Headlight retainer clip too tight for my headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadianbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 outdoorsman 5.7
So I have had my new aftermarket headlights installed for about 3 weeks now I believe, in the process of installing I had issues pulling down the white retainer clip to lock my headlights how they should. Ended up breaking a piece off the clip and couldn't seem to get the other one to pull down either... Got a new clip today and tried it out with the same results of it being too tight

With there being 2 bolts I'm it hasn't worried me so far, but I still want to resolve this... Basically the issue I've noticed is my after market lights aren't quite going past the notches part of the clip that pulls down even after putting some pressure on the clip to push it closer towards the headlight. Perhaps the ball socket might have to be cleaned out and possibly greased to bring the headlight closer to the clip, which I may try next unless someone has an idea?

I know the fitment for my headlights (Morimoto) are different for canadian built rams compared to American ones from what I saw in videos, but I've seen people have them installed on their trucks from Canada.

Sorry if this is a silly thread, but like the headlights look like they could definitely come closer by an 1/8 of an inch :/

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have had my new aftermarket headlights installed for about 3 weeks now I believe, in the process of installing I had issues pulling down the white retainer clip to lock my headlights how they should. Ended up breaking a piece off the clip and couldn't seem to get the other one to pull down either... Got a new clip today and tried it out with the same results of it being too tight

With there being 2 bolts I'm it hasn't worried me so far, but I still want to resolve this... Basically the issue I've noticed is my after market lights aren't quite going past the notches part of the clip that pulls down even after putting some pressure on the clip to push it closer towards the headlight. Perhaps the ball socket might have to be cleaned out and possibly greased to bring the headlight closer to the clip, which I may try next unless someone has an idea?

I know the fitment for my headlights (Morimoto) are different for canadian built rams compared to American ones from what I saw in videos, but I've seen people have them installed on their trucks from Canada.

Sorry if this is a silly thread, but like the headlights look like they could definitely come closer by an 1/8 of an inch :/
Are you tightening the 2 bolts before pulling the clip down? If so, leave the bolts out and try to clip it in first. If you're still having issues, just try to push and move it around until it locks in. Some aftermarket housings are slightly off and that makes aligning the ball and tabs difficult. Alpharex lights gave me a bit of trouble, but was able to get them in. American/Canadian trucks are all the same really, with only minor differences in guages, everything else is the same since they're all made in the same factories.

OP
OP
Canadianbreed

Canadianbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 outdoorsman 5.7
Are you tightening the 2 bolts before pulling the clip down? If so, leave the bolts out and try to clip it in first. If you're still having issues, just try to push and move it around until it locks in. Some aftermarket housings are slightly off and that makes aligning the ball and tabs difficult. Alpharex lights gave me a bit of trouble, but was able to get them in. American/Canadian trucks are all the same really, with only minor differences in guages, everything else is the same since they're all made in the same factories.
I have tried pulling the tab down with the bolts out while keeping the headlight torwards the clip and even tried tightening them when I pushed the headlight closer to the clip so I could get both my hands in there with no luck unfortunately. I'll try again sometime soon, might try getting both my hands in there with a flathead screwdriver pushing in the clip as I attempt to pull the lever down lol which wasn't fun trying. I could always remove the inner part of my fender to really get at this clip though

ontariokeener

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a bit of a struggle with getting the drivers side of my 2014 Ram to latch with the Morimoto XBs. Basically had to wiggle the light around with my left hand and mess with the clip with my right. FWIW my stock headlight ran for a long time with that tab broke right off with no issues. Then too bolt holds the light in place. I'd like to know who came up with this system in the first place. What woukdbhave been wrong with another ball and socket or another bolt accessible though the fender. Sheesh.