Hear me out.. Does a Pedal Commander really work??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Jay already has 27% added to your TPS from a custom tune.

Adding anymore through use of external input booster or the DiabloSport Device may result in a TCM error at WOT.
upload_2020-9-17_7-7-30.jpeg

Porting the intake/throttle body with ambient intake charge temps will certainly be better. Plus there are much cheaper units out there.

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Speed Form Throttle controller for RAM 1500 is just $125. It won't make your truck faster but it won't hurt that much knowing it :).

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, if you running larger tires, use the PD and it works wonders. I’m
Not all scientific about things, and this is one of those things. Install was a breeze and changing settings is a breeze. Wakes the truck up.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you have concluded all of this and you never even used a pedal commander before?

I was skeptical once til i bought one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Why can't mods be personal preference without someone using derogatory comments like lazy. Isn't almost EVERY MOD designed to make something easier or simple... and what do you give a F*&K what I spend my $150 on for a used PC that I think is the best $150 I've spent on my truck so far!!!

Compare that to spending TOP $$$ on Redline or Royal Purple for only 5000 miles of benefit when the PC has changed my truck for ever!!!

OP
OP
Cwils80

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alrighty everyone let's settle down lol I like when things make sense to me, and it makes more sense to me as a throttle booster than a lag eliminator. Like other mods they make sense and do exactly what they're advertised as. Long tubes. Custom tune. Fan clutch delete physically creating less drag on the engine allowing it to spin up faster. They all make sense for the mods "intended purpose". I had a booster on my 3rd Gen Dakota I had and I agree it felt like the lag could have been gone (its been so long) but it more or less felt like the pedal is just more sensitive not "eliminating the lag time" and my driving was just more in the higher RPMs because it boosts the percentage of the throttle position.

Like if I'm cruising 40 and WOT with or without the pedal Commander the time it takes for the engine to react should be the same. Theoretically with the pedal Commander there should be no delay for the engine to react and that's kinda what people are saying that it does. "eliminates pedal delay". But that doesnt make sense to me and was hoping someone would be able to give me a good explanation on how it eliminates lag. If I find one for half price yeah I'll probably get it to be honest to try it out and see for myself and what not.

No more fighting lol we're all hear to gain and share knowledge.

Keith Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Cummins
Alrighty everyone let's settle down lol I like when things make sense to me, and it makes more sense to me as a throttle booster than a lag eliminator. Like other mods they make sense and do exactly what they're advertised as. Long tubes. Custom tune. Fan clutch delete physically creating less drag on the engine allowing it to spin up faster. They all make sense for the mods "intended purpose". I had a booster on my 3rd Gen Dakota I had and I agree it felt like the lag could have been gone (its been so long) but it more or less felt like the pedal is just more sensitive not "eliminating the lag time" and my driving was just more in the higher RPMs because it boosts the percentage of the throttle position.

Like if I'm cruising 40 and WOT with or without the pedal Commander the time it takes for the engine to react should be the same. Theoretically with the pedal Commander there should be no delay for the engine to react and that's kinda what people are saying that it does. "eliminates pedal delay". But that doesnt make sense to me and was hoping someone would be able to give me a good explanation on how it eliminates lag. If I find one for half price yeah I'll probably get it to be honest to try it out and see for myself and what not.

No more fighting lol we're all hear to gain and share knowledge.

IMO the way to describe it is exactly what doesn't make sense to you....it eliminates delay. In stock form, when you hit the gas (lightly or even stomping it down) there's a delay / lag from the time you stomp the pedal to the time hard acceleration begins. Also, at full throttle you do not get 100% of what the truck is capable. With the PC there is NO DELAY. The throttle response is instant and you get more gas at full throttle. Doesn't give more horsepower like a true tune, but completely changes how the truck drives. Turns your RAM into a sports car. I love it. I think you're over thinking it. If you love driving a vehicle that is sporty and responsive you need this mod. To me, a stock RAM is an old man's truck to putt around the farm. The PC turns it into the ultimate driving machine (to steal a line from BMW :)

Last edited:

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I definitely know our trucks have a little bit of pedal lag. I know all the different options that can "get rid of it" and everything. But I've thought about buying a PC and here's my thoughts and I want to know who agrees with me, and if you disagree, with me why do you think I'm wrong?

I'm my profession (network engineer) your connection is only as fast as the slowest link. I believe that carries over to a lot of different things and I believe this is one of them.

I could be wrong in this and correct me of I am but the PCM reads the throttle position sensor and tells the throttle body to open up to whatever percentage.

Now if this is true then you will always be tied to how fast can the pcm read the sensor. How fast can it tell the TB to open up and then how fast can the truck responds to the TB opening up.

I'm my opinion plugging a device into the pedal itself can't make every other device react faster unless every other device is programmed or changed to read faster.

Am I correct in my thought? Am I wrong? If I'm wrong can you explain to me why? It would help me convince myself to get a Pedal Commander lol
######

I think you're looking the wrong way to try and understand this. Think of PC as a network throughput management device. Pedal depressed it does nothing, pedal pressed add x% to signal. x - a predefined amplification signal .There are settings that allow for signal attenuation in which case you press the pedal and truck reacts slower than normal... If you select a setting that amplifies the signal your truck will react faster to pedal pressed if you select an attenuation setting it will react slower... it is simple. PCM has nothing to do with the signal as it does the same thing the same way as it normally does. A router will route as fast as it always does regardless of the throughput ...but you the user (driver) will have an improved experience if the throughput is faster and implicitly the router routes sooner so you can get the result in less time ... is this more in line with your understanding ability? :)

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No comparison a tune is much more than just a throttle input table remap,at least a real custom tune, but even canned tunes are also more than the commander thingy. No comparison and if you put 2 trucks same mods side by side, the tuned one should win every single time dig or roll :) the commander doesn't add power is just a feeling thing for $300..
throttle input table is at PCM level PC works before PCM by altering adding or subtracting signal. If you want to compare it with something the most accurate is a 40lb 12 yr old pressing the gas pedal vs a 225lb adult pressing it. PC achieves the same result as you would by pressing the pedal harder but your brain will perceive it different in terms of result because you put less effort in achieving the same result
;)

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
The Pedal Commander only changes the value of the information sent to the truck computer from the pedal. You can do the same by pressing the pedal harder. So it feels like it works, but it's simply a change in numbers. It does not actually fix pedal lag, just changes the information. Is this bad? No. Is it wrong? No. Just different. I used one once to make the pedal lighter due to leg issues I was having. Worked OK, but the Pedal Commander did cause my truck to have an error that put it into "limp mode" once. Very scary. I liked the Pedal Commander other than that error it caused. There are YouTube videos, search for "Pedal Commander Issues" to see some.

Technical explanation with more info: Pedal commander induces a change to the potentiometer to flatten (or lengthen) the curve of rate change of values from the potentiometer on the actual gas pedal. That's all it does. Period. It does not play with the computer in the truck to induce any change to the functions the truck already has. Increasing the Pedal Commander rate is identical to pressing the gas pedal harder (or lighter if reduced.)

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Pedal Commander only changes the value of the information sent to the truck computer from the pedal. You can do the same by pressing the pedal harder. So it feels like it works, but it's simply a change in numbers. It does not actually fix pedal lag, just changes the information. Is this bad? No. Is it wrong? No. Just different. I used one once to make the pedal lighter due to leg issues I was having. Worked OK, but the Pedal Commander did cause my truck to have an error that put it into "limp mode" once. Very scary. I liked the Pedal Commander other than that error it caused. There are YouTube videos, search for "Pedal Commander Issues" to see some.

Technical explanation with more info: Pedal commander induces a change to the potentiometer to flatten (or lengthen) the curve of rate change of values from the potentiometer on the actual gas pedal. That's all it does. Period. It does not play with the computer in the truck to induce any change to the functions the truck already has. Increasing the Pedal Commander rate is identical to pressing the gas pedal harder (or lighter if reduced.)
###

lool, "not actually fix pedal lag, just changes the information." you contradicted yourself in one sentence. It doesn't change the pedal travel but it does change the response lag ... this is what you mean . ;)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ive had two....when I bought my 2019 Classic, was one of the first mods.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
###

lool, "not actually fix pedal lag, just changes the information." you contradicted yourself in one sentence. It doesn't change the pedal travel but it does change the response lag ... this is what you mean . ;)

No contradiction. It does not change the lag in the computer, it can't do that. It just "pushes the pedal harder" for you, which makes lag feel less. The lag is still there. Anyone can reduce lag by pushing the pedal harder. Pedal commander pushes it harder for you so there is less effort needed on the pedal. My statement was intentional and explanatory. Sorry it was confusing.

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No contradiction. It does not change the lag in the computer, it can't do that. It just "pushes the pedal harder" for you, which makes lag feel less. The lag is still there. Anyone can reduce lag by pushing the pedal harder. Pedal commander pushes it harder for you so there is less effort needed on the pedal. My statement was intentional and explanatory. Sorry it was confusing.

## there is no lag in the computer (PCM) the lag is between your brain- your pressing the pedal and car responding to your action, implicitly you registering the response (speeding up). PC eliminates the lag by adding a little to the PC input signal and as effect making it respond sooner. :) in the past (dbw) you'd tighten the acceleration cable keep the car 100rpm's higher but now with electronic acceleration you can keep the rpm low and increase the signal achieving the same result as you'd decrease pedal travel

Keith Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Cummins

Just to give a slight correction....no you cannot do the same thing that PC does just by pressing the pedal harder. A stock ram with NEVER give you throttle response like a PC does no matter how hard you slam the gas.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I'm not sure if what I have is throttle lag, but would peddle commander work. This assuming the PC just inflates the throttle pressure.

Especially when my truck is cold, if I try to even slight roll through a stop (like if light turns green when I have decelerated to 1-2 mph) when I push the gas, it feels like there is almost no power and then a second later BAM! It's like I floored the peddle. The trans doesn't rev (like a bad TC or anything) until the power gets ramped up. If I come to a complete stop and wait 2-3 seconds, then it accelerates like expected.

OP
OP
Cwils80

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here this pretty much proves what I'm trying to say. Yes it'll help with drive ability and give you a better overall experience driving the truck. But it won't fix pedal lag.

This person does WOT tests and you can hear his pedal hit the floor then see the time it takes for the truck to respond.

No its not the pedal Commander but this will do the same thing just not as adjustable as a PC.