have some serious concerns after checking catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just checked my catch can today and it is doing its job but have some serious concerns. First off I installed it approximately 8k miles ago. I recently had my oil changed maybe 2k miles ago. The truck now has 76k on it. This is what I found.

20150314_125622_zpsjkiexfkk.jpg

20150314_125914_zpss0uiezux.jpg

Is that much oil normal, almost 3/4 full. Second what is that sludge in the bottom of it, almost looks like curdeled milk which to me means a head gasket leak and I know I haven't over heated the engine. Had anyone else seen this in their catch can? I checked my dipstick and it looks clean. Or could it just be from condensation build up and as the engine warms up the condensation build up evaporates?

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Condensation. And yes, that amount is normal. I usually need to empty mine once between oil changes (does not get full each time, but would probably be over if I let it go the entire oil change).

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Like doz said, that is completely normal. Its amazing how well these things work. In winter months, you will find that you get a mix of oil and water in there from the condensation created by hot oil sitting in a cold can. You will see less sludge or caramel colored oil in the warmer summer months.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You waited 8k miles to look at your catch can?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
My question is, when was the last the catch can was emptied? if it was installed 8K ago and not checked since then you're doing pretty good. Mine is 1/3 full in 1K miles.

yount79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yup mine gets half full every 1500 miles

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed mine just the other day, didn't want to empty it at all this cold winter, waited till it was warmer. It was 3/4+ full. I had all caramel, thick sludge, some very thick clumps. I am very happy at what is being collected, doesn't make it to the intake. :)

Last edited:

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't be concerned, it's really not ALL straight oil.
Be happy with yourself you were smart enough to prevent all that garbage making it to your intake!

toppyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whoever came up with catch cans is a genius!

Tat2hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whoever came up with catch cans is a genius!

I totally agree!! I believe its the most important mod anyone could do! Even if I was to leave my truck stock it would still get a catch can, empty mine today when I did my oil change was running Amsoil it was the less Than half full and looked clean , running new pp oil see how it does

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run royal purple stock viscosity and yes it has been a long time. It had to have been around November sometime. Did a 4k round trip in December and did my oil change in the beginning of February. And since then I drive about 100 miles round trip every day for work 6 days a week. So ya I'd say 7-8k since install. Relieved to know that is normal. Actually insane what gets sucked into the combustion chamber. Very pleased to know that it's doing its very simple job.

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tat2hemi: what is a jg tune

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard spectacular things about amsoil just ********ly expensive. I like royal purple and k&n filters. Still a pretty decent performance oil.

Tat2hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jg=jay Greene tune , when I ran royal purple oil I notice a lot more in my catch can that's why I asked on what oil your using. So far Amsoil gave me the best results in what goes in my catch can may end up going back if I don't like pennoil

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Jg=jay Greene tune , when I ran royal purple oil I notice a lot more in my catch can that's why I asked on what oil your using. So far Amsoil gave me the best results in what goes in my catch can may end up going back if I don't like pennoil

I have run Mobil 1, Amsoil, RP, and Redline, each had good and bad things about them. The amount of blow by and collection in the can isn't a great indicator of the quality of the oil and shouldn't be the determining factor when choosing a brand of oil.

I am now dedicated to using Redline because it's resulted in the lowest valve train noise and best results on the Blackstone lab tests I've done. I was using the 5w20 for a while but I've now moved to 0W30 purely because I have physically removed the MDS system and the VI for the 5w20 is 147 vs the 0W30 at 166 with an appreciable difference in the pour point (I run year round in cold winters) and a higher 100C viscosity which is more important for my supercharged engine.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run SS Amsoil in mine. The catch can I empty out every couple of months and never have anymore than about 1/2" of crap in the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tat2hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point! Redline the only oil I haven't tried yet. I'm Running 5w30 now. But the difference in oils to how much the catch can collects tells me which oil is better on oil vapor blowby. I had right at 6k on Amsoil 5w20 ss and catch can just over a 1/4 full and was clean looking,very good results to me