Hate that tranny knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims17HemiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You get used to it, my f150 had the floor shift which I preferred. I was reaching for the lever a good week then I finally got used to the placement. The Hemi over the ecoboost makes any knob issues seem trivial.:happy107:

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
It's interesting that people are saying that they hate the truck because they the operator can't be bothered to pay attention to what they are grabbing while operating the truck.

The knob is a fantastic change from the stick that took up a lot of space in the center console. It gives you quite a bit more space to put stuff to not pay attention to while you drive.....

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shift levers stopped being directly connected to the transmission decades ago. It was a natural progression to start having knobs (Chrysler, Land Rover) and buttons again (Lincoln ). It is not that big of a deal. Heavy equipment vehicles have been like this for a while now.

PEPSIGIXXER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 ram and have been driving it for 2 years and I still occasionally accidentally reach for it as I'm trying to turn up the heat or the volume but yes you will become accustomed to it eventually.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought I'd hate it. Thought it was stupid. Then I realized that the shifting lever hasn't been directly connected to a transmission in over a decade and it's just for looks now, so why the big deal? So I bought one, and now I LOVE it.

Patrick_O

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
First post here. I have read that the 2019 will likely have a console mounted shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kstt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old habits die hard - I get that. I'd like to think we can all adapt quickly, though.

Anybody hunt? I can go from an auto-loader to a pump gun, and not really miss a beat. Single trigger to a double-trigger, etc. I don't really think it through, it just being aware of what I'm trying to accomplish.

And I think of all the times I jumped from a 5-speed stick into an automatic trans, I'm not stomping my left foot on the floor. looking for a clutch.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
took me awhile to go from a floor shifter in my 11 sport to the dial. used to it now after about 6 months.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not a fan of the knob. My sisters ram has it, I've got the console slick shifter.

Maybe it's the "feel" of the rotation of it. Cheap feeling? But I think the biggest reason is the shift buttons on the wheel...dislike those.

I 100% prefer the console shifter.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know your right, I don't like change. I also think that for as long as these manufactures have been building Vehicles, they would get better at it. It's a shame that $40,000 vehicles still have so many problems.

Blame electronics for that.

People simply NEED wifi and phone connectivity at all times or they'll die!! Did you ever think back then that itd be possible a stereo issue would put a vehicle into limp mode?

The more I think about it my next toys are cars/trucks of old. I'm far more mechanical than electrical.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Why I bought a simple Express, less stupid electronics to fail and I do not need all that crap either..lol

Cruise,tilt, power windows ,simple radio and the.5.7 Hemi, 8sp.

I have alittle over 3000 miles now and I would much rather have a console with the shifter, I like that look much better, I have gotten used to the dail but just dont care for it. I am kinda old and like the older stlye even if it's not hooked up any different it simple looks cooler to me.

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But, if you didn't have the dial, you can't have a middle seat in a 1500.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didnt like the dial at first, but now I love it. It simply improves the interior functionality. I do however think this feature could be improved upon like others have stated:
It needs to have a different color.
It needs to be illuminated.
It needs to have an octogon shape to it.
I think these options would help us to stop turning the wrong damn knobs!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Damn, I got one of these 1500s with the 8 speed when my truck was getting a recall completed. I never ONCE got it mixed up.

Not to be mean.. but..

I mean really.. How are you not aware/paying attention?

:SMH: haha

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I was surprised how quick i got used to it. Now when I'm in rental cars or my wife's car i reach for the knob. Getting used to the joystick shifter in my wife's grand Cherokee took longer and i still miss D every now and then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rskew