Hate that tranny knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Getting used to the knob wasn't so bad. What sucks is not having paddles or a stick to force a down-shift.....only those two stupid buttons on the steering column. I'd give my right ******** for a manual stick/lever that I could put in that empty console pit that I don't use. With my right arm on the center console (cover), my hand rests exactly where a stick shift could be, for down shifting (bends, hills, off ramps, etc...) and returning to auto....like how I use the Auto-stick and paddles in my Challenger. There should be an aftermarket product for this. A simple two position toggle switch (large as a shift lever) that does the exact same functions as the two little buttons on the steering wheel).

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Every now and then I can not get my RAM to move forward or backward when I turn the fan switch knob higher or lower :O Do I have a issue or is my issue just mental health ? lol
Bummer is I did it twice this week :eek: But I have gotten used to it over the past year,if I had a choice I would still get a column shiftier .It would not stop me from buying another RAM with one

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn, I got one of these 1500s with the 8 speed when my truck was getting a recall completed. I never ONCE got it mixed up.

Not to be mean.. but..

I mean really.. How are you not aware/paying attention?

:SMH: haha

I didn't mix it up at first... Because I was consciously making the move to change the shifter. After a while, I started mixing it up. Especially when you are making a u-turn on a road with traffic coming (In NY, most of the intersections aren't wide enough to make a u-turn without backing up).

My biggest issue is when quickly trying to make a K turn, going from D to R, there should be some type of stop between R and P. I don't know how many times I skipped R and went to P...

Love the look and feel, wish there was a better implementation.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hate the knob, seems a little feminine for my tastes.

But, I don't have to worry about it. My 2013 Sport has a Hurst console shifter.

Michael Deery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
I am new to the dial shifter too. Previously had many standard shifts. I do occasionally confuse the shift for the radio volume, etc. The transmission works smoothly (at first I did have a little trouble not waiting for the electrical shift to engage). I am sure I will get used to it, and I really love the truck. I am super impressed with the quality of jeep / ram products. I stepped away from American products after having a terrible experience with a 1995 Jeep Wrangler. Then I purchased a 2013 Jeep Wrangler and loved it (great reliability and build quality). Was so impressed that I just bought the RAM. It is only 2 weeks old, but the feel, ride, etc. is really nice.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I didn't mix it up at first... Because I was consciously making the move to change the shifter. After a while, I started mixing it up. Especially when you are making a u-turn on a road with traffic coming (In NY, most of the intersections aren't wide enough to make a u-turn without backing up).

My biggest issue is when quickly trying to make a K turn, going from D to R, there should be some type of stop between R and P. I don't know how many times I skipped R and went to P...

Love the look and feel, wish there was a better implementation.
I just posted this to the "what do you like about the Shift Knob" thread.

I like how it easily clicks to Park when searching for REV, said no one ever.

I'd prefer buttons to the knob.

857713494c991830d18e8e261fb8cd20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought my brand new 1500
4 WD and I'm kicking myself buying it for one dumb reason: I can't stand that knob on the console for the transmission. I've already more than once got the stereo knob and tranny knob confused while driving.
I really wanted a Ram and I thought I could get used to not having a lever on the steering column like every other truck on the planet has.
Now I'm stuck with a $40,000 truck that I'm unhappy with.
Why did Dodge design it this way???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought id hate it. Now I love it. Plus it means you have the best transmission option out there. And more storage up front.

OP
OP
K

kirwinjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought id hate it. Now I love it. Plus it means you have the best transmission option out there. And more storage up front.

I still hate it. Can't explain it but I hate it.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
You can swap it for a Center console shifter if you know what youre doing.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I still hate it. Can't explain it but I hate it.

I figured out what it is. As humans, we easily detect the position of sonething we are holding by the position of our hand. The knob has no discernable registration of position, so we either have to look down at the knob, or at the dash indicator. This makes us take our eys off things like traffic, dogs and kids as we preparing to back the trailer into the driveway.

I am going to 3d print a new knob with a tail, or handle that lays across the palm as you grab the knob. I'll let you know how it goes.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Before i bought my 1500 i rented one during a short shopping trip in Miami and this car had the knob.
I really hated it as i am used to have either manual transmission or steering wheel shifter and i got confuesd with the knob.
I am also used to downshift with automatic transmission and for that i find the knob is very anyoing, but it don't make a big difference for people switching P - D - R, but still very uncomfortable to manouever in a narrow space and switch D-R-D-R
My truck has the center console mounted shift lever and i use it as hand rest and that is the place where a shift lever belongs...
However, thats my opinion, probably because i was grown with manual transmissions and center console mountes automatic shift levers.
Probably i am just a old fashioned guy dreaming of having a 68 Mustang convertible ...
Chris

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Before i bought my 1500 i rented one during a short shopping trip in Miami and this car had the knob.
I really hated it as i am used to have either manual transmission or steering wheel shifter and i got confuesd with the knob.
I am also used to downshift with automatic transmission and for that i find the knob is very anyoing, but it don't make a big difference for people switching P - D - R, but still very uncomfortable to manouever in a narrow space and switch D-R-D-R
My truck has the center console mounted shift lever and i use it as hand rest and that is the place where a shift lever belongs...
However, thats my opinion, probably because i was grown with manual transmissions and center console mountes automatic shift levers.
Probably i am just a old fashioned guy dreaming of having a 68 Mustang convertible ...
Chris
There you go. I had a 67 ragtop back in 75' wish I had it now.

My prototype knob I just printed last night. Need to reduce the profile.

Looks like a cartoon.

aa07bcb55ca58bc2a6612b0858f2f3ef.jpg

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Looks like a cartoon.

That's a mighty big *** that your tranny's got there!

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

Looks like a cartoon.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
That is pretty cool what you can do with a 3D printer! How long did the printer take ? Thanks

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
That is pretty cool what you can do with a 3D printer! How long did the printer take ? Thanks
That took just over an hour and half I am printing a shorter profile one now, about 55
minutes.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
That took just over an hour and half I am printing a shorter profile one now, about 55
minutes.

Latest version. d4f2b33e59998829326872d11b6cc4e3.jpg

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I've never liked the dial shifter, but if you get used to using the steering wheel for volume, you won't ever reach up to shift the transmission to turn up the volume. Just sayin'....