Header help PLEASE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ferret

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I messed up bad. I stripped a hole in my driver side head while installing JBA shorty headers. Any ideas what I can do? Will most local garages be able to fix this?

OP
OP
Ferret

Ferret

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies I hope I don't get turned away.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Ferret,

+1 on the Helicoil. You drill the hole bigger re-tap it using the Helicoil tap and screw the thread insert in. It returns it to the stock thread size. Usually done on spark plug holes but check it out. It should work on the exhaust hole also. Check with a shop they may be able to do it for you.
Good luck hope this helps.

preachp

OP
OP
Ferret

Ferret

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Preachp
Just dropped it off at the shop. They said same thing helicoil. He said he should have it ready for me later today.

Lawhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well i am about to take the plunge into LTH world, hope i dont over torque down my bolts.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
A coupe things I learned on my install.
The drivers side, if your using stage 8 locking bolts, the hole that attaches the dip stick will have to be a stock bolt.
If your going to run cats you will need rear cat plug extensions.
If your wanting to keep your warranty your going to need your cats on so you can return your truck to a stock tune and removing your tuner if any major warrenty work is needed.
This can vary by location and dealership. My wife's dealership shop manager told me Ram is really starting to frown on tuners.
If possible run 3" mandrel bent pipe from your collectors back. Any sharp bends or crinkle bends are going to cause restrictions in the flow of your headers.
Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Ferret

Ferret

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the truck back today. Everything is fixed. Much happier now despite my $300 mistake. Doesn't take much to strip out a bolt in aluminum heads. So BE CAREFUL!!! You DIYers

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I messed up bad. I stripped a hole in my driver side head while installing JBA shorty headers. Any ideas what I can do? Will most local garages be able to fix this?

Just for my own well being, how did you strip it? Over tighten? Cross threaded? I don't want to have this happen.

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the truck back today. Everything is fixed. Much happier now despite my $300 mistake. Doesn't take much to strip out a bolt in aluminum heads. So BE CAREFUL!!! You DIYers
300 bucks to fix stripped threads?!?! I'm in wrong business! For the record, anyone in Michigan that has this problem, please call me. I will remove broken bolt or fix your stripped hole. I'll even throw in the first beer is on me, get that kind of service at a shop...lol

OP
OP
Ferret

Ferret

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
300 bucks to fix stripped threads?!?! I'm in wrong business! For the record, anyone in Michigan that has this problem, please call me. I will remove broken bolt or fix your stripped hole. I'll even throw in the first beer is on me, get that kind of service at a shop...lol

I don't know your rates in the states but up here it's $95/hr. It was a 3 hour job to helicoil it.

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A coupe things I learned on my install.
The drivers side, if your using stage 8 locking bolts, the hole that attaches the dip stick will have to be a stock bolt.
If your going to run cats you will need rear cat plug extensions.
If your wanting to keep your warranty your going to need your cats on so you can return your truck to a stock tune and removing your tuner if any major warrenty work is needed.
This can vary by location and dealership. My wife's dealership shop manager told me Ram is really starting to frown on tuners.
If possible run 3" mandrel bent pipe from your collectors back. Any sharp bends or crinkle bends are going to cause restrictions in the flow of your headers.
Hope this helps!

Is that o2 extension for Shorties or long tubes?

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K that's what I figured just wanted to clarify