Having a misfire issue Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kempie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello forum people i bough a 1996 dodge ram 1500 back in October truck ran fine until one day all of a sudden the fuel light comes on and the needle stops so i had to drive it about 15 miles to the nearest gas station put gas into then i notice i misfire truck kinda sluggish. So i do plugs wires distributor cap and rotor still misfire then i fill the tank up truck runs great until it gets down to a 1/4 of gas then the misfire starts ans when the misfire happens i push the gas to the floor and it goes away until the rpms go down so today i change crankshaft sensor gas is reading half a tank truck good then on way home it misfires again so i drive to autozone thinking it could be o2 sensor they hook it up to computer and That's what results are truck is at 1/4 tank then needle drops to Empty thrm half tank the back to just above empty so i go throw 25 into it brings it up to a good bit over half tank 11 gallons drive home 10 miles truck runs great no misfire or anything is it possible that when tank ran that low it sucked up crap from tank abs clogged the filter this problem us driving me crazy any help or advise would be appreciated alot i also changed throttle position sensor also there is no Cat on exhaust. Thank you for reading

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It sounds like you need to pull the fuel pump. There could be a problem with the sock or the pickup itself. You could hook up to a fuel pressure gauge to confirm the issue is fuel related first.

And paragraphs are your friend.

OP
OP
Kempie

Kempie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the fast reply i do believe it's something in the fuel pump got 50 miles on right now and no misfire or poor acceleration so going to keep an eye on it and i am pretty confident once the gauge gets down to 1/4 of a tank it will start acting up so going to go ahead and pic up a fuel pump this week and change the pump on the weekend what's the best way to clean inside tank i do appreciate the help thank you

OP
OP
Kempie

Kempie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After all that put a new fuel pump in tank did not fix the problem. I had a upstream code on for a while but i thought hay the o2 sensor don't matter i bought the truck with car already cut out so i thought nope its not the o2 sensor BUT GUESS WHAT I WAS TOTALLY 100% WRONG IT WAS THE UPSTREAM O2 SENSOR but i bought fuel pump for 200 bucks and at the end of the day the fuel gauge works properly now but the upstream o2 sensor caused all my problems she runs amazing now just a update...

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Glad you got it t up and running! A fuel pressure test probably would have saved you the cost and time of the new fuel pump, but it sounds like it all worked out in the end.