Heated seats possibly already wired on 2013 Sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a new 2013 Ram R/T. Looking under the seats and feeling around the back I believe there may be two wire sets going into the setback. Does anyone know if the Sport seats my already be setup with the heating pads and wiring?

I know on some other vehicles I have owned that was the case and you had to buy the heated seat module and they worked.

I am trying to figure out if Chrysler may have done the same thing. If anyone knows is there any pictures or descriptions of what to look for. If they already have the pads maybe they are already wired up and the switched simply need to be added and activated.

I did a search on several forums about this but didn't have any luck. I also tried to find a way to lookup part numbers for the seats and see if there are separate ones for the heated and non-heated ones. I didn't have any luck there either.

I'm aware of the mopar accessory and have read some good reviews on it. Thing is I am a little OCD and if I can get lucky and have the factory ones I would prefer it for integration.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SO ai have still been doing research and cannot find another part number. Does anyone maybe have a thought (hopefully a picture) of what wiring at the seat I should look for? Maybe also the wiring for the heated seats that would be coming out of them. I did this on my 2011 SLT and I just had to plug them in and add the lower buttons and they worked. I only had to go to the dealer to flash them so the buttons actually would light up when pressed. That actually gave me the function of the heated seat coming on when remote starting the truck when it was cold out.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
subscribed - don't have answers but I'd do this on my 2013 SLT if it's as easy as it was for your 2011. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just realized that I didn't put one big thing in my last post. I did have to swap out the seats for heated ones. The stock ones were not heated nor did they have the heating elements. That being said the controller for the heated seats was already under the seat.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just did glanced at the parts manual. It looks like if you got a seat that was heated, meaning you got the whole seat with heating element, seat module, seat wiring harness, etc... you should be able to install it, add the instrument panel switch, flash the BCM, and have everything work.

I haven't read through any wiring schematics, nor have I looked at my truck.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, that is what I thought. I have been trying to dig but the dealers around here are not helping. I still cannot verify if the sports seats in the R/T (probably all sports) have a separate part number for a non-heated seat. To me that would seem cost prohibitive and could be a good reason why on the 2014 sport the heated seat and steering wheel are standard. If they do have the heating element in them I would be very surprised if they were not already wired. Would add another step on the assembly line to make sure they were not plugged in. Cannot verify it but, based on all the previous years, the wiring harness is most likely just one and already setup.

As for third party options including the Mopar kit. I have been looking around, and due to the new system bus, they cannot be added. A whole new kit will have to be created. Eventually someone will do it but who knows. I did read that Mopar is working on developing a kit. Honestly, if the wiring is there, the best ting they could do is provide the pads (mst seats don't have them) and the switch. The dealer would simply have to flash them. It woud be less complicated than the rear camera.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks, that is what I thought. I have been trying to dig but the dealers around here are not helping. I still cannot verify if the sports seats in the R/T (probably all sports) have a separate part number for a non-heated seat. To me that would seem cost prohibitive and could be a good reason why on the 2014 sport the heated seat and steering wheel are standard. If they do have the heating element in them I would be very surprised if they were not already wired. Would add another step on the assembly line to make sure they were not plugged in. Cannot verify it but, based on all the previous years, the wiring harness is most likely just one and already setup.

As for third party options including the Mopar kit. I have been looking around, and due to the new system bus, they cannot be added. A whole new kit will have to be created. Eventually someone will do it but who knows. I did read that Mopar is working on developing a kit. Honestly, if the wiring is there, the best ting they could do is provide the pads (mst seats don't have them) and the switch. The dealer would simply have to flash them. It woud be less complicated than the rear camera.

I have looked into the steering wheel before. The heating element is not present in the trucks that did not come with the heated steering wheel. Most everything I have researched on this trick depends more on option codes than it does on trim level.

You would think it's more economical to make less part numbers, but this truck has so many different part numbers for each piece it's overwhelming. My guess is that automated production, and taking has made it take to make so many different parts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We'll i did research on the Mopar accessory heated seat kit as well as some thrid party ones. None of them will work due to the newer electronics. Called and visited 2 dealers and neither one was of very mush help either. They couldn't seem to confirm if there is another part number for heated seats or not. They both were surprised as it is very clear on all other models but the R/T. Lastly, I gave Chrysler Customer Care a shot and they didn't have a clue. They offered to call the dealer for me and see if they could find it.

I think what I am going to need to do is get a factory service manual and take a look at the pictures. At least it would show me what to look for to verify the information. I wish I had access to Chryslers part system. That would be helpful too. Still determined though.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
$35 for 3 day access to the techauthority.com website. I made an account there and saved everything to a PDF.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome, I had no idea about that. Thank you. I will being doing some further research.

I also called Steve White motors as I have bought stuff from them before. They have been known to do stuff along these and create kits to sell to make it happen. Was told the Parts manager was looking into this as well and they are going to do further research and get back to me. They sounded interested in trying to help. Got the impression they thought it may be possible.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a final follow up at this time. The seats do not have the heating pads in them. I guess since Chrysler made them a stick on pad like after market ones they didn't bother just putting them there. I do not have the heater module under the seat either.

Now what i am trying to figure out is if I have the wiring already. Looking at the diagram on the Tech Authority website I think I do as it is part of the main harness. It is not a plug in extra if needed.

Lastly, Talked to the dealer again that went through the trouble of contacting Chrysler directly. They are working on an add on kit but the release date to TBD. They are aware that a lot of owners want to add the option to their trucks. From what he found out is they may make it like the trailer brake kit. It will include the heater module and heating pads for the seats. Along with that it would also include the replacement switch panel and the dealers would then be allowed to add the code. This is why they think all trucks are pre-wired. We'll see.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's what I posted a few days ago.

The parts catalog has a bunch of part numbers for the heated seats and they're all different parts of the seat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, I guess I just didn't pick up on that.

hemipowerv8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Any progress on this? I have a 2013 Sport crew cab and want to add heated seats ASAP. A local aftermarket place quoted me $600 and that seems steep. The high end universal kits are like $250 and I imagine they get better product for wholesale (better) prices. I can't imagine them wanting $350+ for a 2 hour install to put them in the seats and wire tap some power to put the switch in...

I know Mopar does not have one yet. I checked with a buddy that works in the service bay. I've been trying to figure this out for months but now that its 25 degrees in Dallas I'm umm more motivated lol.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Believe it or not its way more than a 2hr install. removing the fabric is not easy. dodge like to glue it down. most accessory shops charge almost as much as a dealer for a tech.

a good shop is probably about 1.5-2 hours per seat.

jaredb909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Id buy one of these add on kits if they end up making them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SO ai have still been doing research and cannot find another part number. Does anyone maybe have a thought (hopefully a picture) of what wiring at the seat I should look for? Maybe also the wiring for the heated seats that would be coming out of them. I did this on my 2011 SLT and I just had to plug them in and add the lower buttons and they worked. I only had to go to the dealer to flash them so the buttons actually would light up when pressed. That actually gave me the function of the heated seat coming on when remote starting the truck when it was cold out.

I'd really appreciate any info like parts, cost, and installation from your 2011. I have an 11 SLT and would love to do it to mine.

Ray

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to not get back on this project. From what I can tell every ram truck is already wired for this. This is the 2013/ 2014. I found 5 or 6 different main harness parts numbers and they all were about the same. There were differences but it was always listed for other options. Nothing to do with anything with the seats.

As for the parts they are not that bad. The heated seats/ steering module is around $65 to $70. The heated pads are about $70 for the backs and about $60 for the bottoms. I found a replacement article and they literally just stick in like aftermarket ones. The switch bank is about $60 too. Lastly, the steering wheel, if you want to go that far, is around $320 to get. Of course it all needs to be installed which I think someone could do as it doesn't seem that complicated. You would then have the cost of having the ECU flashed with the heated seat and steering wheel codes. As of right now Chrysler has not given the deal the ability to add that code in starscan. The dealer I am working with is waiting for that. It's not a cheap kit but gives you full OEM looks and functionality with the hard buttons and the soft ones on the screen.

For you guys with earlier years I know the SLT and up is already wired. At least on the 2010 and up years. I added this to my 2011 alt and the heater module was already under the seat. The only think I was not able to add at the time was the heated steering wheel. I have heard that others have been successful in doing it though. I don't put the pads in my seats but bought a set of used seats that had the heaters in them.

Sorry for such a long post but I hope this helps out. I really think if a lot of people want this then we need to push Chrysler to get a kit together or at least put out instructions for the dealers to add it after the fact.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked under the drivers seat of my 2011 SLT. I didn't see anything that looked like a module of any kind. There was a bunch of empty connectors, but they just looked like connectors and not relays or anything.

When you added the switches, was it just the switch bank that replaces the blank plate with RAM on it under the HVAC controls? And if so where was the harness hiding to connect to those switches in the dash?

Ray

JGM860

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hunter some of those wires under the seat could be for air bag deployment based on the weight of the person sitting in the seat. I also have a 2013 Sport W/O heated seats and want to add using factory switching. If you find out anything please post.
Thanks jgm860