Heater Core Clogged Already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
If it’s a chronic problem you could put a filter in line easily

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Over the last several weeks I have noticed the air coming out of my heater is just barely warm. Turned the temp setting as high as it will go but I don't seem to be getting much heat. Surely don't have a clogged heater core already? Possibly something in the electronics is not telling it the temp I set it at?
Truck is a 2016 2500 6.4 with 40,000mi.
Start the truck and get it fully up to operating temperature.
Turn the heat up fully and raise the hood and feel the heat of the 2 heater hoses... carefully.
If there is a big difference in their temperature, i.e. one is cooler than the other, there id inadequate flow through the core.
If they are equally hot, the problem is in the HVAC air distribution inside the cab. There ya go! :)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not the blend doors it’s the heater core plugs up. I have flushed my heater core out every three weeks through the cold season. I get heat for 2 1/2 three weeks and then it stops until you hit a really big bump sometimes that’ll jar some of the sand out. What I’d like to know is why First second why doesn’t ram warranty this crap and third is there someway to put a filter system on these trucks to stop that sand from going through the core
My solution for chronic heat loss on a 2002 Ram with the 4.7 was to remove the rear most "freeze" core plugs from the block, then douche the coolant passages of the block wit a garden hose and a high pressure nozzle.

After I did it, I was filthy; covered in crud from inside the block. The customer never had any more trouble.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Start the truck and get it fully up to operating temperature.
Turn the heat up fully and raise the hood and feel the heat of the 2 heater hoses... carefully.
If there is a big difference in their temperature, i.e. one is cooler than the other, there id inadequate flow through the core.
If they are equally hot, the problem is in the HVAC air distribution inside the cab. There ya go! :)

Unfortunately, it's not that simple, enough water bypass's the coils of the core (when they are clogged) to give you equal heat on both hoses but no heat in the cab.

The issue is a clogged heater core, it always is on the 4th/5th gen trucks. The 3rd gens had blend door issues but it's almost unheard of in the 4th gen+.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I reverse flushed it first and changed the flow back and forth a couple of times. It seems to have worked for me

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
For me I noticed my truck was not heating up properly and not blowing warm air when it was-30c. I think that the problem was the combination of both problems. I noticed that the temperature wasn’t right and it was taking to long to rebuild. Now that I have done the flush and thermostat it seems to work well but it isn’t -30 anymore

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll add to the confusion. A few years ago my daughter had a boyfriend with a F150 that had little to no heat. We flushed the cooling system twice. Replaced the thermostat. Back flushed the heater core twice and still no heat. As a last attempt we pulled the water pump. The blades of the pump were deteriorated so badly it struggled to move water. New water pump solved the problem but that was a Ford and Rams are known for plugged heater cores.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My solution for chronic heat loss on a 2002 Ram with the 4.7 was to remove the rear most "freeze" core plugs from the block, then douche the coolant passages of the block wit a garden hose and a high pressure nozzle.

After I did it, I was filthy; covered in crud from inside the block. The customer never had any more trouble.
I have read about this method. Any issues with corrosion internally from using tap water? Can't get it all out. Guess on a 20 year old motor, who cares.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007