Headlights quit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pstan13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Coming home last night, I discovered the headlights of my 1996 Ram 2500 Cummins didn't work. Driving down a winding, mountain road after dark and in the rain, I had only my parking lights. When I got on more level ground, I found that if I held the high beam lever toward me, the high beam lights would stay on, but I had to hold it pulled toward me. The headlights have never been very good and I have been reading about upgrading them.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or know where I can start troubleshooting this problem?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The same thing happened when my daughter was driving my truck. Headlights would only work when holding the high beams on. It was the headlight switch on my '97.

OP
OP
pstan13

pstan13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks! I found a switch in town and plan to change it today.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Before you replace the switch, try tilting the column up and down with the lights on. Common issue for wires to pull out of the connector at the bottom of the switch.

OP
OP
pstan13

pstan13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Before you replace the switch, try tilting the column up and down with the lights on. Common issue for wires to pull out of the connector at the bottom of the switch.

I pulled the old switch out and a couple of the terminals were melted. New headlight switch fixed the problem.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I pulled the old switch out and a couple of the terminals were melted. New headlight switch fixed the problem.

This is completely normal for these trucks. Quite a few of us took it upon ourselves to upgrade our headlight setup. Unlike newer trucks that use relays ours pass the power directly through that switch. Our 96 models send a power through the switch instead of ground like the later 2nd gens did.