like and get the one with all the features you might want. From my understanding, dmr is not easy and the anytone 878 seems to be the ht to go for if that is the route you're going. I went the Yaesu route for vhf/uhf radios and have the ftm-400 and the ft3dr. They are great and I love them. I don't play on the digital side as much as I thought I would and enjoy the aprs functions more. I have a hotspot that can get my ysf radios into any digital mode fusion rooms, dmr talkgroups, dstar nodes (or whatever they're called). Just get the best radio you can afford and go with the one you like the most! KN6IHC

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
LOL, I have been in IT for a little over 30 years and I agree, it has been more hands-on but I think that is true with anything. I don't know the 'corporate culture' of HAM but if this discipline goes like the computer industry, open source (DMR) will be a hard nut to crack as not 'one' company has control over the technology. Of course there are pros and cons to everything but one check on the pro side is that is could draw many younger folks to radio technology while hopefully keeping the foundations of analog alive. I was actually taken back a bit because Yaesu is such a big name but the technology deployed on the repeaters was not their proprietary digital format. As an example, out of the 20 closest repeaters, 2 supported Fusion. I was ready to pull the trigger on the FT-70DR until I did that research. The Alinco doesn't seem to be as big a name, maybe it's regional but the DJ-MD5XTG seems to be a newer model supporting both analog and digital. The product review from the ARRL site seems pretty favorable as well. I'll let you know but for now, I am waiting on the FCC to add me to the DB!!! aaahhhhh!!!!

A Tom petty song comes to mind.....

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm fairly new to ham radio also, got my technician a year ago and have upgraded to general a few months ago. My thoughts are, get the radio you like and get the one with all the features you might want. From my understanding, dmr is not easy and the anytone 878 seems to be the ht to go for if that is the route you're going. I went the Yaesu route for vhf/uhf radios and have the ftm-400 and the ft3dr. They are great and I love them. I don't play on the digital side as much as I thought I would and enjoy the aprs functions more. I have a hotspot that can get my ysf radios into any digital mode fusion rooms, dmr talkgroups, dstar nodes (or whatever they're called). Just get the best radio you can afford and go with the one you like the most! KN6IHC

Sound advice.

I took the general test for free because of passing tech. Dang. Those questions feel very specific and content related. Given my background I found the tech pool really easy. I have the gen app on my phone. I'll do it eventually but budget blah blah. Those shiny new hf rigs have a large shine price tag. I do wanna check into dmr, my other interests in life I think will mesh well.

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks snoty, sound advice. The 3dr is very tempting too...

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

and just out of curiosity, did you upgrade the antenna at all on the 3dr?

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and just out of curiosity, did you upgrade the antenna at all on the 3dr?
Yes, I've got the Signal Stuff Signal Stick by hamstudy.org. it works great. The rubber duck that came with it isn't too shabby as I still use it on occasion when I don't want to deal with the longer whip out rolling/tying it up.

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This one is the nicest one I have seen but its $370 US.....

View attachment 236938

Frisk, I may have missed it but who is the manufacturer? I have time to look into this now that I passed the technician a couple weeks ago and already had to send back my Yaesu FT3DR to DxEngineering for a possible repair, (volume knob was very loose, you could wobble it back and forth). Where did you run the antenna cable once it was in the Ram, did it come out behind the back seats? I have to look myself but wanted to ask first. Thanks...

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Frisk, I may have missed it but who is the manufacturer? I have time to look into this now that I passed the technician a couple weeks ago and already had to send back my Yaesu FT3DR to DxEngineering for a possible repair, (volume knob was very loose, you could wobble it back and forth). Where did you run the antenna cable once it was in the Ram, did it come out behind the back seats? I have to look myself but wanted to ask first. Thanks...

Jim,

Try this.

https://bulletproofdiesel.com/colle...roducts/ram-truck-2009-antenna-mount-90201152

I mounted the body of my radio under the rear seat and ran the cable up the C pillar to the third brake light area.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Snoty, if you don't mind a question about your FT3DR. I sent mine back to DxEngineering and they did say they compared it to several others and they were the same but for my sanity as it still doesn't seem correct, does the volume knob, the larger knob only turn clockwise and counter clockwise or can you put fingers on either side of the dial and 'wiggle' it up and down? I can move mine up and down and it just doesn't feel right, as If I will have an issue down the road. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Tom

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Snoty, if you don't mind a question about your FT3DR. I sent mine back to DxEngineering and they did say they compared it to several others and they were the same but for my sanity as it still doesn't seem correct, does the volume knob, the larger knob only turn clockwise and counter clockwise or can you put fingers on either side of the dial and 'wiggle' it up and down? I can move mine up and down and it just doesn't feel right, as If I will have an issue down the road. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Tom

When you say wiggle it up and down, do you mean as if I were trying to pull it off? If so, it won't budge, only wants to rotate as you would think. Might want to call Yaesu customer support or if is still in the return window, send it back to DX for a refund. If you have a Ham Radio Outlet near you, they are nice enough where I think they'd look at it for you even if you didn't purchase it from them.

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say wiggle it up and down, do you mean as if I were trying to pull it off? If so, it won't budge, only wants to rotate as you would think. Might want to call Yaesu customer support or if is still in the return window, send it back to DX for a refund. If you have a Ham Radio Outlet near you, they are nice enough where I think they'd look at it for you even if you didn't purchase it from them.

That's exactly it. I sent it back to Dx for them to have a look and they said they matched it to several others and they were all the same, it still isn't sitting right. I reached out to Yaesu via email but may have to give a call now. I have to see if Dx put it back in the mail or I will be playing ping pong with this thing going back and forth. Appreciate the help...Tom

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it’s like my FT-60 then it’s probably because it’s a collar knob.

I would keep it an use it. Doesn’t seem like it’s something to worry about.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Reactions: U&A