Headlight Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurtis West

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
07 QC 1500 5.7 4x4

I'm looking at upgrading my stock headlights as the light output is terrible.

I currently have DRL and am trying to contact my local dealership in an attempt to reset my country code to the US vs Can.

I know the best way is to retrofit but as moneys tight as well as time I was looking at spyder lights.

The ones im looking at are separate HI and Lo beam bulbs that end up connecting into one plug in. However, I do know the halogens that come for the lo beam projectors are God awful. I'm looking to replace the lo beams with either a 6k hid or 35w led set up.

What would I need to do to accomplish this?

Would i simply have to cut the connectors that are pre installed and direct route my wires to one another?
Or is it possible that retro fit source may make a kit to upgrade the H1 bulbs that come in spyders headlights?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
There are upgrade kits, but you would be wise to do a lot of research first because there are more kits out there that will be worse than what you have now and there are some really awesome ones out there and there are many more ways you could just do it all yourself and save some serious green. Unless you have someone or know someone that has already done it and they have recommendations, you will be well educated on lights and bulbs before you're done with this. Good luck,

OP
OP
K

Kurtis West

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What would your recommendation be? I don't mind paying up to 400 for decent headlights. I can't see worth a **** currently and I've only got a leveling kit. So in reality that shouldn't affect my light output that much.

I'm a professional emergency vehicle upfitter so doing a full on one off wiring harness isn't much. I just need to know if it's capable of upgrading the spyder halogens in their projector for hids or leds. I know that spyder isn't the best but all I can find is spyder, akkon and some other A named brand but their apparently all spyder brand.

So I was hoping to upgrade for looks but to also upgrade the output. I'm not a fan of putting leds in a non adjustable reflector housing.

There are upgrade kits, but you would be wise to do a lot of research first because there are more kits out there that will be worse than what you have now and there are some really awesome ones out there and there are many more ways you could just do it all yourself and save some serious green. Unless you have someone or know someone that has already done it and they have recommendations, you will be well educated on lights and bulbs before you're done with this. Good luck,

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey Kurtis, I have an older dodge (2005) and it uses different housings and bulbs than your 2007. I upgraded to LED because I wanted smoked out housings (front, rear, cab, every exterior light) and the only way I could get decent light out of them was by converting to LEDs. My smoked headlights are reflector and with the right bulbs they put stock lights all to shame, especially when you throw in the LED fog lights. I haven't been getting any brights flashed at me either, so I mustn't be blinding people. With reflector housings you definitely want to go with 2 sided leds and you want to clock them correctly for maximum light effect. I did have to add resistors to the brake lights, turn signals front and rear and the headlights, but that couldn't be easier as long as you mount to a metal surface because they do get hot. Without them my brake lights flashed like emergency strobes, which was kinda cool, but not legal. And the headlights, especially when you flipped between hi and low would go dark, which was not cool (just ask the dear wife). I spent a few months researching and still learned through experience. There's a lot of conflicting info out there and a lot of bad info, but ultimately, I love the LEDs and the overall effect. Just for LED bulbs, not counting housings or resistors I spent approx. $50. another $35. on resistors, and $120. for housings all told. There really are some decent LED head light bulbs on ebay for around $20. I ended up happy with 2 sided Mini bulbs rated at 1500 Watts, but don't go by watts or lumens, they're all over the place. Good luck, hope this helps,

I forgot to ask, what do you mean by 'non-adjustable reflector housing'. The bulbs are clocked, which is an adjustment, and the housings can be adjusted up-down-and side to side. (Not all can be adjusted side to side, but my smoked can)