Hear me out.. Does a Pedal Commander really work??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
If I press my pedal all way to floor for wot then I do not want a device that changes the wot position to the first inch or whatever of the pedal travel.I like slamming my go pedal to the real floor

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If I press my pedal all way to floor for wot then I do not want a device that changes the wot position to the first inch or whatever of the pedal travel.I like slamming my go pedal to the real floor

If you have not driven without the PC and then with it, you can not comment on how it feels when driving with one. I assumed I knew what it would feel like, and my first time driving with mine 2 nights ago was so different from what I expected and assumed it would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octane

Reaction score
If you have not driven without the PC and then with it, you can not comment on how it feels when driving with one. I assumed I knew what it would feel like, and my first time driving with mine 2 nights ago was so different from what I expected and assumed it would do.

I believe a retuning is the way to go.

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the pc for about a month now. I feel the best part is when your on the highway for passing cars its great. I have mine set on sport mode no + or -. I haven't even put it into sport plus yet .I feel sport mode is perfect. It is definitely worth the money for me and there's no way to understand the difference unless you actually drive with one. Imo of course.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have had the pc for about a month now. I feel the best part is when your on the highway for passing cars its great. I have mine set on sport mode no + or -. I haven't even put it into sport plus yet .I feel sport mode is perfect. It is definitely worth the money for me and there's no way to understand the difference unless you actually drive with one. Imo of course.

Yes. I had a belief of what I thought would be the response, and then once I drove for the first time, it was nowhere near what I thought it would be (in a good way). I literally said “holy ****” out loud and my mouth was hanging open. The throttle response was something I always hated on my truck and was tired of giving my truck 50%-75% throttle when merging and my truck either not moving or going anywhere, or taking 3+ seconds to downshift. Now, with the PC, I can hit the gas 10-20% and my truck will respond without any hesitation or delay. I feel this allows me to drive more safely, able to avoid accidents or accelerate faster if a vehicle gets in my way and I need to do a defensive maneuver.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Ive had mine replaced twice under warranty bluetooth version.Both times i was in sportplus and what had happened as i was approaching the red light slowing dwn from about 50mph and then the light turned green not at full stop i gave it gas and went into limp mode with dash message regarding throttle. I had to put the pedal down to the floor to get home five miles away.Once i removed the PC the truck went back to normal.For what its worth it takes away the throttle lag even with the ac on.At WOT sport plus 4 i had difficulty controllin the truck as it wanted to launch like a rocket,i found myself applying the brakes more in that mode,definately not for street driving.Ive learned what this thing can do and have adjusted to its responses to my driving habits.By the way im driving a 2500 and have at times left some heavy footed 1500`s at the line thanks to the PEDAL COMMANDER

Wayne E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I definitely know our trucks have a little bit of pedal lag. I know all the different options that can "get rid of it" and everything. But I've thought about buying a PC and here's my thoughts and I want to know who agrees with me, and if you disagree, with me why do you think I'm wrong?

I'm my profession (network engineer) your connection is only as fast as the slowest link. I believe that carries over to a lot of different things and I believe this is one of them.

I could be wrong in this and correct me of I am but the PCM reads the throttle position sensor and tells the throttle body to open up to whatever percentage.

Now if this is true then you will always be tied to how fast can the pcm read the sensor. How fast can it tell the TB to open up and then how fast can the truck responds to the TB opening up.

I'm my opinion plugging a device into the pedal itself can't make every other device react faster unless every other device is programmed or changed to read faster.

Am I correct in my thought? Am I wrong? If I'm wrong can you explain to me why? It would help me convince myself to get a Pedal Commander lol
If you want to have the fun of PC, but don't like the price, 9 Drive is exact same thing, but only costs $55 US. I've had one for months and love it. Big deal it doesn't have bluetooth, not like I'll be using my phone to change settings anyways.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Im with you. PC cant predict when you are going to press that pedal.

My car has a "sporty" throttle and it kinda sucks when you have 300 horses. If PC works, i am not sure if i want 400 horses to an open differential.

Edit: i wrote can, but should be can't predict.
It's my understanding that the devices simply improve throttle response. They don't add 100 hp to your engine's output.
If I had a new truck with response issues I'd use Bank's product. They explain that the response improvement does not work in reverse. https://www.bankspower.com/i-2935-p...del=5.7L GAS||model=1500||make=RAM||year=2018

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
I’m too cheap and besides I am just sitting there anyway driving. It’s not that much harder to just press the pedal an extra .25-.50” if I wanna go faster or pass a car etc. I am sure it’s nice to have but the pedal is infinitely adjustable by my super fast brain that provides me instant feedback.

plus I hear issues with returns etc so as much as I am sure I would like it, I’ll just press the pedal more for now

Hemi adventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you want to have the fun of PC, but don't like the price, 9 Drive is exact same thing, but only costs $55 US. I've had one for months and love it. Big deal it doesn't have bluetooth, not like I'll be using my phone to change settings anyways.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This exactly-- my 2017 2500 was a dog around town,but I ordered the 9 Drive and set it on 3.5, it now responds quickly and easily. I tried it on higher settings but for me this one is great.

johnh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done a bit of tuning on GM engines that are Drive By Wire, and generally the way these work is to override what the PCM sees and then "throttles" the opening rate of the TB. Depending on the PCM it can limit how fast/how much the TB opens and opening rate. For example, even if you MASH the pedal to the floor the PCM can limit how fast the TB opens (some GM ls engines limit the opening rate, so even if you floor it, the TB "slowly" opens vs. the old cable pull on a carb which could open quickly). This limits how fast the engine revs up and puts out power. Most TB are fully capable of going very quickly to 100%, so to the OP, the limiting factor isn't the TB opening rate, but rather the PCM holding it back--usually as pointed out for emissions, warranty and sometimes safety (imagine 400+ hp hitting the entire drivetrain quickly, spinning the tires, leaving smoke and black marks --- that does sound fun though). These devices changes the signals to the PCM to make it open the TB quicker/faster. I would expect with a tune, you can rewrite the PCM calibration settings to get rid of this, but if you don't want to tune, I'd say these devices would be a fun choice, as they are easily removable.

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I definitely know our trucks have a little bit of pedal lag. I know all the different options that can "get rid of it" and everything. But I've thought about buying a PC and here's my thoughts and I want to know who agrees with me, and if you disagree, with me why do you think I'm wrong?

I'm my profession (network engineer) your connection is only as fast as the slowest link. I believe that carries over to a lot of different things and I believe this is one of them.

I could be wrong in this and correct me of I am but the PCM reads the throttle position sensor and tells the throttle body to open up to whatever percentage.

Now if this is true then you will always be tied to how fast can the pcm read the sensor. How fast can it tell the TB to open up and then how fast can the truck responds to the TB opening up.

I'm my opinion plugging a device into the pedal itself can't make every other device react faster unless every other device is programmed or changed to read faster.

Am I correct in my thought? Am I wrong? If I'm wrong can you explain to me why? It would help me convince myself to get a Pedal Commander lol

Sorry but you're wrong, it works wonders and can bus systems on the low speed network have lag it's a known fact. If you meant should I buy a pedal commander? Yes!

streetpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope this helps. The only thing is on the original signal line it doesnt show the annoying default pedal delay. It was even worse in 4WD Lo. Just ask my wife. I would curse it everytime. The pedal commander straightened that all out. I was hesitant to spend that much on some gizmo but sure glad I did

IMG_4315.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Petal commander is a HACK. Plain and simple. It remaps petal input to make it appear that suddenly the truck is much more responsive.
What it is doing is taking say light throttle input and sending high throttle input to the ECU. The truck thinks your hamming on the accelerator and responds accordingly.

tmccm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It absolutely works. Can actually make throttle response scary quick. Like you have to learn how to work pedal over again. For daily driving, it makes it way to responsive. It also decreases lag time to get transmission to downshift. Does not increase power, but increases power availability on throttle tip-in.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
...and your slowest link is not always your bottleneck.

That's correct with the 9 Drive. It remaps what petal position relates to what throttle position.

Petal Commander remaps what petal position relates to what throttle position, and increases how often the position is reported.

retirednak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I've had one for a couple of months and it made a night and day difference with my EcoDiesel. I would not hesitate to purchase one again

willthrill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a PC question. Is It too late to install one on a ram with 156000 miles.