HD Lift and Tire Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rambojoe

Rambojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok, need some help. I started this thread back in August because I was going to level my truck. Well, it's been leveled for 6 months and 7k miles and I now have what my dealership says is vibration related to my 2" level kit. It buzzes pretty bad between 62-75 mph and they road force balanced my tires but cannot get rid of it. I called Tuff Country and they have no tech notes in there system about this issue in a 2016 2500.

Any ideas, I'm leaning toward a driveshaft issue but find it hard to believe a 2" lift would cause it

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, need some help. I started this thread back in August because I was going to level my truck. Well, it's been leveled for 6 months and 7k miles and I now have what my dealership says is vibration related to my 2" level kit. It buzzes pretty bad between 62-75 mph and they road force balanced my tires but cannot get rid of it. I called Tuff Country and they have no tech notes in there system about this issue in a 2016 2500.

Any ideas, I'm leaning toward a driveshaft issue but find it hard to believe a 2" lift would cause it

Buzzes?

I would take the time (what, a hour or less?) and simply remove the leveling spacers and go for a test drive.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Buzzes is kind of a weird one? Never hear anyone with that kind of noise before. Most of the time people end up with a "clunking" noise of some sort (loose track bar, worn ball joints etc.)

Where is the sound coming from, front or rear? You mentioned drive shaft that's why I ask.

OP
OP
Rambojoe

Rambojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks guys. When I say buzz it's not tire vibe but more of a chassis vibe, the steering wheel is the recipient of the vibration therefore I called it buzz.
Instead of taking the spacers out which would take me more than an hour, can I just take the driveshaft out to see if that's what it is without hurting anything?

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks guys. When I say buzz it's not tire vibe but more of a chassis vibe, the steering wheel is the recipient of the vibration therefore I called it buzz.
Instead of taking the spaces out which would take me more than an hour, can I just take the driveshaft out to see if that's what it is without hurting anything?

Are you taking the front drive shaft? If so that isn't your problem, it doesn't move unless you are in 4x4. These trucks have the axle disconnect system (CAD)

Some of the "normal" front end issues that come to mind would be more clunking on bumps etc. then what you seem to be feeling (those would be ball joints, loose track bar)

Maybe a bad wheel bearing or axle u-joint? Jack the front end off the ground and see if you have any slop in the wheel bearings? You can check the u-joints for binding with it jacked up turn the wheels all the way to one side and spin the wheels. If they bind and try to straighten out the wheel the joints are probably binding. If they spin and the wheel stays turned they are probably ok?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rambojoe

Rambojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you taking the front drive shaft? Is so that isn't your problem, it doesn't move unless you are in 4x4. These trucks have the axle disconnect system (CAD)

Yeah I was. Well crap, guess I need to take the spacers out. The dealer made it sound like it was a driveshaft angle issue that's why I thought if I took out I could verify it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah I was. Well crap, guess I need to take the spacers out. The dealer made it sound like it was a driveshaft angle issue that's why I thought if I took out I could verify it.

I edited my post above with some ideas. May be worth checking if you have a jack and some stands?

I honestly don't feel the spacers would cause what you are feeling but I can't be 100% sure. Maybe if the alignment was way off? Just don't know for sure

OP
OP
Rambojoe

Rambojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you taking the front drive shaft? If so that isn't your problem, it doesn't move unless you are in 4x4. These trucks have the axle disconnect system (CAD)

Some of the "normal" front end issues that come to mind would be more clunking on bumps etc. then what you seem to be feeling (those would be ball joints, loose track bar)

Maybe a bad wheel bearing or axle u-joint? Jack the front end off the ground and see if you have any slop in the wheel bearings? You can check the u-joints for binding with it jacked up turn the wheels all the way to one side and spin the wheels. If they bind and try to straighten out the wheel the joints are probably binding. If they spin and the wheel stays turned they are probably ok?

The dealer checked it all and could not find a root cause but told me because of the lift they couldn't call FCA to dig deeper. I'm going to get it in the shop and jack up the front end. I had read about alignment being an issue somewhere but not sure what it was, caster maybe??

Also we are talking about a 29k mile truck. Warranty is up in 70 days

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted

It looks like you're running aftermarket wheels in the picture? Hard to tell. If so, were hub rings installed with them to make them hub centric rather than just relying on the lugs? If not, that may be your issue. It is very common to have a vibration/wobbling issue at highway speed without hub centric wheels. You would feel that feedback in the steering as well as you've described.

I highly doubt your leveling spacers are the problem. If the alignment is in spec with them installed they shouldn't be causing an issue at all.

OP
OP
Rambojoe

Rambojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They are the factory 20" wheels and I agree on the spacers. Guess I need to remove them anyway then I can take it back to them

OP
OP
Rambojoe

Rambojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, I took my leveling kit out today and went for a short drive. It is improved but still there. I'm guessing there is something with the driveshaft but not sure yet, it may be in the diff as I noticed it on decel today too.
For the record, I will not be going back to the level kit as the truck rides so much better without it.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Well, I took my leveling kit out today and went for a short drive. It is improved but still there. I'm guessing there is something with the driveshaft but not sure yet, it may be in the diff as I noticed it on decel today too.
For the record, I will not be going back to the level kit as the truck rides so much better without it.
My guess is hub rings