Headlight Options

Which setup would you prefer if you could get any of them?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i turned the adjustment screw this morning and the bottom gap closed a lot. I’m still going to see if I can mount them in the stock bracket so they’ll line up better. I’ll let you know. It’ll be a few days before I can get to it though I’m sure. Work is a bit crazy right now with the protests and all.
Hey man no worries, I’m gonna run with mine as is until a bulb goes then I’ll try those like you have. The world is crazy right now, no doubt about it.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i turned the adjustment screw this morning and the bottom gap closed a lot. I’m still going to see if I can mount them in the stock bracket so they’ll line up better. I’ll let you know. It’ll be a few days before I can get to it though I’m sure. Work is a bit crazy right now with the protests and all.
They wont work with the stock brackets. I got mine yesterday and got them installed, only to find out how garbage the brackets they come with are. Also, the spring on the adjustment screw is not strong enough. I transferred my stock spring and it helped to keep the lights stationary. Where the bracket goes over the post on the lights, mine kept popping off and the lights moved around a bunch and would not raise/lower. I ended up taking them back out and running a short screw in with a large washer to keep the bracket from popping off. Got them reinstalled and they're solid now. I'll try to remember to get a picture later to clarify if it doesnt make sense.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They wont work with the stock brackets. I got mine yesterday and got them installed, only to find out how garbage the brackets they come with are. Also, the spring on the adjustment screw is not strong enough. I transferred my stock spring and it helped to keep the lights stationary. Where the bracket goes over the post on the lights, mine kept popping off and the lights moved around a bunch and would not raise/lower. I ended up taking them back out and running a short screw in with a large washer to keep the bracket from popping off. Got them reinstalled and they're solid now. I'll try to remember to get a picture later to clarify if it doesnt make sense.

yea if you could send some photos so I can see what you mean. I was able to get one stock bracket on the new light and it brought the light closer to the bumper to make it more flush. I’ll need to sand down the side holes so the screw and washer can fit right. If it doesn’t and I can’t use the stock bracket again, oh well. I’ll send these back and buy morimotos. Here are some pictures to compare the stock bracket and the aftermarket one. You can tell the stock one makes the light stick out further which makes it more flush with the bumper. I’m doing this on my phone so the photos may come out in the wrong order. I’ll try later to make it a better post for you guys.

79A18B58-1CE5-418D-B835-ED7396291588.jpeg
Stock on left, aftermarket on right

1CF26010-10F3-45C7-9FC2-4599BB52AA0B.jpeg
Aftermarket. Gap between the top right (looking at this photo) bracket hole and fog light front is small. Makes lights further from bumper cutouts.

1B23FB28-17C9-4741-9F22-639D04625A1C.jpeg
Stock. Gap between the top right (looking at photo) bracket hole and fog light front is larger. Brings lights closer to bumper cutout.

CA74E108-63F9-4C29-822D-9DDF2281511A.jpeg
Stock Bracket and light

D565128B-B00E-4CFB-8F2A-2264853EC55C.jpeg
Stock Bracket on Aftermarket light. I'll need to sand the stock hole just a little.

Last edited:

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yea if you could send some photos so I can see what you mean. I was able to get one stock bracket on the new light and it brought the light closer to the bumper to make it more flush. I’ll need to sand down the side holes so the screw and washer can fit right. If it doesn’t and I can’t use the stock bracket again, oh well. I’ll send these back and buy morimotos. Here are some pictures to compare the stock bracket and the aftermarket one. You can tell the stock one makes the light stick out further which makes it more flush with the bumper. I’m doing this on my phone so the photos may come out in the wrong order. I’ll try later to make it a better post for you guys.

View attachment 234596
I'm assuming the one on the left is stock, and the one on the right is the z-offroad light? Did yours come with that screw and washer on it where the bracket goes over the post on the light? That is what I had to add. Mine did not have that, just the post with a hole in the middle, and the bracket kept popping off. I dug around in my "misc junk screw/bolt" bin and found 4 screws and washers to fit to keep the bracket on.

When I tried to install my OEM bracket onto the z-offroad lights, the hole in the OEM bracket was too large for the post on the lights. It looks like yours is opposite and the OEM bracket is too small? That's odd. The box on mine said something to the effect of "new style bracket", or something along those lines. I'll check when I get home.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm assuming the one on the left is stock, and the one on the right is the z-offroad light? Did yours come with that screw and washer on it where the bracket goes over the post on the light? That is what I had to add. Mine did not have that, just the post with a hole in the middle, and the bracket kept popping off. I dug around in my "misc junk screw/bolt" bin and found 4 screws and washers to fit to keep the bracket on.

When I tried to install my OEM bracket onto the z-offroad lights, the hole in the OEM bracket was too large for the post on the lights. It looks like yours is opposite and the OEM bracket is too small? That's odd. The box on mine said something to the effect of "new style bracket", or something along those lines. I'll check when I get home.

Yea I just jumped on the computer to make some adjustments to the post. Left is stock and right is Z-Offroad. Mine came just as it is pictured with the screw, washer, and a rubber washer under the metal one. When I was ordering these I saw a review and he said the customer service told him to get when mine came with and it fixed his issue. Kinda like what you had to do.

Mine does appear to be the exact opposite from the issue you're having with them. My stock bracket has a smaller hole than the post on the aftermarket light. I'll sand it down just a hair for a snug fit and I think it'll work just fine. I have a feeling mine is the newer style since customer service told that guy to buy the parts that mine came with. I'll check the box tonight and see what the top label says.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was able to dremel out the holes and they fit right into the stock brackets. Mounted in and almost flush with the bumper cutouts. Lights are nice and snug. I like the look of them (in the dark). The light output is brighter than my crappy Spyder headlights. I have a few pictures of the light. If anyone needs anymore information just ask away. I took a picture with the fogs off and then on so you can see the light output in the parking lot.

0A8CB161-45C2-4C6D-9E56-EE96D002AEF4.jpeg

E5D69C21-8ABB-46F2-B30F-D6CCC3937940.jpeg

6ADB8D1F-A72E-418B-91CB-80F204F072B7.jpeg

2BF0DC62-4FDE-4F01-929B-247F7A61B8E3.jpeg

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

here is the sticker on my box. Sorry it’s upside down. Also, I found another sticker that makes these brackets not dependable. It says “Made in China”.

2F52D82C-9DB2-434D-A554-66DC9933DE95.jpeg

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here are some daytime photos of the new fogs on the stock brackets. As you can tell, it brought them a lot closer to the bumper and closed the gap. I also added some smoked LED tag lights this afternoon.

3E6E20C1-69B2-4387-98C8-8603F55D3247.jpeg

BCC11283-393B-4C6F-A866-ACB8E9D8E3CC.jpeg

A2964E38-E43E-4FFD-9758-854431CDD8BA.jpeg

6CACABBA-7F65-4931-86C0-367228D253BB.jpeg

323AC3AD-0C24-4CB6-B8A6-F649A7B4C7D1.jpeg

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was able to dremel out the holes and they fit right into the stock brackets. Mounted in and almost flush with the bumper cutouts. Lights are nice and snug. I like the look of them (in the dark). The light output is brighter than my crappy Spyder headlights. I have a few pictures of the light. If anyone needs anymore information just ask away. I took a picture with the fogs off and then on so you can see the light output in the parking lot.

View attachment 234651

if that’s your fog lights, they are aimed way too high.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
if that’s your fog lights, they are aimed way too high.

that was with the aftermarket brackets on. I haven’t been able to get a photo with them mounted in the stock brackets. Heck I haven’t even cut them on at night yet to be honest.

Megalodon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 233614
Headlights do nothing to improve the performance or function of the truck. Anything other than stock is simply money wasted, especially at the prices for after-market ****.

Mine came factory with projectors and they function just fine.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

Cheers

Bob

Vanity plates do nothing to improve the performance or function of the truck. Anything other than regular issue is simply money wasted, especially since it costs more AND makes you look like a d-bag.

My standard issue license plate works just fine.

p.s. you don’t actually sound like a very humble person and sometimes opinions are best kept to yourself.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I had tyc projectors with morimoto hids and factory fogs.Had for about 2 years on truck,Personally I will never put hids on another truck I ever own as they are a pita,Just lots of stupid problems.I find with projectors that on a straight road it's fantastic but when your on twisty country roads there is no light from them out to the side close to truck,actually dangerous if you ask me especially going down hill into turns.I switched recently to the new morimoto xb with led fog lights that I bought from a Canadian company.Thread about them here I can't think of brand.I am delighted with this setup,night and day difference.Zero problems and they light the road fantastic.
You lack of wide light pattern was the projector, not the hid. Tyc like many others, use cheap projectors. Morimoto mini h1 or d2s projector has a wide pattern. When wired and installed correctly, they are flawless, no pia problems.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Got my TYCs in today. Excited as hell to have a few hours one day soon to hook them up. Gotta research all these wires it came with though. Not familiar at all with the HID stuff. Picture isn’t the best I know.

5F1E588A-C03E-44F5-839B-5B40E1328C70.jpeg

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
HIDs require ballasts & decoders (unless you use AlfaOBD). The wire on the bulb faces down.
35w ballasts produce true bulb color, 55w is brighter & farther but drops the color rating a bit.
A 35w 5000k will be true white, but a 55w 6000k will be just as white being @ 5500k with the higher ballast.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Vanity plates do nothing to improve the performance or function of the truck. Anything other than regular issue is simply money wasted, especially since it costs more AND makes you look like a d-bag.

My standard issue license plate works just fine.

p.s. you don’t actually sound like a very humble person and sometimes opinions are best kept to yourself.
Nicely done.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
HIDs require ballasts & decoders (unless you use AlfaOBD). The wire on the bulb faces down.
35w ballasts produce true bulb color, 55w is brighter & farther but drops the color rating a bit.
A 35w 5000k will be true white, but a 55w 6000k will be just as white being @ 5500k with the higher ballast.

Yea it came with all the wiring I need. But, it’s more than I expected. I’m hoping it’ll match the LED fogs since I ordered them separately. It’s a 35w ballasts with 5000k kit.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea it came with all the wiring I need. But, it’s more than I expected. I’m hoping it’ll match the LED fogs since I ordered them separately. It’s a 35w ballasts with 5000k kit.
If you got HID to go with them, I highly recommend downloading AlfaOBD and getting a Bluetooth dongle and just changing the settings instead of installing that mess of a wiring harness. I had the harness and was having issues randomly (one light wouldn’t fire all the time). I yanked it, got the app and changed the settings. No more mess of wires, no issues.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you got HID to go with them, I highly recommend downloading AlfaOBD and getting a Bluetooth dongle and just changing the settings instead of installing that mess of a wiring harness. I had the harness and was having issues randomly (one light wouldn’t fire all the time). I yanked it, got the app and changed the settings. No more mess of wires, no issues.

I’ll have to look into that. So when you get that, you don’t need all the extra wires? Seems a lot easier.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ll have to look into that. So when you get that, you don’t need all the extra wires? Seems a lot easier.
The only wiring needed outside of OEM is the adapter harness for the projectors, if you’re coming from quads. And of course the ballast to bulb wires that need to go through the dust cap on the porjector housing. It eliminates the massive HID relay harness, that is a common failure point.