Headlight Options

Which setup would you prefer if you could get any of them?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok guys,

I know this will probably end up being a "get what you like and can afford" response, but I wanted some opinions. I have a crappy set of Spyder headlights on my truck. Well, they look decent but I have never adjusted them so the light output is terrible. Since the "oh so wonderful" government will only give us $600 instead of the $2k Trump wanted, I have to manage my budget vs what is really worth it. I could afford to go up to $2k, but if I can get the same or better light output and great looks cheaper I'd like to. Here are the options I am considering getting from Rertroshop:

1) TYC Sport Headlights with drop in HID Kit 6000K = $1,050
2) TYC Sport Headlights, Morimoto Projector Fogs, and HID Kit 6000K for all lights = $1,415
3) Morimoto XB Led headlights, Morimoto Projector Fogs, HID Kit 6000K for fogs = $1,730
4) (Custom Build) TYC Sport Headlights, Blacked out paint, Clear Reflector, Diode Dynamics Switchback turn signal, Profile Prism Halo/C Bars (RGB) with XBT Remote, and HID Kit 6000K = $1,940

I know this really all depends on what I want. I want great light output at night more than anything. But I also want the kind of lights you see coming up behind you and you think "damn, those are badass lights". I'm also kind of confused on the Morimoto headlights, do they come with Halogen or LED bulbs? I don't fully understand the Profile Prism Halo/C Bars, but I guess its the only ones that you can adjust to multiple colors from your phone? I've had my truck since I bought her new in 1/2015 and she is just under 47K miles. So I'm sure I'll have her at minimum another 3 years, but probably 5+ since she is paid for and has no issues. Any suggestions, photos, or other places to research would be a great help. This forum is the best out there and everyone is always willing to pitch in advice so I'm coming here first.

THANKS!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You should add a 5th option for "none of the above".
Seriously, I wouldn't go near $1000 lights when you can source other makes/options for far less.
I paid $189 for these AmeriLite headlights with DRL tubes, added Fahren H13/9008 LEDs for $45, and Alla switchback LED fogs for $50. Total $285.
View media item 30146

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whatever you do, avoid the Morimoto fog lights. DEFINITELY don't pay $365 for them. They look ok (looking at the truck) if you have a black bumper, otherwise they just make it look like you are missing your fog lights. The projector is tiny and gets lost in the black surround. On top of that, I get more output from a $5 gas station flash light. They are completely useless as a light.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, none of the above. A retrofit of stock projectors or quads will give you much better output than any of those. But if you want something drop in, go XBs.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should be able to get TYC lights and an HID kit for them for considerably less than $1000. I paid $450 for mine, not including the HID.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank is for the feedback guys. I looked at several videos yesterday and the alpharex has great light output, but they kinda look cheap to me. Even though the price isn’t. Thank you bigred90gt for the fog light input. I have a gray truck so they might not look good with them. I’m going to go with the TYC to keep the original look I think. I just have to decide on if I want to pay $500 to have them cut open and blacked out with the clear reflector or not. I’ve decided not to do all the halos and such as my truck isn’t a show truck by any means. If anyone else is any input I’d take it as I’m going to have to wait another week or two to place my order.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank is for the feedback guys. I looked at several videos yesterday and the alpharex has great light output, but they kinda look cheap to me. Even though the price isn’t. Thank you bigred90gt for the fog light input. I have a gray truck so they might not look good with them. I’m going to go with the TYC to keep the original look I think. I just have to decide on if I want to pay $500 to have them cut open and blacked out with the clear reflector or not. I’ve decided not to do all the halos and such as my truck isn’t a show truck by any means. If anyone else is any input I’d take it as I’m going to have to wait another week or two to place my order.
There's LED projector fog lights on Amazon (forget the name) that are less than 1/2 the cost of the Morimoto, but appear to be more than double the output and they dont just look like black holes in the bumper.

This isn't a head on shot, but you can see it looks like I'm just missing the fog lights.
IMG_0139.jpg

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I had tyc projectors with morimoto hids and factory fogs.Had for about 2 years on truck,Personally I will never put hids on another truck I ever own as they are a pita,Just lots of stupid problems.I find with projectors that on a straight road it's fantastic but when your on twisty country roads there is no light from them out to the side close to truck,actually dangerous if you ask me especially going down hill into turns.I switched recently to the new morimoto xb with led fog lights that I bought from a Canadian company.Thread about them here I can't think of brand.I am delighted with this setup,night and day difference.Zero problems and they light the road fantastic.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had tyc projectors with morimoto hids and factory fogs.Had for about 2 years on truck,Personally I will never put hids on another truck I ever own as they are a pita,Just lots of stupid problems.I find with projectors that on a straight road it's fantastic but when your on twisty country roads there is no light from them out to the side close to truck,actually dangerous if you ask me especially going down hill into turns.I switched recently to the new morimoto xb with led fog lights that I bought from a Canadian company.Thread about them here I can't think of brand.I am delighted with this setup,night and day difference.Zero problems and they light the road fantastic.

do you happen to have any photos of them installed? How is the light output? Also, do they come with LEDs? Sorry for the 21 questions. But can’t find anything on the lights they come with.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does anyone know if you can run LEDs in the TYC headlights? They seem a lot easier to do over HIDs.

Last edited:

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What i did was go with stock projectors and did the 9011/9012 upgrade. I really like the look and the lights are plenty bright.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_6478.JPG
Headlights do nothing to improve the performance or function of the truck. Anything other than stock is simply money wasted, especially at the prices for after-market ****.

Mine came factory with projectors and they function just fine.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

Cheers

Bob

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Headlights do nothing to improve the performance or function of the truck. Anything other than stock is simply money wasted, especially at the prices for after-market ****.

Mine came factory with projectors and they function just fine.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

Cheers

Bob

Unfortunately I was not as well off as I am now and got what I could afford at the time seeing as law enforcement isn't a high paying job. You're obviously blessed and able to afford a $40k vehicle, but mine was $27k. Which was a bottom line new truck Tradesman/Express. So I had quads. Got the Spyder projectors because it was what I could afford and sold the quads. It will greatly raise the function as I will be able to see at night once I upgrade. People spend their money on their rides in different ways. I don't see the point in spending $15k to get 600hp that you can't use racing around on the streets, but people do it. Appreciate the ever so humble response though! Bottoms up!

Yarek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 magnum
Here's how I went about it:
I installed new headlight housings and put these bulbs in:
https://www.amazon.com/SAGESUNNY-Headlight-Headlights-Conversion-Replacement/dp/B08DQWWVZ2/

I got new fog-light housings ($19 from eBay) and dropped these in:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHF7YVR/

And then I added a light bar on the front bumper:
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-42Inch-Curved-Driving-Warranty/dp/B019SVJX40/

It's stupid bright when I turn it all on. That extra light bar in the front is great for off-roading at night. On the public roads I can only use it when there is no one around as it is blinding, especially when it's coming from a 12" lifted truck. The only times it's appropriate to use it when I ain't alone on the road, is when someone is going slow in the left lane, and won't move over ;-)

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Here's how I went about it:
I installed new headlight housings and put these bulbs in:
https://www.amazon.com/SAGESUNNY-Headlight-Headlights-Conversion-Replacement/dp/B08DQWWVZ2/

I got new fog-light housings ($19 from eBay) and dropped these in:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHF7YVR/

And then I added a light bar on the front bumper:
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-42Inch-Curved-Driving-Warranty/dp/B019SVJX40/

It's stupid bright when I turn it all on. That extra light bar in the front is great for off-roading at night. On the public roads I can only use it when there is no one around as it is blinding, especially when it's coming from a 12" lifted truck. The only times it's appropriate to use it when I ain't alone on the road, is when someone is going slow in the left lane, and won't move over ;-)
Ya mean those awesome prius drivers lol

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AlphaRex, very bright, high quality, look awesome and priced right. We offer them too! Message me if you would like a quote on them

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately I was not as well off as I am now and got what I could afford at the time seeing as law enforcement isn't a high paying job. You're obviously blessed and able to afford a $40k vehicle, but mine was $27k. Which was a bottom line new truck Tradesman/Express. So I had quads. Got the Spyder projectors because it was what I could afford and sold the quads. It will greatly raise the function as I will be able to see at night once I upgrade. People spend their money on their rides in different ways. I don't see the point in spending $15k to get 600hp that you can't use racing around on the streets, but people do it. Appreciate the ever so humble response though! Bottoms up!

And my last one was a BOTL Express. Nothing wrong with that. Blessed? Nope. I just have a plan. Every month I put a truck payment in the bank. One day, when I need a new vehicle, I'll have the cash. My wife and I make sacrifices to do it, but that's the price of being disciplined. Sometimes it's not easy, but in the end you have the title in your hand when you walk out the door. That's my motivation.

This truck, we had to dig deep. The last one got hit by a tri-axle dump truck after only owning it for two years. This one was on the lot when I traded it in. Wiped out my truck account and a third of my sailing account. Had to put a couple of boat projects on hold, but it was still worth it.

Cheers and all the very best to you. Law enforcement is a tough game these days. I don't envy you, but I certainly appreciate what you do.

Bob