Ham Radio Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSGRetired

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the insanity called HAM Radio ! I have gone full circle with the mobile stuff. I had a mobile HF station for a while, I had a FT-857D with matching motorized antenna. Made quite a few overseas contacts while mobile. I no longer even bother with a mobile radio. I use a HT on a RAM mount with a window clip on antenna. 90% of the time I dont even bother with local stuff and use a DMR Hotspot connected to my phone for internet and I always have someone to talk to. Check out my YouTube channel, just search for W1MSG Ham Radio. Its all about using Hot spots.

W1MSG
Craig

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Cool build.

Yeah. From the research I have done that was my impression. When I go HF I'll be keeping that at home. I look forward to having mobile 2m capabilities. I banked all 2m/70cm repeaters within 40 miles from home. Truck is ready when I am!

Thank you. I like the sense of helpful and friendly people. Never really witnessed such a positive and welcoming group.

Dont forget that if there is ever an emergency and normal coms are not working that 2m/70cm will be THE means of communication in your local. I suggest at a minimum a mono band 2 meter in your house and gaining a few simplex contacts in your area. Repeaters are AWSOME but Simplex IMO will be what we fall back on if the power grid goes down.

Iv started placing pins on a map showing my simplex contacts. I want to be able to reach out to LOCALS when the time comes. A guy i talk to often has a quad band in his house. We are both gathering simplex contacts and explaining to people what our goal is. It’s becoming a nice circle in our area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
You guys are really teasing me! I have been off the air for quite some time, but you folks are stirring the juices. First HF rig was a Collins. I loved that radio and in the winter could even supplement the heat in my small apartment when it was completely warmed up and running.;)
I remember when packet was new and the rage on 2 meters. I used a Tandy , I think it was an LT 1400 or something like that. Do you still do packet ?
I did do HF in a truck I had back then. Contacts all around the world were made. ICOM 735 for that. Doubt if I would try HF mobile today but all this talk is making me think I need to dig out the 2M stuff and install in the RAM.
I went to MSGRetired you tube. Uh, man am I outdated! I can't even talk the language. Pi-Star, BM Hotspot, Brandmeister API , HUH???
Welcome to the new guy. People in Amateur radio will be friendly and helpful.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Welcome to the insanity called HAM Radio ! I have gone full circle with the mobile stuff. I had a mobile HF station for a while, I had a FT-857D with matching motorized antenna. Made quite a few overseas contacts while mobile. I no longer even bother with a mobile radio. I use a HT on a RAM mount with a window clip on antenna. 90% of the time I dont even bother with local stuff and use a DMR Hotspot connected to my phone for internet and I always have someone to talk to. Check out my YouTube channel, just search for W1MSG Ham Radio. Its all about using Hot spots.

W1MSG
Craig

I'll be checking that out. I like working with pi's. Dmr is my next avenue. I'm researching radios now

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Farmallboy, ROTF LMBO! 6 years out of college, try 30, bhahahahahahaha, time goes in a blink! Always have been interested in radio, maybe the IT guy in me. Thanks to all. I found the clutch plate. AFMoulton, where did you find the hot line inside the cab?

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Farmallboy, ROTF LMBO! 6 years out of college, try 30, bhahahahahahaha, time goes in a blink! Always have been interested in radio, maybe the IT guy in me. Thanks to all. I found the clutch plate. AFMoulton, where did you find the hot line inside the cab?

That's what they say! Lol I just had my first kid 8 months ago. Time is moving faster now. From one IT guy to another good luck on the install.

My hot was sourced from the battery 8 awg dedicated. I think there is a interior fuse panel above your left knee in the drivers seat

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have a look...congratulations on the baby...grab sleep whenever you can!

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MSGRetired, just subscribed...looking forward to watching and especially learning.

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back to the RAM forum for just a minute, LOL. I have a 2014 1500 Crew without the full center console. Anyone have any convenient places to mount a radio? I have been staring at the inside of my cab for days now and the thought of drilling anything brings a tear...appreciate it...

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I’ve used a bed pocket mount on a couple trucks.

Currently have mine on the headache rack, but need to move down so I can park in my new garage.

54ff326dad19caef02b7caea2a620d4b.png

Breedlovemounts has good quality mounts.

40ff2d79424320b84dcd463d9a9a34fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Back to the RAM forum for just a minute, LOL. I have a 2014 1500 Crew without the full center console. Anyone have any convenient places to mount a radio? I have been staring at the inside of my cab for days now and the thought of drilling anything brings a tear...appreciate it...

Do you have the drawer? And the auto 4WD?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Reactions: U&A

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7

It’s a tough cab for mounting full size equipment.

Does your radio have remote front face?

I use a remote kit and mount the main radio under a seat, and face like this.

8142115eda0b89d18167525a801e2035.jpg
85b78ddbfb441115a804e80261944c58.jpg

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s a tough cab for mounting full size equipment.

Does your radio have remote front face?

I use a remote kit and mount the main radio under a seat, and face like this.

8142115eda0b89d18167525a801e2035.jpg
85b78ddbfb441115a804e80261944c58.jpg

Wow, that's a nice setup...I don't have a radio as yet. I am studying for the Ham Technician license and researching mobile radios, setup, etc. Where did you find this mount? It looks like bolts down in the eyeglass holder?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You guys are really teasing me! I have been off the air for quite some time, but you folks are stirring the juices. First HF rig was a Collins. I loved that radio and in the winter could even supplement the heat in my small apartment when it was completely warmed up and running.;)
I remember when packet was new and the rage on 2 meters. I used a Tandy , I think it was an LT 1400 or something like that. Do you still do packet ?
I did do HF in a truck I had back then. Contacts all around the world were made. ICOM 735 for that. Doubt if I would try HF mobile today but all this talk is making me think I need to dig out the 2M stuff and install in the RAM.
I went to MSGRetired you tube. Uh, man am I outdated! I can't even talk the language. Pi-Star, BM Hotspot, Brandmeister API , HUH???
Welcome to the new guy. People in Amateur radio will be friendly and helpful.

All the digital is “cool”

Analog is were its at though. I have zero interest in anything but analog.

I can see digital being fun though. Sending images and stuff

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a Anytone Dual Band HT. Cheap DMR with 2m and 70cm. Does analog and DMR.

As iv learned. Make sure if you want true analog from a Digital radio that it is not digitized analog.

IF you want true analog.

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at the Ram mount solutions. I really like their stuff.

You could always remove the drawer and do this. 69e33d64102d464a6ca56578b754ce72.jpg68d2afd88b974edd3c3f3247f27efaa0.jpg28b040f1d1d3b57e3d73abe3ff50f500.jpg

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

That's what I was thinking as well in removing the drawer. Looks like two good possibilities. The drawer space or the eyeglass holder on top of the dashboard.